Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Is guest blogging still worth it?

  1. #1
    Member Array seanfalconer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    18
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Is guest blogging still worth it?

    Matt Cutts declared guest blogging dead back in 2014 saying that it had become too spammy yet in Moz's recent survey, guest posting was the number one link building tactic that people use.

    Is it still a viable way to create contextual backlinks or is it really dead as an SEO tactic?

    Sources:
    https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/guest-blogging/
    https://moz.com/blog/2016-state-of-l...survey-results

  2. #2
    root Array Harold Mansfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,449
    Likes (Given)
    1027
    Likes (Received)
    955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seanfalconer View Post
    Matt Cutts declared guest blogging dead back in 2014 saying that it had become too spammy yet in Moz's recent survey, guest posting was the number one link building tactic that people use.

    Is it still a viable way to create contextual backlinks or is it really dead as an SEO tactic?

    Sources:
    https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/guest-blogging/
    https://moz.com/blog/2016-state-of-l...survey-results
    Just using the process of elimination, Matt Cutts worked for and is still involved with Google doing the exact thing that he talks about. He literally wrote the book that everyone else pontificates on.

    But IMO, guest blogging is spammy and I've never thought it was that great. Nor chasing back-links one at a time. That's a very narrow focus today. I think about overall promotion of my brand and my products. So no, I would never guest blog on someone elses site for a back-link, but I would submit articles to well known and respected publications for the overall promotion of my brand.

  3. #3
    Member Array seanfalconer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    18
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    Just using the process of elimination, Matt Cutts worked for and is still involved with Google doing the exact thing that he talks about. He literally wrote the book that everyone else pontificates on.

    But IMO, guest blogging is spammy and I've never thought it was that great. Nor chasing back-links one at a time. That's a very narrow focus today. I think about overall promotion of my brand and my products. So no, I would never guest blog on someone elses site for a back-link, but I would submit articles to well known and respected publications for the overall promotion of my brand.
    Thanks for the response Harold. By respected publications, do you mean official news outlets rather than well known blogs? And do you mean, you would submit an article about something related to your brand and treat that more as a general advertisement of your brand rather than a way to generate a link?

  4. #4
    root Array Harold Mansfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,449
    Likes (Given)
    1027
    Likes (Received)
    955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seanfalconer View Post
    Thanks for the response Harold. By respected publications, do you mean official news outlets rather than well known blogs? And do you mean, you would submit an article about something related to your brand and treat that more as a general advertisement of your brand rather than a way to generate a link?
    Of course that's going to depend on your target market. For instance, I know HuffPo takes article submissions and I see people with books and other products to sell getting published there in the appropriate sections.

    You can see this all over the web. It's not easy and most major publications only deal with people who've established themselves or are known in that industry for something. But it is possible. You just have to target the right publication, submit the kind of things that they're asking for, the way they want them submitted, and write with their readers in mind, not your own promotion.

    Usually publications that take submissions have guidelines that you can follow. And there are blog posts all over the place on how to submit to one place or another.

  5. #5
    root Array Harold Mansfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,449
    Likes (Given)
    1027
    Likes (Received)
    955

    Default

    Overall almost any place you can get exposure is worth it. I just think it's better to put out killer articles to the places that can give the most exposure to your target audience, than posting articles around low traffic blogs one link at a time. The goal is reaching your target audience, not just link building. You can use the opportunity to do both if you're going to get the link anyway.

  6. Likes seanfalconer liked this post
  7. #6
    Member Array seanfalconer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    18
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    Of course that's going to depend on your target market. For instance, I know HuffPo takes article submissions and I see people with books and other products to sell getting published there in the appropriate sections.

    You can see this all over the web. It's not easy and most major publications only deal with people who've established themselves or are known in that industry for something. But it is possible. You just have to target the right publication, submit the kind of things that they're asking for, the way they want them submitted, and write with their readers in mind, not your own promotion.

    Usually publications that take submissions have guidelines that you can follow. And there are blog posts all over the place on how to submit to one place or another.
    Thanks Harold. Really good stuff.

