PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep track of your to do items

orion_joel
02-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi All,

I have been posting a bit in the Web area for a while and thought maybe i needed a little diversification.

Anyway interested to hear how you keep track of the things that you need to do. Do you use a to do list, or what? Also how do you ensure that you actually get these things done?

I have been using an A5 book and writing out a to do list the previous day for the next each day. Also i have been using a scoring system to try and keep track of how much i get done and dont get done each day?

Evan
02-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I use Microsoft Outlook and put all my To-Do items and the due dates. I'll also prioritize them. As my phone is Windows based (for better or worse), I can sync my phone and computer very easily, and the To-Do items are also there. It's just important to make sure that you spend time actually looking at the list every day and working towards accomplishing those items.

orion_joel
02-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Hmm that is not actually something that i had thought of at this point. For the most part my to do list only contains things that will be done on that day, or that should be able to be accomplished in a single day. Also for me most of the deadlines are open ended, but i still want to get them done as soon as i can, that is why i am trying to work with a to do list over just randomly working on different things.

Dan Furman
02-09-2009, 12:19 AM
I use three things:

Yellow Pad (weekly)

Spiral bound "Month at a Glance" calendar... the 8 1/2 x 11 (or so) size. I can put stuff months away in here and won't forget it, because I can write it right in the day (each day is about a 1"x2" block)

Whiteboard hung up. Underlined red for not done, green for done, and red/green for done but not delivered.

Works really well for me.

I attempted to use Outlook and other scheduling programs a few times, but it all hinged on my entering it right then - and I let it slip a few times because it was tedious, the computer was rebooting, etc... I can see where they are great for people who actually enter the stuff in, but for me, I like the low tech way better.

orion_joel
02-09-2009, 12:31 AM
I think the reason that i erred away from the computer based option is that i have tried to stop going to outlook so often, so the calender is not as useful or me because outlook is not often open. Also any other electronic option would probably leave me getting tired of it. I use a paper based option because it is easy to quickly flick through it and get a good idea of what i did and didnt do and easy to update without flicking between programs. I just have a highlighter sitting on the book when i do something i highlight a little square next to it.

Steve B
02-09-2009, 07:01 AM
I do what Evan does. I always have it with me on the Blackberry and Outlook is always open on the computer. I synch up several times a week - so it is always current. It does require discipline to actually LOOK at it - which I don't always do.

KristineS
02-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm low tech. I have a notepad that sits on my desk that has my daily to do list. I have a three month calendar on a wall in my office that tracks large project deadlines.

nealrm
02-09-2009, 01:25 PM
I went to Lowe's and picked up a 4'x8' sheet of whiteboard. They cut it into third for me. One third sits over my desk, one third is at my wife's desk and one third went to the kids as a drawing board.

I simply list my to-do list on the board. I remove item once complete.

Blessed
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM
to do list? I'm supposed to have a to do list? I guess that's what I've been doing wrong...

Actually I have a whiteboard on my living room wall, a notepad by my laptop on the couch and a "to do" list widget on my igoogle home page. But my most often referred to list is the one I keep in my head... I've really got to work on this!

orion_joel
02-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Blessed, having a to do list certainly does work, it gives you points of focus, and that is really i think what you need to be able to get things done. If you are always sitting down to do work and just running through the things you are thinking of needing to do in your head you are often bound to miss something, where as if you have a list in front of you it is much easier to pin point the one thing that you do actually need to do.

Evan
02-09-2009, 11:28 PM
And with Google Calendar, I also sync it up to Google. So if I'm away from my office, I can see my calendar at any computer. At some point it all sync's up with my phone, and I just keep on with my day!

It requires a lot of discipline, but if you can do it -- the system can work quite well!

KristineS
02-10-2009, 10:18 AM
I love having a written list. It keeps me on track, and it helps me make sure I'm not forgetting anything. I can't imagine trying to track things in my head.

orion_joel
02-10-2009, 07:10 PM
I think the other thing with a written paper list was made clear by someone i read a comment somewhere last night, that "It is so much more satisfying marketing things off a paper list" Which is kind of my feeling, i can click a button to check someone off but getting a pen or highlighter and dragging it across the item, really does make it seem more real that it is complete.

seolman
02-10-2009, 10:02 PM
12,482 post it notes...

orion_joel
02-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Sounds interesting, have you considering making them your wallpaper in your office? It could make an interesting collection if you have pictures on them as well.

seolman
02-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Sounds interesting, have you considering making them your wallpaper in your office? It could make an interesting collection if you have pictures on them as well.

.....Office?

KristineS
02-11-2009, 08:44 AM
I think the other thing with a written paper list was made clear by someone i read a comment somewhere last night, that "It is so much more satisfying marketing things off a paper list" Which is kind of my feeling, i can click a button to check someone off but getting a pen or highlighter and dragging it across the item, really does make it seem more real that it is complete.

I have to agree, there is something satisfying about crossing things off my list. The more scribbled out tasks I have, the more I feel I've accomplished. I know it's really no different than deleting a task off my to do list on the computer, but crossing it off the list just feels more satisfying.

Dan F
02-11-2009, 09:00 AM
I use a web based 'To Do list'. Since I use a personalized browser home page (netvibes.com), I make use of a To Do List applet. Both PC and laptop are set to use the same home page, so it's synced that way.

EDIT: I also colour code the list for different plans. I also use my Google account for the Calendar, e-mail and contacts. I also sync the bookmarks using the Foxmarks plugin on Firefox so that bookmarks are synced both on my laptop, PC, or anywhere in the world.

Blessed
02-11-2009, 01:39 PM
12,482 post it notes...

you've got me beat - I think I only have about 6,978 post it notes, the rest of the list is scribbled on napkins, envelope flaps and the palm of my hand...

orion_joel
02-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Oh so sorry seolman, i forgot. I thought the post its all over the wall may have made it look like an office.

huggytree
02-12-2009, 07:42 AM
i try to keep up with things and not let them get to a list...

the only thing i put off and do once a week is paying bills & incoming checks

i do invoicing every day..i want my money asap

for my jobs i schedule on a large calendar

for the few times i have more to do than i can handle i write it down on a list..its never more then 5 items

Marcomguy
02-12-2009, 05:33 PM
My to-do lists are precision-crafted on a cutting-edge platform of ink and dead tree technology.

orion_joel
02-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Marcomguy, i think i would like the honour of naming that special technology you are using. I think we should knight it as "Pen and Paper". What do you think, maybe you way is more descriptive and possibly better though.

Marcomguy
02-14-2009, 11:25 AM
OJ, thank you for coming up with the right name! :) Short and sweet.

billbenson
02-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Excel works well as well. You can sort by date fields etc. Stuff that is urgent you can put in bold. A database would probably be a better solution- Something like access if you know how to use it. If you need it accessable both when you are out of the office and in the office from different pc's or other devices there are plenty of free todo scripts out there. I typed in php todo script and got a bunch of results.

kml9870
02-19-2009, 05:58 AM
I use outlook too. Like Evan, my phone synchs with my outlook so I always have my list with me. I'm not always somewhere I can write when a task comes up, but I always have my phone with me. I set a due date for each task and a reminder so both my computer and my phone will remind me if I either don't get it done or I forget to mark it complete. I find it extremely useful especially when I take the time to analyze my 'done' list. It helps plan for the future when I see where I have spent the most time recently, what tasks have taken longer to complete than I anticipated, etc.

multiplexed
03-01-2009, 09:58 PM
A quicky for those of us who love freebies ...

Full desktop Outlook usually comes bundled with a windows mobile pda.

Also, last I checked, Palm gave away software called palm desktop. It has both calendar and tasks, for free.