Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fed up with working for the man!

OhioGuy

Angry Fed up with working for the man!

I'm new here and I'm sure the title fits most of you here so I wanted to get started by saying "hello" and I hope to gain a ton of knowledge about a small business by joining this forum.

I've been at my current place of employment for nearly two decades and can't stand a single minute of it. We have poor leadership, managers who throw you under the bus and a constant work load of setting us up for failure. Sound like typical corporate america? It is, and it only gets worse each year. I am an expendable grunt and treated as such, even though I have a ton of responsibility and know my job like the back of my hand. I'm a middle-aged man who has spent his entire career working for someone else, making their dreams come true instead of my own. The next chapter in my life I plan to start my own business and work for me, not them! Why should someone else enjoy a successful business? Why can't I? What's stopping me? Oh, nothing but the lack of small business knowledge, a true game plan and the guts to take that leap.

I wake up at 6:00am and get home about 6:00pm. That's 12 full hours I could be applying to something that makes me happy!

So, it's nice to be here and I look forward to asking questions as I browse the forums. I have a lot to learn but it's my time...I'm more than ready and more than fed up working for the man.

Thanks for listening! lol

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Your story and attitude sound exactly like mine when I decided I was done working for people.

Welcome to the forum.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I think you'll find there are a lot of people here who have felt or do feel like you're feeling.

Welcome to the group.

Array

Been there, done that, and throw in a good dose of nepotism for good measure.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum OhioGuy. I think many of us will have a similar story to share. I didn't work at the same place for decades, but I did work for my share of companies and know the feeling you have.

What kind of business are you thinking of starting? Do you have specific ideas yet?

Looking forward to getting to know you and thanks for joining the community.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

O-HI-OOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vangogh beat me to the question... what kind of business do you want to start?

Where in Ohio are you?
    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Former Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com
    www.BibleAndFriends.com/go/youtube

OhioGuy

Cincinnati area. I'm struggling with the idea of a brick and mortar store or something else, like an online business. But, those are so competitive. I've always wanted my own store though. I have some ideas, just need to learn realistically if it's possible and learn as much as I can about all this. I bought a book yesterday on the subject as well but there is way more to running a successful business than reading one book.

Discussing business with others is a great place to start. I'm also going to research in my local area to see if there are meetup groups or other networking venues out there.

Thanks for taking the time to respond folks. I look forward to more conversation.
    Last edited by OhioGuy; 09-24-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Array

Ah, the complete other side of Ohio. ha

I love the online world, trying to get at it full time. What kind of brick and mortar store you thinking?

What book did you buy? Just be sure to "Implement" what you learn from the book!!
    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Former Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com
    www.BibleAndFriends.com/go/youtube

Array

Welcome OhioGuy! I'm in Missouri now but in my years of moving around spent some time in both Cincinnati and the Cleveland area - actually have family in both those spots too!

Good luck pursuing your dream - you'll find lots of good input around here.
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Array

You have the first part down. Sick of working for the man and ready to do it yourself. That is half the battle making that decision. Keep the motivation up and follow your dreams. The rest will fall in place, good luck!!