PDA

View Full Version : SEO?

Christian1290
11-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Hi, anyone familiar with SEO and or google ad words? I started my own mens clothing online retail company last month and i'm trying to learn as much as possible. I know this is critical when trying to get traffic through your website, an was wondering does anyone really know the ins and outs.

Thanks

smartlink
11-30-2013, 12:07 AM
I do indeed. For starters check out moz.com. There's a helpful beginner guide. If you need services for seo check out my sig. My site is being updated at the moment. Cheers.

Wozcreative
12-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Usually the first place you need to look is the website itself. Aside from you selling clothes, you are also selling the website. If and when you do get users are they convinced that the company is legitimate, trust worthy? Can they easily find what they are looking for? Do they know what they should be doing once they get to the site?

I had a client call me asking me about SEO earlier this week. When I went to his website I understood right away why he wasn't getting business even though he had an outside company getting him visitors. The website itself was very dark. There was about 30+ buttons/navigations showing up on the home page. there was about 8 call to actions (call me, email me, sign up for my newsletter, download my e-book, all screaming for your attention). The site itself offered no value for customers to learn about the business and become emotionally connected with the products or services being sold.

Unless your products are quick and dirt cheap, you should be focusing on the site and not traffic itself. Given that you are looking for the "ins and outs" gives me a bit of the heeby jeebys... because someone must have told you that once you build it they come. Not how it works. It's a process and there is NO in an out about it.

Having said that, you can post your website and we can give you feedback on what isn't working.

huggytree
12-01-2013, 07:34 PM
don't count on Adwords to do much for your business

ive played with it for years...spending hundreds a month a few times.....I now have something that works...it costs me $15 a month and typically gets me 1 $200-400 job a month

if your going to play with it do it small...don't go all out until you find something that works

billbenson
12-01-2013, 10:58 PM
don't count on Adwords to do much for your business

ive played with it for years...spending hundreds a month a few times.....I now have something that works...it costs me $15 a month and typically gets me 1 $200-400 job a month

if your going to play with it do it small...don't go all out until you find something that works

Hmm no.

I pay between $500 and $600 a month for adwords and it easily pays for itself.

Adwords isn't a walk in the park though. You need to know how to use it.

painperdu
12-04-2013, 03:42 AM
AdWords can be great for a product like clothing but it does require a lot of attention and work. The innovations Google has made and keeps coming up with are great but you do need to keep on top of it all.

Steve B
12-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Adwords is easily the best money I spend on my business. I find it incredibly easy - not sure why it would need so much attention for people.

billbenson
12-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Adwords is easily the best money I spend on my business. I find it incredibly easy - not sure why it would need so much attention for people.

Steve, it generally is a difficult thing. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that you are a local business in a very niche industry.

I only have one add running these days because I rank well in the natural SERPS, but when I was first starting I had about 100 ads with their own landing pages. That's when I really started making decent money.

I think most businesses will need to use the formula: keywords -> targeted ad -> targeted landing page.

I think that is why Huggy has had so much trouble with AdWords. He doesn't follows the above formula and in particular he doesn't write a landing page for each ad. There are other factors that come into play as well such as budgets etc.

patrickprecisione
12-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I'm with Bill.

I recently started using the dynamic ads option in Adwords. Has anyone tried this yet?

Vaira
12-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Have you though about organic marketing? Getting your site to be one of the first ones without Adwords help? It does take longer but the results prove to be more stable over the time. Writing regular posts, content updates, using the right keywords, getting backlinks. Let me know if I can explain more!

Google gets smarter and monopolizes the market even more. Regular updates and fresh, unique content are valued more and more. Adwords keyword purchases on the other hand - more and more expensive, it's very easy to burn your advertising budget in hours and still not get the people you are looking for.

billbenson
12-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Have you though about organic marketing? Getting your site to be one of the first ones without Adwords help? It does take longer but the results prove to be more stable over the time. Writing regular posts, content updates, using the right keywords, getting backlinks. Let me know if I can explain more!

Google gets smarter and monopolizes the market even more. Regular updates and fresh, unique content are valued more and more. Adwords keyword purchases on the other hand - more and more expensive, it's very easy to burn your advertising budget in hours and still not get the people you are looking for.

The thing is, if you use adwords in the way I described, it will also improve your organic searches. Ranking in organic searches takes time. Adwords took me weeks, not years. but eventually your adwords pages if done properly can help with SERPS.

painperdu
12-06-2013, 07:56 AM
I agree Bill. If you are doing AdWords correct then you are also optimizing your pages for organic search.

Also, as Google is pushing organic results lower in the SERPs when the search intent is commercial using AdWords is becoming more of a necessity.

UK_Business_Consultant
12-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Adwords can be expensive if you get it wrong but fantastic if you get it right. There is a lot to it and while some people get it right first time, most do not.

Start small, test, learn and experiment. I was spending about $1000 per month for one of my businesses then recently I made some changes which cut the cost to less then half and I am getting more calls so it pays to keep working on it.

I also have another business where natural SEO brings it right up to the top of the first page on Google every time for pretty much every version of the product on the site. If you learn how to do both then you will do well.

marrick
12-28-2013, 01:46 AM
Familiarization is one of the best keys in learning SEO or even ad words. There are numerous of websites that you can visit such as search engine land, moz.com, high rankings, and search engine watch. those are good sources of learning seo.

The first thing you need to know is the basic role of SEO for users and search engines. Search Engine Land made a good video collaboration how seo works. You can start there.

ryantc
01-05-2014, 07:27 PM
There is a lot of information regarding SEO on the web.
Here are some sites you might want to take a look at.
What Is SEO? (http://www.whatisseo.com/), What Is SEO / Search Engine Optimization? (http://searchengineland.com/guide/what-is-seo)

Osprey
01-06-2014, 11:41 AM
AdWords can be great for a product like clothing but it does require a lot of attention and work. The innovations Google has made and keeps coming up with are great but you do need to keep on top of it all.

Adwords depends on your market - In part of my market (IT Services for business) it is not a good investment at all, the ROI was a lot lower than hiring a 3rd sales rep. However, on the telemarketing side of my business, Google Adwords really provided a significant value to us.

To the OP: Read up on these things - Site Keyword Density & Adword Keywords; Quality Score; Adword ROI. Finally, Google Adwords may not be for you... maybe because your site is visual (cool clothing), Pinterest or some other Social Media may be better for advertising.

CD2Solutions
01-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Hi, anyone familiar with SEO and or google ad words? I started my own mens clothing online retail company last month and i'm trying to learn as much as possible. I know this is critical when trying to get traffic through your website, an was wondering does anyone really know the ins and outs.

Thanks

I do indeed. For starters check out moz.com. There's a helpful beginner guide.

seconded. moz.com has a huge pdf document that is filled with useful information

vangogh
01-08-2014, 12:20 AM
I'll add a recommendation for Moz.com as well. I've learned a lot through their site. I've been subscribed to their blog for 7 years I think. Generally good information and plenty of beginner resources.