Thread: Business from home - rules/laws etc

Default Business from home - rules/laws etc

What are the laws governing this?

Are you allowed to run a small business from home or do you need specific permission from the local council?

I understand there can be issues if you dedicate a room in the house to business but this wont be the case.

I live on a relatively new estate (10 yrs old) and have heard about covenants restricting businesses etc as well.

If I run a business which may involve people coming to the house (although possibly only 1-2 day max) and the neighbours complain (which is a distinct possibility) will there be consequences?

Array

It all depends on your local laws and neighborhood restrictions and what kind of business it is.
    Steve B

Array

Call city hall, they will tell you if your zoning allows for home businesses and if a city license is required. If there is a home owners association, you will need to check if they allow home businesses.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Array

For me, I need a license from the city in which my house is located. I also need a license from cities in which I conduct business for more than 7 days, meaning I actively advertise and participate in events where I seek business from local businesses.

Then, of course, if you are incorporated the state process to incorporate.