Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would knock your socks off?

Array

Default What would knock your socks off?

Ok, we have established that there isn't much appreciation felt when we get generic "gifts" with the senders' names, contact information and pics on them. I have also learned from you here at the forum that the people who make the decisions don't usually ever see these "gifts" anyway.

So that brings up the next question. What kinds of gifts would you help you feel like the sender truly appreciates you and your business? What would knock your socks off to the point that you would actually be excited to receive it?

When we receive something exciting, we want to show everyone. We can't wait to share the happiness, or just show off what we got.

I've seen and heard of this level of excitement over something in the mail from a business associate, customer, client.. etc. So I know it can be achieved.

So what would bring you to this level of excitement over a show of appreciation?
    Ted, Appreciation Marketing Consultant

Array

I realize I'm a scrooge etc., but, to be honest - nothing. I hate getting gifts. It's impossible for anyone to know what I truly need - so almost everything that people have given me ends up in the trash or a yard sale (or worse, I trip over it and dust it for a few years then throw it out). I then feel terrible about the wasted energy and use of the landfill space for what I just threw away.

If it was significant enough of a gift to actually get me excited (i.e. a new car), I wouldn't like it because it would feel like I was being bribed. The only type of gift that would minimize the waste of someone trying to give me a gift would be it if was something edible - then, at least it usually gets consumed instead of just thrown out.

I realize I'm quite unique on this topic, so just ignore what I'm telling you and listen to the many good suggestions that are going to be given after this post.
    Steve B

Array

Steve B, no I'm looking for everyone's responses, so yours is just as legitimate as any other. I'm looking for information that will help me build my business on realistic and honest information, so the fact that not everyone will benefit from what I'll be offering helps too.
    Ted, Appreciation Marketing Consultant

Array

the best one i give is laginappe...like a freebie to the woman who brings in a big spending daughter..... and the nice one i get sometimes is a coupon in an order with some related special i would actually use...or freebie extras of something i ordered...
    but candy or cookies and a anice note ,like you have, would be nice too....for here...i just dont have the time or havent bothered to organize the process.... there are a lot of folks i wish i had sent something like that to tho... .maybe if someone could show what could be sent and for how much if we sent 10 or 50 etc...it would work... especially if you did all the work.... our printer guy sends freebie post it notes with our name on them...
    we do want to show appreciation....but when i look at the promo catalogs most in the under 2$$ range just looks like plastic trash that no one wouldnt want ... i do like pens and maybe yardsticks.... or a calendar
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

If your running a business what % of the product sold do you put into a “gift fund”?
    I would rather have that % just taken off the price of what I’m buying.
    If I was a normal shopper and I was going to get something than a 10% discount on my next purchase would be nice. I would be making a larger order than normal...
    If you send me a something that I'm not going to use I'll think twice before using you services.

I added 15 cents to the cost of shipping and handling to handle “gifts”. I toss a little something in every box. Like blow pop, tinny bag of skittles, during the winter I’ll ship M&M's, or sometimes a pack of blades. If it looks like someone is ordering a bunch of different types of blades I'll toss in a type they did not order. (I sell shaving supply’s)

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

What would blow my socks off, something that let me know the company knew me and put some thought into what they sent or offered me. I'm not a huge fan of generic gifts of any kind. I much prefer something, even if it is just a small something, that shows me that whomever sent it put some thought into getting something I would like and enjoy. There's enough information out there on most people now days that you can get some idea of what they might like or use. To me the gifts that work best are the ones that show some thought and care has been taken.

Failing that, at least something that is delivered with a personal touch, either a note or a call. We do a thing every year where we give customers from the previous year a coupon code for a percentage off their first order of the new year. We call each customer personally, which takes quite a while, but many of them tell us how much it means to get a personal thank you and not just a form card or e-mail with the code.

Array

Being in the promotional products industry I often deal with this issue, clients ask the very same question that you are asking. Most of my clients are looking to gain something from the promo products they order. However I see time and time again people ordering things that are to generic and out of touch with their customer base. I would say that a gift that is genuine and relevant is the ideal gift. What is relevant to the relationship between customer and business in my opinion is most important.

An example could be someone who owns a bakery, perhaps small pastries packaged with a kitchen item with the businesses logo and information on it. It's both usable, (hopefully delicious), and shows the customer you care. It's important to make the gift industry relevant, one that supports the brand you are trying to promote. I think the key is getting personal with customers and clients, a lot can be said for simple relevant gifts.
    Last edited by JacobBergeron; 11-15-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Array

I'm going to second what Jacob said and what Kristine said and what Ann said and even what mailorder said -

Industry relevant simple gifts are good, a personal thank you and a simple small discount, an extra of something you sell thrown into the box or a freebie at the cash register, extra discount there - etc... all those things are good. The most important thing is to pay attention to your clients, figure out what they need and could use and find something relevant to give.
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Array

i recieve nuts and summer sausage from supplier salesman....blah, blah...

it all depends on the $$ involved in sales

if your getting $100,000 a year from a customer you better do something nice

ive gotten $50 gift certificates from people i refer work to and thought it was stingy....the one im thinking of gets 6-8 jobs a month from me and makes $150 per job...he's making $10,000 a year in free leads from me...and $50 is all he can give in return....( i give him leads because he does a good job, but giving me .5% back as a gift probably made me feel worse towards him vs not giving me anything at all(industry standard is 10% for leads)

i typically give very nice christmas gifts to top customers...i look for something they are into.....my favorite a few years ago got a $325 toilet w/ free install...i found out he's still telling everyone who comes into his basement about his 'special' toilet....i did about $40,000+ in business w/ him this year and will be taking him out for a $350 dinner this Sat.

i was just taken out for lunch by a supplier yesterday...i showed up around lunch and he asked if i wanted to go for a free meal....the cost was small, but the suprise made it 'special'

i recommend finding out what your customer is into...if you can spend $300-500 on a gift you will be loved....

if your budget is $25 range your better off giving them a christmas ornament. i had a supplier that would make a different home made ornament each year...my wife liked it....it made me feel a bit special at the moment, but was forgotten by me in a day or 2

id spend big or not at all....but i deal in thousands every day...many small businesses dont and i understand you cant spend all your profit on gifts

i think its impossible to give anything special for $25...i send cards with my family photo on them.....thats the generic gift i give out to my basic customer
    Last edited by huggytree; 11-16-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Array

he's making $10,000 a year in free leads from me...and $50 is all he can give in return = 0.5%

(industry standard is 10% for leads)

i did about $40,000+ in business w/ him this year and will be taking him out for a $350 dinner = 0.875%

?