Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding Clients

Array

Post Finding Clients

Finding clients..

As I explained in my introduction post I am a copywriter who has recently decided to organize my efforts. I created a website with information regarding the services my staff and I offer. During the past few years I have found clients through word of mouth or simply by luck. The workflow is inconsistent and I am drafting ideas as to how I could build up a client base that would keep me fairly busy. I am not looking to become rich by any means, but I would like to have a consistent work flow or at least a solid client base. Does anyone have any ideas, methods, or mediums that they would recommend or refer me to? I plan on consulting an advertising professional at some point to explore some options as well. But I feel that within this community there is an abundance of knowledge especially in the copywriting and creative writing fields. I would appreciate any advice, ideas, or recommendations. Thanks!
    Jacob Bergeron

www.capitalwriting.net

Array

Actually copywriting can be very lucrative depending on what field you specialize and have talent and interest in. There are tons of resources for copywriters to hone their craft and find clients. It really all depends on what direction you want to go. One poster here is a copywriter who wrote a book. I'm kind of a copywriter, but more of a marketer and even more of a publicist...I dabble in everything from social media to traditional print brochures and ads. I get better with every client, but I'm no where near top shelf. But I specialize in small businesses that serve a local market that can't afford the big guns. At least not with the miniature budgets they are dealing with.

As for recommendations...I like Troy White, Internet Marketing Sweetie, Dan Kennedy, Charlie Cook oh there really are too many to list in one post...for sales strategies I like Jeffery Gitomer...there's others out there too...publicity, radio, social media...

Array

Thank you for your recommendations! I am certainly searching for those resources to "hone my craft and find clients". Previous clients have been very satisfied with my work but their need for my services is minimal. My goal is to partner up with an individual or company that is in need of my services on a more regular basis. However I am still searching for those part time "gigs" as well. I believe online marketing may be a option to seriously consider.
    Jacob Bergeron

www.capitalwriting.net

Array

you said your 'not looking to become rich'....why not?...why go into business to survive or live an average life? you can work for someone else and get more than that.

who are your customers?

is there a common place they go or something they read?

my customers typically belong to an association....i got all their contact info from the association website and also belong/go to meetings

just having a website doesnt do much for me...its there, but you need to be aggressive and market to these potential customers over and over until they notice you....i find cold calling annoys most people...i send them info in the mail...over and over and over...for years and years

i recommend you get the attitude that says 'i want to be rich and have an above average life for me and my family'.

Array

Very true, huggy. I've also had great success keeping in mind that "If you take care of your pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves." In the very direct sense, it has helped me with money management over time and understanding how your money now affects you in 15-20 years. Becoming "rich" takes lots of baby steps, and treating each step right is a great way to pave the way to success. The "pennies/dollars" works with just about everything outside of money too, and has helped me gain appreciation for short-term actions vs long-term results.
    Foreclosure Defense - Find information on how to stop foreclosure and defend against debt collection

Array

My customers are generally small business owners who have websites that need content written or edited or individuals who need articles or blog postings for their sites. I am in the process of identifying popular places that average small business owners frequent. I am searching for groups of potential clients congregate. So far I have had minimal luck. What I meant by saying I am not looking to become rich is that I take pride in charging fair rates and I really enjoy producing a quality finished product. Of course I want to make money but I am not in it just for money alone.
    Jacob Bergeron

www.capitalwriting.net

Array

So Jacob you service clients nationally? I was going to say B2B trade shows and conventions are a great way to reach out to business owners. Even if you do not have a showcase, distributing material to passersby or just making casual conversation can go a very long way.
    Foreclosure Defense - Find information on how to stop foreclosure and defend against debt collection

Array

I do serve clients throughout the country. Trade shows and conventions are certainly options I am seriously considering.
    Jacob Bergeron

www.capitalwriting.net

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I think I touched on this in another of your posts, but , making connections and creating partnerships is the way to go. When I first started out, people used to say that all of the time but never really elaborate, so allow me...

Very rarely does anyone just need one specific service. I find that many of my clients assume that everything "website" or "internet" is under one umbrella and we all know how to do it all. Most times they have nothing, so together we come up with a logo, content (images and copy) for the website. Works out OK most times, but sometimes people need a professional.

However, I'm not a graphic designer.I'm not a copywriter. And until recently I either had to admit that and possibly loose the sale, or send them off into the unknown abyss to find someone else with specific a skill set. Something that you don't want to do because they may never come back, find a better "deal", or go with a larger organization with a ton of people on staff. Or, even worse, get screwed over by someone.

Partnering up with (dependable, trustworthy) people that have certain skills has allowed me to retain work that I may other wise never gotten. It's still in it's infancy but so far it has worked out well. When I need a graphic designer, I can now call on a number of people. When I need a programmer, I know who to call.

It helps everyone because we are now all able to offer more services, and you personally have more outlets that will promote your skills. It's one thing to have your own ( and you should) but when you also have others that will use you for all of their work within your expertise, it can go along way to keeping the phone ringing when your website has dried brush and dust blowing across it (like an old western) from inactivity.

Array

Are you using social media to make connections? LinkedIn is an absolute must for consultants. Post your resume, join subgroups, start building up your network.