Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47

Thread: writing really good content vs hiring an seo company?

  1. #11
    Refugee from the .com Array cbscreative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,872
    Likes (Given)
    47
    Likes (Received)
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    at least by learning you'll know what to look for if you do hire someone in the future
    Nail head, hammer, swing, hit. That is good advice for any business owner. You don't have to become an authority on SEO, but there is great value in knowing enough to avoid being taken.

    And like Harold's post says if I were to summarize it in one sentence, snake oil is sold as a shortcut you will want to believe will work but real work is what pays off.
    Steve Chittenden

    Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

    "Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

  2. #12
    Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    e-consultant
    Posts
    18
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post

    If your intent is simply to compare notes on what the professional SEO people here will have to say on the topic, good SEO always involves useful content that real people will want to interact with. If you're hiring a writer for web content, it's highly advisable that they know both SEO and online user behavior. The web is not like other forms of writing.
    .
    I have a question regarding the second part of this....can you please explain to me why they have to know both SEO and online user behaviour? And how is it diffrent from other forms of writing?

    I ask because I have started creating content recently and also publishing LinkedIn posts. Most of my LinkedIn contacts are Veterinarians because I worked in that industry for a long time, so I am creating relevant content and getting people reading the blogs both on LinkedIn and on the website.

    So, other than the content being well written, engaging, relevant etc - what else do I need to worry about? It sounds like I may be missing something?
    Tanja Mimica B.Sc. MBA Management Consultant
    www.montellis.com
    I am passionate about helping small businesses overcome management challanges.

  3. #13
    root Array Harold Mansfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,423
    Likes (Given)
    1025
    Likes (Received)
    955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mont Ellis Consulting View Post
    I have a question regarding the second part of this....can you please explain to me why they have to know both SEO and online user behaviour? And how is it diffrent from other forms of writing?

    I ask because I have started creating content recently and also publishing LinkedIn posts. Most of my LinkedIn contacts are Veterinarians because I worked in that industry for a long time, so I am creating relevant content and getting people reading the blogs both on LinkedIn and on the website.

    So, other than the content being well written, engaging, relevant etc - what else do I need to worry about? It sounds like I may be missing something?
    I know you didn't ask me, but I'm chomping at the bit.

    Because marketing, especially marketing online, is more than just putting words down. It's about knowing your target audience...where they are, what they're looking for and when they're looking for it, how they think, what information is relevant to them and how to present that information in a way that attracts them and raises your offering above all of the noise.

    Yes, it's human behavior. Marketing is under sales. Sales requires that you understand of how people tick and what they respond to and there are differences between how people interact online, than how they would in the physical world.

    A content writer who doesn't know your business/industry, target market and online marketing in general cannot create the kind of content that will do you any good. All content writers do is plop down 300+ words with your keyword sprinkled around to try and attract search results. They don't know sales and marketing.

    A professional copywriter, for example, is different. They make it their business to know how to market to your target audience and present you and your information in a way that satisfies both the search engines and your sales process from start to finish. That's why they cost more than your average $5 article writer. Because there's more to it than just writing some words. It's also an understanding of marketing. A good copywriter is worth the money, and what they create for you can serve your marketing for years.

    Given all of that, the direction still has to come from you. Whoever you hire for whatever you hire them for should be following the overall marketing (branding, communications, company personality) that you create or are creating.
    WordPress Support WordPress Security Blog | Seeker.One
    Doing everything right doesn't guarantee success. Not trying does guarantee failure.

  4. Likes cbscreative liked this post
  5. #14
    Member Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    e-consultant
    Posts
    18
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Makes perfect sense, thanks Harold. I think I just didn't understand the difference between a professional copywriter and a content writer.
    Wouldn't dream of hiring a content writer for the sake of SEO!
    Tanja Mimica B.Sc. MBA Management Consultant
    www.montellis.com
    I am passionate about helping small businesses overcome management challanges.

  6. #15
    root Array Harold Mansfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,423
    Likes (Given)
    1025
    Likes (Received)
    955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mont Ellis Consulting View Post
    Makes perfect sense, thanks Harold. I think I just didn't understand the difference between a professional copywriter and a content writer.
    Wouldn't dream of hiring a content writer for the sake of SEO!
    It's not a completely ridiculous thing to do, but you mostly see it with people who have MFA (Made for adsense) websites. But even that is quickly falling out of favor and those old tricks don't work anymore. Google is also much more discerning now.
    WordPress Support WordPress Security Blog | Seeker.One
    Doing everything right doesn't guarantee success. Not trying does guarantee failure.

