PDA

View Full Version : sales tax

billbenson
02-06-2009, 03:58 PM
I live and work in FL. Manufacture dropships from MN. Do I need to charge sales tax for FL shipments?

This is a change in the way I was structured. I was paid a commission from a Puerto Rico company who placed the orders; effectively a straight commission sales person for the Puerto Rico company.

pete
02-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Unless the manufacturer has an office or distribution center in FL, no you do not. But you will be charged MN sales taxes by the manufacturer for any orders delivered in MN or any other state they have a physical presence.

Main office in Chicago, then taxes in IL, too, as an example.

You cannot legally collect these taxes in other states, but you, as the manufacturer's customer are obligated to pay them. Only way around it is to open a sales tax account in each state they reside and go through the monthly or quarterly forms. But without a sales tax account, you cannot collect, just pay.

Evan
02-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Yes, you're from FL and if selling to someone in FL must collect sales tax. Sales tax must be collected unless they have a tax-exemption or are re-selling it themselves.

Sales tax in MN, or any other place where they have a location, may also be assessed if they are delivering to that destination. It depends on the state law. Generally, if you have a resellers certificate, they won't charge sales tax if it's being sent within the same state (MN to MN). But some states require it to be charged, even if you're a reseller. Each state has different law, so the answer is: "it depends" for the other states.

If they don't have a distribution center in Georgia, and you don't have an office in Georgia (using Georgia only as an example), then no sales tax needs to be withheld. But that doesn't mean it isn't owned -- that company is suppose to file for the "use" tax to pay their fair share. Of course very few people actually do that.