Thread: Business Name (Choose b/w 2) or Add your own

Lightbulb Business Name (Choose b/w 2) or Add your own

1. Simbasa

2. Smackles

I want to appeal to university students and the younger generation 12 - 35 years old as it will be an online video and audio entertainment tool. A new way to share content.

I have listed two very different sounding names and am interested into which style you think is more likeable for people of this age group.

Here is the logo in black and white to give you an idea of the look of the brand (It's two people with headphones for heads 'connecting' them):
    logo2.jpg logo.jpg

In my opinion, Simbasa sounds very corporate and professional while Smackles sounds lighter, immature and has a youthful playfulness to it. I was going to use the phrase "Smack" the way the terms "Like" and "Share" are used. "Send a smack to your friends" or "Smack your friends". There is also a very interesting advertising campaign in my head in which I smack my stickers onto uni student's backs, backpacks or books while their not looking/unaware and for them to find it later (most likely by someone else pointing it out to them) which then will start the conversation as to what it is and how it got there) hahaha I imagine Smackles as the kind of naughty brand that defies normal business protocol.

However I also really like the name Simbasa as it sounds technological to me and moving into Virtual Reality Entertainment is something I want to invest in, in the future. One idea is Smackles is owned by Simbasa which is a broader umbrella company.

I realise neither of them conjure images of video and audio but they're designed to both be very Web2.0-y. I don't want to have a name that is already a word. For getting the domain and Facebook/Twitter etc.. it needs to be quite abstract, yet memorable. Forever-youthful and fun is something I was looking for in the name.

Please let me know any suggestions or improvements or inspiration! An infinite thank you to anyone who answers. This is really doing my head in, which isn't the way I want to start my venture!! :P

Thanks again for reading!

Array

Simbasa is better than Smackles (I just want to smack the sh... nevermind).

I also like the first logo (white background with black logo).
    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Former Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com
    www.BibleAndFriends.com/go/youtube

Advice is always good. But if you're really worried about something as small as a name and logo, why not test it instead of asking for subjective advice?

Array

Hello WorkatHome! I think you're on the right track with your thought on both names. I would add this:

About Smackles: I initially liked this name over Simbasa first, and your campaign idea about "smacks" and smacking stickers, but I can see some problems coming up with that. You're going to get an idiot smacking your logo on their friends stuff that their friends don't want stickers on. You can't control that, it would probably be the younger crowd. But "Smackles" would appeal to the 12-18 crowd. In my opinion I don't think many 25-35yr olds would be interested in something called "smackles." Plus "smacking" has connotations on it that will be different for each person. I've been watching How I Met Your Mother, so it makes me think of "Slapsgiving." But there are negative reactions people could have with that.

About Simbasa: I like it, it has no connotations attached to it that I'm aware of, this allows you to create what you want around it. I would think domain names would be easier to get for this one. I wouldn't mess with an umbrella company yet, just focus on one for now to keep its quality up. You can market this as youthful and intelligent to reach a wider age range.

Hope this helps, good luck with whichever one you go with
    Rick Mullenix | Graphic Designer | Community Manager
    48HoursLogo.com | Portfolio | Blog

Simbasa and go with the first icon, but add some pop to it (3d look) great concept though. also, check PM and best of luck.

Registered Member
    Array

A 'trade name' is also a Business name.
    It can be in any form of your natural name.

Example:
    J.Smith, John,S. john smith, JOHN SMITH (Although the upper case such as "JOHN SMITH" is what the Government is using to bill us through.

Any form of your name other than how you spell it, could be a 'trade name' (Business name)