  7. #16
    Refugee from the .com Array cbscreative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,872
    Likes (Given)
    47
    Likes (Received)
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mont Ellis Consulting View Post
    I have a question regarding the second part of this....can you please explain to me why they have to know both SEO and online user behaviour? And how is it diffrent from other forms of writing?

    I ask because I have started creating content recently and also publishing LinkedIn posts. Most of my LinkedIn contacts are Veterinarians because I worked in that industry for a long time, so I am creating relevant content and getting people reading the blogs both on LinkedIn and on the website.

    So, other than the content being well written, engaging, relevant etc - what else do I need to worry about? It sounds like I may be missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    I know you didn't ask me, but I'm chomping at the bit.

    Because marketing, especially marketing online, is more than just putting words down. It's about knowing your target audience...where they are, what they're looking for and when they're looking for it, how they think, what information is relevant to them and how to present that information in a way that attracts them and raises your offering above all of the noise.

    Yes, it's human behavior. Marketing is under sales. Sales requires that you understand of how people tick and what they respond to and there are differences between how people interact online, than how they would in the physical world.

    A content writer who doesn't know your business/industry, target market and online marketing in general cannot create the kind of content that will do you any good. All content writers do is plop down 300+ words with your keyword sprinkled around to try and attract search results. They don't know sales and marketing.

    A professional copywriter, for example, is different. They make it their business to know how to market to your target audience and present you and your information in a way that satisfies both the search engines and your sales process from start to finish. That's why they cost more than your average $5 article writer. Because there's more to it than just wring some words. It's also an understanding of marketing.
    In addition to Harold's excellent reply, writing for the web has some rules that need to be known. Most are simple like "bite sized chunks" for text. That means keeping paragraphs short, 4-5 lines or less with rare exceptions, setting key points off with single sentence paragraphs, bold, italic, bulleted list, etc. Online attention spans are very short so you have about 8 seconds before your visitor decides to stay or leave. Your text must be "skimable" because that's how the page interaction begins. Only after the visitor believes your page has something of value to them will they transition from skimming to reading.

    Other simple rules for both SEO and human users include avoiding a "wall of text" (it must be easy on the eyes or the back button will be quickly used), good use of headings (h1, h2, etc.), attention grabbers in headings and opening sentences, using "anchor text" to link to relevant pages dedicated to the keywords inside that anchor text, avoid "selling" and stick to persuasion only, and of course, laying out the course of action you want the reader to take. Yes, many of these apply to offline writing but are often applied differently online.

    Delving a little deeper, knowledge of subjects like eye tracking studies help a good web copywriter structure the text in a way that readers will be less likely to click away from. This does require more planning than simply throwing keywords into an article like Harold mentioned. Picking up on his statement about Google getting more discerning, each rollout of new algorithms has improved Google's ability to predict human response to the content. Those using SEO tricks lament these changes. Those focusing on basic unchanging rules of SEO and creating content for the benefit of their target market have nothing to worry about as Google tweaks their ability to deliver what people are really looking for.

    Rather than a long dissertation on the subject, sites like Copyblogger will help.
    Last edited by cbscreative; 08-26-2015 at 06:08 PM. Reason: remove dead link, site NLA
    Steve Chittenden

    Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

    "Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

  8. Likes veritasvisions, WPCarer liked this post
  9. #17
    Member Needs New Keyboard Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Orange County
    Posts
    107
    Likes (Given)
    42
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    This is an excellent and very helpful discussion.

  10. #18
    Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    19
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Writing good quality content. This is what google is looking for. If your content is informative and provides what the reader is looking for then you will get traffic to your site because your content will get shared.

  11. Likes veritasvisions liked this post
  12. #19
    Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    16
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Write titles and descriptions for search engines and content for online users. Your content must be of high quality that maintain keyword density. Update content time to time for sake of your online visitors and help them to avail your genuine information with misleading them. Back links are also useful for organic searches.

  13. Likes veritasvisions liked this post
  14. #20
    Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    4
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by veritasvisions View Post
    I've heard people say they dont do any seo because they just put up really great content with relevant keywords. However, i've heard some companies get good results building links. What is your experience?

    Just as they say you need to arms to clap, you need both good SEO (Onpage factors, trust worthy links and a good online reputation) to get organic traffic for your website. Neither can work alone (for organic Traffic) but I would recommend building a great content before thinking about SEO or any other website marketing strategy.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •