Thread: Starting an LLC to plow and eventually landscape

Default Starting an LLC to plow and eventually landscape

Hello everyone, I am starting a business for the first time. I am starting an LLC and plan on going 50/50 with my partner. We both own trucks with plows on them that are currently privately insured. I've got a few questions:

1. I am plowing in the winter, but I plan on moving on to eventually do landscaping next spring as well. Should I file one LLC, say DWM Landscape, and file two DBA's with my city? Like, DWM Landscape, then DWM Snow Removal, but have them both under the same LLC? Its a tad confusing so I'm not exactly sure if I'm making sense.

2. I am filing for an LLC in Massachusetts. They ask for my EIN number, but I thought you apply for an EIN after you finish filing for the LLC.

3. Specifically for plowing I am transferring my truck to commercial insurance, do I have to lease the truck out to my own business? My partner has a truck too, do we both lease or rent the trucks out to the business? Or can we keep them privately owned and compensate the owner by mileage?

Array

I would have thought the LLC had to come first.

You could do DWM Landscaping & Snow Removal. Another option would be to do DWM Snow Removal and do a DBA for DWM Landscaping

If you are going to New England Grows in a few weeks stop by and say hello.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Array

I would get your LLC officially registered with MA, then obtain your EIN at the IRS website. Your EIN application will ask for info about the LLC, so you'll want to have that squared away first.

Personally, from a branding perspective, I would go with DWM Landscaping & Snow Removal, as turboguy suggested. Your landscape customers can easily become plow costumers, and vice versa.

Good question on the insurance...you may get better coverage with commercial (liability, etc) if you need it.

Discount Prodigy
    Array

You have to have a legally registered LLC or other legal entity in order for an EIN to be legally bindable and applicable.