PDA

View Full Version : Any MMA fans here?

PayForWords
08-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Just reaching out to see if we have any MMA fans on the forum. UFC? Bellator? Cage Rage?

Pretty much any organization or brand of MMA.

If so, I'd love to talk about the upcoming events with you!

billbenson
08-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Not really a MMA fan, but I train in martial arts 5 days a week. Three different styles. I've been to two mma seminars in the last 6 months; Dan 'the beast' Severn' and Don 'The Dragon' Wilson. Both semiretired. Both were great seminars. Don knocked out 48 people in his career. I forget what Dan's record was.

But partially because of the cost of pay per view and other reasons I really don't pay any attention to MMA. So if you want a discussion of who's who, I really don't have any input.

Russ in Vancouver
08-10-2013, 10:33 PM
I miss Pride from Japan. Sakuraba rocked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9E_Fylla6A

PayForWords
08-11-2013, 02:19 AM
Awesome! I know some people that went to Dan's school in Michigan. Seeing that you are in Vancouver, I'm assuming that's where you went.

Dan still fights to this day as far as I know and has fought over 100 times. He's something like 80-20 (give or take a few fights on each end).

Sakuraba was a beast but I'm a Royce Gracie fan so I kind of have to hate him haha.

What styles did you train in? I strictly do boxing now but have done a little Muay Thai/BJJ.

billbenson
08-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Like the video Russ.

Not sure who you are pointing the question at PayForWords. Dan retired from MMA last year but is still wrestling.

I'm in Florida which is where Dan and Don gave their seminars. At our dojo actually, although I travel for seminars as well. The dojo is very open to other styles although it's primarily Okinawan karate. I'm going to Okinawa in 2016 to train for two weeks. That should be interesting. I also take Kali Silat and Ninjitsu. All the instructors are grand masters. Good friends as well. Its a lot of fun.

PayForWords
08-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Like the video Russ.

Not sure who you are pointing the question at PayForWords. Dan retired from MMA last year but is still wrestling.

I'm in Florida which is where Dan and Don gave their seminars. At our dojo actually, although I travel for seminars as well. The dojo is very open to other styles although it's primarily Okinawan karate. I'm going to Okinawa in 2016 to train for two weeks. That should be interesting. I also take Kali Silat and Ninjitsu. All the instructors are grand masters. Good friends as well. Its a lot of fun.

It was pointed towards Russ. I assumed he went to Michigan being as he is in Vancouver and Dan Severn had a school in Michigan at one point.

Unless he still does.

And looks like you're 100% right. I looked it up and he retired in January of this year with a record of 101-19.

Dan had some good wrestling. Had he adapted back in the day, he could have stuck around the UFC alot longer.

I've did a tad bit of Kali but never Ninjitsu. I hear that 90% of the Ninjitsu gyms in the US are phony. Any truth to that?

Florida is a great spot for MMA though. American Top Team has a camp down there that's very good. Coconut Creek.

billbenson
08-12-2013, 01:02 AM
I hear that 90% of the Ninjitsu gyms in the US are phony. Any truth to that?

That's probably true. My instructor is the second non Japanese person ever to master ninjitsu. There aren't very many experts in it around. The way we practice is on each other. The thing is a large part of it is control by pain. Depending on the class, I usually come home bruised. One of the really cool things about ninjitsu are their kicks. You get low on the rear leg and essentially do a heel stomp on your target. For example, instead of a karate groin kick you do the kick I described to the top of the leg, dislocating the hip joint.

The problem with martial arts is there is no standard for skill. Anyone can call themself a sensei and open a school. There are also well over 1k different styles. Different styles are appropriate for different people. Most schools have lousy instructors. You may want to learn the art and culture, self defense, physical fitness etc. So you need to find a style that fits your needs and then you need to find a good dojo for that style. Not an easy task.

If you are interested in ninjitsu, send me a PM with where you are located and I'll see if I can find any good schools near you. It may come down to going to a couple of seminars and getting some leads for good schools.

PayForWords
08-12-2013, 02:50 AM
That's probably true. My instructor is the second non Japanese person ever to master ninjitsu. There aren't very many experts in it around. The way we practice is on each other. The thing is a large part of it is control by pain. Depending on the class, I usually come home bruised. One of the really cool things about ninjitsu are their kicks. You get low on the rear leg and essentially do a heel stomp on your target. For example, instead of a karate groin kick you do the kick I described to the top of the leg, dislocating the hip joint.

The problem with martial arts is there is no standard for skill. Anyone can call themself a sensei and open a school. There are also well over 1k different styles. Different styles are appropriate for different people. Most schools have lousy instructors. You may want to learn the art and culture, self defense, physical fitness etc. So you need to find a style that fits your needs and then you need to find a good dojo for that style. Not an easy task.

If you are interested in ninjitsu, send me a PM with where you are located and I'll see if I can find any good schools near you. It may come down to going to a couple of seminars and getting some leads for good schools.

I'd definitely be interested in checking it out. I doubt there'll be a school period within driving distance of me though.

I'll shoot you a PM nonetheless though!

I do see a school close by that teaches Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. Any thoughts on that?