PDA

View Full Version : Turning negatives into positives

Steve B
02-11-2009, 05:26 AM
A couple current threads about bad customers and elderly customers that require extra time reminded me of some experiences I had a long time ago that taught me a lesson.

I worked my way through college working in hotels, mostly as a Bellman. What I found out was the absolute best thing that could happen for me was for the customer to have some kind of bad experience while at the hotel. Lost luggage, not enough towels, dirty room upon check-in, etc. Why? Because that was my opportunity to make things better for them, show them how much we appreciated their business, and ... you guessed it .... make a bigger than average tip. When everything goes smoothly - there are few opportunities to make the experience memorable for the customer. But when things go wrong, that is your chance to shine.

Obviously, a business owner doesn't want to create a bad situation on purpose, but when they happen ... make sure you take advantage of the negative and turn it into a positive.

I know it's an extreme example, but there are 154 people (and maybe millions more) that will never forget the pilot of U.S. Airways flight 1549 because of the way the pilot handled the situation after something bad happened (losing both engines due to a bird strike).

The same concept applies to those that are generally hard to please. I love it when I have a customer that is cynical about my fence during the sale. When they see how well it works, they usually are twice as vocal about how happy they are. Their friends know they normally complain about everything - and take note when they hear how happy they are with something. I've gotten comments like "if you can make old Joe happy ... you must be doing something right".

So, if you have a customer that is hard to please - I suggest you see it as an opportunity. Take it as a challenge, spend a little extra time and see if you can turn the situation into something positive. These customers can become your biggest fans.

Anyone else have similar experiences turning negatives into positives?

CraigFLA
02-11-2009, 07:55 AM
I agree... I've worked at places that look at the order and if it wasn't very profitable they don't offer good service. For your reputation, it is important that everyone gets good service.

KristineS
02-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Definitely something to be said for that philosophy Steve. Although you will occasionally get a customer you just can't make happy, the majority will work with you to resolve the situation and achieve a satisfactory result.

Steve B
02-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Although you will occasionally get a customer you just can't make happy, the majority will work with you to resolve the situation and achieve a satisfactory result.

And those that you can't make happy can get their money back.

One of the few customers that I couldn't make happy wrote a postive testimonial that is on my website. It verifies that I stand behind my guarantee.

Does anyone have any specific examples to share?

thx4yrtym
02-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Steve,

When I read your post it sounds like you are building a business that could be passed to one of your grand children some day. IOW an attitude to serve for the long term.

I worked 10 years for a window manufacturer located in the Midwest but owned by a much larger company located out east. Company is no longer in business. I was a wholesale rep calling on dealers in parts of 5 states. I setup new accounts but spent most of my time helping with service problems. My way of keeping the dealers was to make all of their problems go away and there were a lot of problems. Poor design + poor manufacturing = junk.

The point is that this company came from a position that there was a real dense population and good service wasn't something they could afford. There were other customers out there. Like I said they are no longer in business, that business model failed in the Midwest!

The company sent out a survey and when it came back, I was asked what I was doing because in their words " your dealers think you walk on water". The only thing I was doing is provide good service.

I would guess that you enjoy the sales process as well. Some business people view the process as pushing and some view it as pulling or leading. Most don't know the difference.
I've talked about this stuff before. The sales process is a huge part of being in business. If folks don't care to get good at it, perhaps it would make sense to find someone who is good at it and let them handle the sales/service.

I'll repeat this again:
Selling is helping people find a solution to their problem and make them feel good about it.

good service is constantly exceeding the customer's expectations.

I don't need to tell you this- you obviously get it!

Regards,

cbscreative
02-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Excellent points. I've worked for companies on both sides of this fence. As an employee, it is very helpful to be given enough authority to do the right thing when bad things happen. Your hotel example demonstrates that too. If the hotel had not backed you up, it would have reflected on them.

I am now a very loyal customer of Discount Tire for the same reason. I had a bad experience on a road trip several years ago, and was so well treated by a Discount Tire store that they won my business ever since, and I have never had a bad experience with them. The bad experience had nothing to do with Discount Tire, that's just where I ended up to have the problem solved, and they took care of it above the call of duty. They exceeded my expectations!

Blessed
02-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Good points Steve and I agree 100%!

huggytree
02-11-2009, 02:36 PM
turning a neg. into a pos. has always been one of the things i live by...

If the Neg. is created by something you did its not very difficult to fix...everyone makes mistakes...its how you handle it that helps you keep customers....ive made a few mistakes and always admitt to them and correct them....and then look for something extra you can do for free to make up for it....

when i cant find something extra i usually give them a gift...the last one was a family of 8...i gave them a $100 for a expensive restuarant so they could take a break and have a nice night out...when i showed up on the job site she ran upstairs to thank me and ask for business cards..

the wind slammed the screen door into a toolbox and poked a hole through it. i called a repair man and it was replaced the next day..all handled in 24 hours and flawless..they also asked me for cards when i finished and promised me their next project!

i had a tub which got damaged(i think it was someone else)..no one would admit to it, so i paid $200 out of my pocket for repairs..when the homeowner found out it was out of my pocket they offered to pay for 1/2...i said no....i could have blamed the builder on this project, but because he was a repeat customer i had to eat it...90% chance it wasnt my fault, but because tens of thousands were at stake i ate it...he still uses me and we both examine the tubs after they are installed now to avoid arguing...i could have blamed him and been stubborn, but decided just handle it and forget it....i used a high end repair shop and made sure the homeowner and builder knew i paid extra for the best!

when you didnt do a neg. to the customer is it your job to turn HIS neg into a pos.?

i really dont know if you can say YES or NO to this one...i think its case by case...

Steve B
02-12-2009, 05:49 AM
when you didnt do a neg. to the customer is it your job to turn HIS neg into a pos.?

i really dont know if you can say YES or NO to this one...i think its case by case...

I agree it would be case by case. But, there will definitely be opporunities to fix a customer's mistake and come out ahead.

I loved your example about the tub. That builder will never forget the way you handled that.