Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet forums... tough nuts to crack.

Array

Default Internet forums... tough nuts to crack.

Lots of people have told me one of the best ways to market your products online is to join forums and post there. I belong to quite a few; many woodworking ones, because that's where my building supply pouches would be useful. Then there's the agricultural equipment side of things. I have covers for that too.
    The trouble is, many times when I post, if I even start to mention my products, someone accuses me of spamming. I usually contact moderators first, to see what leeway I have, but once the posters see a knock on my post, the bloodthirst comes out. Two or three more gang up on me and then the point of my original post is lost.
    It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be really frustrating, especially on farming forums. Most of these guys are farmers, so typically entrepreneurs like me. They often jump at me the quickest. I'm trying to provide a product that serves a real need for them, but the only way to get the word out is to advertise on said forum. I can't afford that right now; I'm only doing this part-time. Business is growing, but not enough to let me spend a couple hundred dollars a month for a tiny ad on a forum. What little money I can squeeze out right now for advertising, I put into a trade show, hoping to reach a larger audience.

Anyway, sorry to drone on, but I'm wondering if there is another angle to go at these forums.
    Lloyd Kerry
    Creator of the Kerry-All Pouch
    For more information, visit http://www.kerryallpouch.com e-mail info@kerrywoodworking.com

In general, you need to be a contributing part of a forum before you can spread the word about your product. You will notice that a lot of new posters have links removed from their posts here as well. Here we are interested in the small business aspect of what you are doing more than buying your product so even on a first post, you may not have had a link to your site removed if the post was informative and you didn't make the same post on a bunch of different forums.

In a woodworking forum, talk woodworking. Hopefully you can put a link in the footer like you can here. People will click on it to see what you are up to, but don't pitch your product in the post unless it is after you have been posting for a while and is VERY on topic.

Array

Thanks, Bill,
    That's exactly what I try to do. Usually it works, but like I said, sometimes I think some forum members lie in the shadows waiting for the first chance to jump a post as spam! I don't post prices or make suggestions to buy my products. If a post seems like I could help, I would PM them and ask if I can help. The forum that sparked the initial post above doesn't have private messaging, so I was a little more direct in my question to him. Then... bang! A couple of guys were all over me, until the moderator pointed out that I was behaving properly. It might have done something, because between that post, two new additions to my website and a press release posted by a tool review site on my new products, my website hits jumped four times on Monday and ten times on Tuesday!
    Lloyd Kerry
    Creator of the Kerry-All Pouch
    For more information, visit http://www.kerryallpouch.com e-mail info@kerrywoodworking.com

Refugee from the .com
    Array

One of the nice things here on SBF is the dignity of the members and you're not likely to have that experience here. I've been on forums where the members are just like you described and ready to pounce at any time. Sadly, most forums are like that which is one reason I appreciate this place.

Even in the most cordial places, forums take a long time to establish your reputation of trust. It's best if you expect nothing in return, then you can't be disappointed. Also, deciding that you want to be there with or without any monetary gain will come through in your posting style. When the members no longer question your motives, the business will follow.

Realistically, it will take a minimum of a year (probably two) of unselfish posts before you're likely to gain a significant level of respect. But I assure you, the principle of "give and it will be given to you" is true.

When situations like you described happen, and they do just because people are understandably skeptical, you won't feel the need to defend yourself when you know their accusations are wrong. Forums are also a learning experience. I've had my share of saying things that were misinterpreted. It gives you a chance to recognize how it happened and try not to repeat it.

Oh, and one more thing. There are some people who just aren't happy campers and you don't even need to try to set them off...they'll go at every chance they get. Since you can't change that, just learn how to walk away and let it rest. I've had many things said on forums that I refuse to respond to.
    Last edited by cbscreative; 12-23-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

im on a couple of forums and hope to sell a bit from being on them....but mainly they are talking about things i actually like a lot...so i am mainly a sincere member first.......they all see my site without me ever having to push it beauseits in my profile and signature......and some good things have happened from that..
    my trouble on forums in my field is im bigger than most and that sometimes ends up bringing out the fangs....like i will be on the side of ...you have to do the math, like if they are still working for minimum wage after a couple of years,,,, and they will be for waiting around for their hopes and marketing to kick in.......and they think i dont understand because i have it made...
    so i guess i would advise not talking about your tarps unless asked...saving up for a trade show sounds better....and definitley a local booth at the county fair!!! or s omething like that...
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

I completely agree with what PP have said.

Content. Content. Content.

You'll notice that a lot of people utilize the signatures in forums as a means of promoting their businesses. If you want to use a forum, and plan to participate in it, that's a good way to get the word out there (at least from a SEO perspective) without spamming people. As a general rule, you shouldn't seek membership on a message board you don't intend to be part of. If you can engage in valid conversation, the links will come naturally.

Array

can't disagree with anything said so far. Just do it like we do it here.

My links are in my sig. That's prettymuch as far as I'll go. Ok, I did pimp my book once in a thread that asked for copywriting books. I think I'm ok there.
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Anyone who is new to a forum and starts selling their product immediately will almost always be suspect. There are also always people on forums who are just waiting for what they see as an infraction of the rules so they can jump on whomever committed the supposed infraction. I always check the forum rules and often will PM the moderators to see what is acceptable and what isn't. In this case, it appears you did touch base and didn't violate any established rules. I'd say continue to do what you're doing, just make sure that your ratio is 80% contribution and 20% selling. Also keep in mind the helping other people spread the word about their products and services is a good thing to do. The more you contribute, the more credibility you have among forum members.

I think those kinds of people are easy to spot too and are ignored immediately and tend to die a slow online death.
    I ignore those people and I think most do too.

If you really want to contribute people will know you are sincere and will start to trust you little by little. And, yes, always play by the forum rules.
    Get Free Useful Information, Great tips and Advice on Effective Communication Skills: EffectiveCommunicationAdvice.com

Array

There's definitely a fine line between sounding like a salesman and trying to promote your business. There's a skeptic in all of us, so it's natural to feel like someone is trying to get one over on you. Especially when it comes to forums on the Internet, because not all forum users are as civil as they here. Forums are used as another form of expression and sometimes it can lead to people being more aggressive than they would be in person.

For myself, I try to stay away from promoting my business when using forums. I see the potential in it, but it can sometimes look unprofessional and not worthy of your effort. Like Dan Furman said above, I wouldn't go any further than putting a link in my signature. If someone is truly curious about what my company can do for them, they would click the link there. Otherwise, I'm just on forums to learn as well as give advice when I can.

I always advice small business owners to target exactly where your market is. If you sell clothing, you target fashion magazines, blogs, Pinterest, etc. If you are in the woodworking business like KerryAll, I would target local advertising like Craigslist, Yellow Pages, and other similar publishers. Don't waste money and time on types of advertising that costs more than it's worth.
    SEO / Blogger / Content Writer for ZingCheckout
    "A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool." - William Shakespeare