PDA

View Full Version : Business partner needed - Where do I find?

OldFashioned
11-01-2013, 04:30 PM
Ok second post so please bear with me.

I'm looking at investing into a franchise. The estimated start up cost (everything) is $360k. The franchise would like to see $150k of liquid capital before I get a loan for the remaining $210k. I have $75, but need a partner for the remaining $75k.

How do you recommend finding someone to go in as partners? Is there another option you can think of where I don't get a partner (other than robbing a bank)?

Freelancier
11-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Got an accountant? See if he/she knows an angel investor network in your area. Same with your lawyer, same with the local business school (if you have a university somewhere nearby).

Twhansbury
11-04-2013, 02:11 PM
You mentioned that it was a franchise you were looking to invest in. You also might want to look at current owners and see about them investing. Many franchises have limits or prohibit owners from owning to many entities individually and a investment in yours could be welcomed.

bjay99
06-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Have you exhausted your personal network - friends and family?

If so, ask the franchising company to recommend possible partners. I am guessing they get a number of applications where the applicant is lacking X amount of liquid capital. At this point, he can introduce the two of you together. You will get a partner who is interested in the business already.

Ok second post so please bear with me.

I'm looking at investing into a franchise. The estimated start up cost (everything) is $360k. The franchise would like to see $150k of liquid capital before I get a loan for the remaining $210k. I have $75, but need a partner for the remaining $75k.

How do you recommend finding someone to go in as partners? Is there another option you can think of where I don't get a partner (other than robbing a bank)?

FVA
06-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Friends and Family is the way to go. it's too small to attract an outside investor. Start by asking everyone you know if they know someone. Make sure you have a definitive structure in mind that will be attractive to an investor. Make a proposal that has specific rates of return and specific timelines. There is an investor for every deal. If you talk to enough people, you'll find them. Also, for such a small amount, you may be able to get 3 or more friends to chip in together.

Kyle Johnston
03-19-2015, 10:49 AM
I agree that family and friends can be a good place to find a partner. Be careful however, if things go south with the business it can ruin personal relationships. If you have taped out this option, you can always look online for a partner. You can look into the following sites:

1. Founder2be
2. Cofounderslab
3. Businesspartners

Be cautious with these options because you never know who you are getting. Get to know the person before you sign on the dotted line.

You can also look for a silent partner just for the investment amount. This way all if the business decision and direction will be left solely up to you.