Thread: Best site to host a video?

Array

Default Best site to host a video?

Hey guys,

I am finally thinking of adding a video to my blog on WordPress.com and I was wondering how to go about that. Should I host it on YouTube or Vimeo or one of those other sites?

Basically, all I have is my Microsoft webcam which works really well. It was purchased last year and it does the job very well. I can use it to record videos and even edit them if I choose.

Has anyone here posted a video of themselves on their site? If so, what host did you use?

Thanks!

Karen

P.S. My apologies in advance for my lack of technical knowledge! Thanks again, guys.
    Karen Braschuk
    Virtual Assistance: Office Support 911
    Transcription: Simply Transcripts

Array

I've just used YouTube. There are other ways to do it and you'd have to go for an alternative if you are doing longer videos...but I don't think it's necessary unless they are private videos that you want to have to have somewhat restricted access on (like say training or teaching videos)...

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think both YouTube and Vimeo are good options. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Vimeo doesn't want you to use their service for commercial sites. Don't hold me to that though.

Most video editors will export your video in a YouTube format. If not I think you just upload to YouTube and they'll convert it for you. I haven't experimented much with video myself yet. It's something I want to get into as well though.

One other advantage to YouTube is it's the most visited video site so more people will potentially see your video there. When editing make sure to show the URL for your site at the beginning and end and even all the way through if you can. Not everyone will see the video on your site so you want to make sure they know how to find you..
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Thanks Patrysha and Steve!

Yes, I have heard that YouTube is pretty much compatible with everything and I do have an account with them.

Very, very good point about the training videos, Patrysha, because that is what I want to do eventually as well. And I will want to keep them private.

Steve, excellent point about ensuring my URL is there throughout the video so folks can easily find me.

Again, thank you both for your valuable insight.

Karen
    Karen Braschuk
    Virtual Assistance: Office Support 911
    Transcription: Simply Transcripts

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

The bad thing about You Tube is their HD sucks. If you aren't doing anything HD , then it's not an issue.
    The good thing is every software and mobile device is compatible with You Tube..
    Can't beat that with a stick.