  8. #7
    Post Impressionist Array vangogh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boulder, Colorado
    Posts
    14,988
    Likes (Given)
    250
    Likes (Received)
    509

    Default

    It really depends on the quality of what you write and the specific sites you write for. I think guest blogging like anything else can be spammed, but it doesn't have to be. It's not really about whether something specific like guest blogging is spammy or not. It depends on the details. For example I'd say writing a good article for Moz would be a good thing, assuming your business is marketing or SEO or related. Moz also uses editorial control to decide what they put on their blog. On the other hand writing a 500 word listicle and submitting it a site that accepts everything submitted, probably isn't going to help much.

    Don't get hung up on the word blog. Think about it more in terms of quality. The content you create should be the best you can create and you should be looking for the sites in your industry that most people look to for information. If it's a blog, great. If it's not a blog, that's great too.

    Also think about what your goal is. Are you trying to reach people so they'll check out your site or are you hoping for a boost in search traffic? Using Moz again as an example, I would guess most of the audience is made up of marketers, SEOs, and similar. These people aren't likely to become your clients if you have a similar business. On the other hand Moz is certainly an authority on those topics and links from their site to yours will mostly likely help bring more search traffic to your site.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

  9. Likes KrisCook liked this post
  10. #8
    Member Array bhanks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    6
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    It really depends on the quality of what you write and the specific sites you write for. I think guest blogging like anything else can be spammed, but it doesn't have to be. It's not really about whether something specific like guest blogging is spammy or not. It depends on the details. For example I'd say writing a good article for Moz would be a good thing, assuming your business is marketing or SEO or related. Moz also uses editorial control to decide what they put on their blog. On the other hand writing a 500 word listicle and submitting it a site that accepts everything submitted, probably isn't going to help much.

    Don't get hung up on the word blog. Think about it more in terms of quality. The content you create should be the best you can create and you should be looking for the sites in your industry that most people look to for information. If it's a blog, great. If it's not a blog, that's great too.

    Also think about what your goal is. Are you trying to reach people so they'll check out your site or are you hoping for a boost in search traffic? Using Moz again as an example, I would guess most of the audience is made up of marketers, SEOs, and similar. These people aren't likely to become your clients if you have a similar business. On the other hand Moz is certainly an authority on those topics and links from their site to yours will mostly likely help bring more search traffic to your site.
    ^^This. If you are contributing high quality, unique insight through articles (whether on your site, or on another site) it can only be a benefit to others and to yourself.

  11. #9
    Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    8
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Guest posting is still a great tactic for backlinking and brand building, but there are some things you need in place to do it correctly.

    If your main reason for guest posting is to get backlinks you need high quality, informational content on your site to link back to contextually. People who get in trouble with guest posting are the ones using exact match anchor text and linking to their sales pages. Who accepts those kinds of low-quality posts? Low-quality sites.

    If you're trying to brand build and grow your audience (the original way guest posted started) then having a nofollow backlink in your bio or naturally linking to your articles is going to happen regardless.

  12. #10
    Queen of the Forum Array KristineS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Traverse City, MI
    Posts
    4,738
    Likes (Given)
    62
    Likes (Received)
    169

    Default

    I never thought of guest blogging as building backlinks - I thought of it as more about reaching a new audience and riding (a bit anyway) on the coat tails of someone who already had credibility with that audience. It's kind of like being introduced to a group at a party. The person who introduces you is already a known quantity and they're telling the others in the group who don't know you that you're worth a bit of their attention. Of course, once the introduction is made, it's up to you to provide the quality content that proves you're worthy of notice, but guest blogging gives you a bigger window of acceptance.

    I think the value of guest blogging also depends on where you are in your career. If you're just starting out, getting introductions from better known people in your field can be immensely valuable. Once you're established, guest blogging probably is done more to promote a specific project or maybe as a favor to the blog owner. Part of guest blogging is building connections, and that has value all on its own.

    The big thing to remember is to evaluate every opportunity to guest blog and figure out if what you'll get out of it is worth the time you'll spend.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •