Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: help wordpress templating

  1. #1
    Member Needs New Keyboard Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    616

    Default help wordpress templating

    Hello all.

    I am working on making my wordpress blog, I came acorss a plugin that generates all the differeent types of content types for the blog. I know cant find it!

    Has anyone come across a way to insert all comments, posts and other content to test your css too?

    Also there are several different ways someone can come upon your blog, whats the best way to close those entries points?
    Site Design - ResnoDesigns
    New Tech Podcast: TechMisfits

  2. #2
    Member Needs New Keyboard Array orion_joel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,242

    Default

    Possibly one of the better ways to protect your blog from people visiting it is to put the install in a password protected directory on the web server. Most hosts i believe allow this someway or other.

    Is it really needed a plug in to add test data, it shouldnt take to long to add in 2 or 3 fake posts, and some comments on them. All you would need to do is ensure that for text styling have every possible option in one of the posts, so that you are truly testing everything.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

  3. #3
    Member Needs New Keyboard Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    616

    Default

    True, but I was looking for new plugins and came across it. Just wondering if anyone used it or had any tools for Wordpress template creating.
    Site Design - ResnoDesigns
    New Tech Podcast: TechMisfits

  4. #4
    Post Impressionist Array vangogh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boulder, Colorado
    Posts
    13,500

    Default

    Bryan instead of a plugin try this sample content file. It's an xml file of sample content that you just import into your blog. It should have everything you need.

    WP Candy is also a great site in general and worth subscribing to.
    l Search Engine Friendly Web Design | Vanseo Design
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Custom WordPress Themes |Get my book about Design Fundamentals

  5. #5
    Member Needs New Keyboard Array seolman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Heredia, Costa Rica
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Another great tool for tweaking CSS in Wordpress (and any site for that matter) is a slick little add-on for Firefox called "Web Developer". It adds a toolbar to FireFox. You select "View Style Information", then select any page component and a window pops open indicating the exact stylesheet affecting the page component and the line(s) where you can find the code. It's awesome for making quick changes to page layout.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now? | Drupal Development

  6. #6
    Member Needs New Keyboard Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seolman View Post
    Another great tool for tweaking CSS in Wordpress (and any site for that matter) is a slick little add-on for Firefox called "Web Developer". It adds a toolbar to FireFox. You select "View Style Information", then select any page component and a window pops open indicating the exact stylesheet affecting the page component and the line(s) where you can find the code. It's awesome for making quick changes to page layout.
    Yes I have that plugin, and Firebug also which gives added javascript error messages. Plus it uses Yahoo's Yslow and can help you find whats slowing your website down.
    Site Design - ResnoDesigns
    New Tech Podcast: TechMisfits

  7. #7
    Member Needs New Keyboard Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    Bryan instead of a plugin try this sample content file. It's an xml file of sample content that you just import into your blog. It should have everything you need.

    WP Candy is also a great site in general and worth subscribing to.
    Thanks Steve. That was exactly what I was looking for! And it showed how incomplete my blog is. I am working on a v. 3 to my site and wanted to do this one right.

    Site Design - ResnoDesigns
    New Tech Podcast: TechMisfits

  8. #8
    Post Impressionist Array vangogh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boulder, Colorado
    Posts
    13,500

    Default

    Glad I could help point you to it. I had read that post and grabbed the file not too long ago so it was still fresh in my mind.
    l Search Engine Friendly Web Design | Vanseo Design
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Custom WordPress Themes |Get my book about Design Fundamentals

  9. #9
    Member Needs New Keyboard Array seolman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Heredia, Costa Rica
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rezzy View Post
    Yes I have that plugin, and Firebug also which gives added javascript error messages. Plus it uses Yahoo's Yslow and can help you find whats slowing your website down.
    So I'm preaching to the converted!
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now? | Drupal Development

  10. #10
    Member Needs New Keyboard Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seolman View Post
    So I'm preaching to the converted!
    Yep. I search the site all time for plugins that can help me work.
    Site Design - ResnoDesigns
    New Tech Podcast: TechMisfits

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •