PDA

View Full Version : someone is using my home phone and address

bwat05
02-08-2009, 09:32 PM
So I began receiving phone messages about a week ago for someone named Daniel. I am now getting various pieces of mail delivered to my home as well.

I assume someone is atttempting to establish a residence in order to obtain credit.
So far my credit report is clean and I don't think it is an attempt to steal my identity, but I want to stop this before it gets worse.

I am going to try to talk to the mail man when I see him. I assume that I will have to call the Attorney Generals office as well for guidance.

Does anyone have any experience with this or have suggestions?

nealrm
02-08-2009, 09:40 PM
First I would contact the 3 credit agencies and have them place a freeze on your accounts. This means that they should contact you directly before releasing credit information. That should at least make it harder for someone to open an account in your name.

The mailman will be of little help. I would contact the post office directly.

orion_joel
02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
We have the phone issue a number of times, however i think for us it is more likely a mis type or something but it has happened twice where we will get anything up to a dozen wrong numbers for the one company in a period of about 2 to 3 weeks. but the numbers are usually nothing like ours.

It is worth taking precautions though i dont know that they would be after your identity, if they are using a different name anyway.

Vivid Color Zack
02-12-2009, 01:10 PM
I bet it's just a mixup somewhere. How can they use your home to establish residency if they don't have access to your mail to bring in statements or bills to prove anything?

huggytree
02-12-2009, 02:22 PM
there are services which monitor your credit...it costs $20 a month or less and anytime your credit rating is checked you get notified....if someone uses your name to apply for a credit card you will know...if someone takes out a loan in your name you will know..

i protected myself and my wife....yea its $20 a month, but if someone does steal your identity they repair it for free.

bwat05
02-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I filed a complaint with the FTC and am monitoring my credit reports.
I don't think it is a mixup considering that my address and home phone are both being used.
I am getting letters and calls from car loan companies, credit repair firms, work from home programs and even Anthem.
I don't know of anyone who would be getting all of these type of calls on a daily basis.
So I am calling some of the companies directly when I get mail and explaining the situation but they don't care or have time to worry about one piece of mail that was probably generated from an online inquiry.

huggytree
02-14-2009, 10:03 AM
the average amount of time to repair credit history is like 100+ hours

billbenson
02-14-2009, 12:01 PM
I'd be more inclined to think that someone is applying for a credit card in your name. They probably plan to come by your mail box and pick it up. Is your mail box on the street? Are you home when the mail comes?

That doesn't explain all the propaganda you are getting though.

huggytree
02-14-2009, 12:57 PM
maybe someday youll find someone in your house when you get home and he'll tell you to get out of his house.

Evan
02-14-2009, 10:20 PM
maybe someday youll find someone in your house when you get home and he'll tell you to get out of his house.

It'd be scarier if he looked like you and was wearing the same thing you were!

bwat05
02-15-2009, 08:31 PM
It'd be scarier if he looked like you and was wearing the same thing you were!

Yeah especially if we were wearing the same "who farted" shirt hahahaha

Concerned
03-03-2009, 10:57 AM
I believe someone is trying to steal my identity. I noticed about a week ago that my Verizon bill had a new charge on it. When I called I found out someone had gone to a company that for a fee will provide a private mailbox. Someone had done this using my phone number. A Security Co called yesterday doing a survey and claimed I had signed up on line for more info. Also, I have received several calls saying I signed up to get more information about furthering my education. Both the security co and the telephone Company said someone named Cody did this. I actually got the e-mail of Cody and its an e-mail where after the e-mail is read or sent it can be erased forever. This alarms me and I will have to get an unpublished number. This is a hassle and some of my customers may not be able to reach me. I will also start checking my credit reports. I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else

vangogh
03-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your trouble with the possible identity theft. Can't say it's happened to me and I don't wish it to happen to anyone.

Sounds like you're doing what you can. You probably will need to keep a listed number for business unless you can generate enough contacts through a website with an email address and form. Maybe you'll want a new number, but you'll probably still want a listed number if it's for business.

Concerned
03-14-2009, 10:00 AM
I have changed my phone to an unpublished number. I spoke to a collegue who said she also discovered on her phone bill a charge she did not recognize for a private voice mail box. She thought the company might be doing this to lots of people. The name of the company is ILD teleservices. Check your phone bills carefully. Especially if you are in Maryland.

I also discovered that an elderly friend of mine was signing up for RiteAide Sweepstakes using my phone number because he does not answer his phone. I was really upset after I changed my number to an unpublished number and told him my story and he signed up again using my unpublished number. He is a child in an adult body and naively believed Rite Aide would not sell my phone number. I immediately started getting sales calls on my unpublished number! I will sign up this number for the "Do not call list," but I may have to change my number again.

bwat05
03-14-2009, 10:48 AM
I believe I have discovered who has been using my number and address as well.
My wife recently parted ways with a friend of hers who is in my opinion an actual sociopath.
After calling some of the companies who were contacting us I discovered that each company was contacted over a two day period one weekend.
It turns out that this person has done this before!
We haven't recieved anymore calls or letters in the mail for a couple of weeks now.