PDA

View Full Version : How many Social Media profiles are you active on?

Harold Mansfield
07-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Now that it's common knowledge that your Social Media activities and influence are a consideration in your overall SEO with search engines, I was wondering how many people are active and on how many profiles.

Personally I've been staying active everyday all be it on some profiles more than others, but these are the ones I use most:

Facebook Personal...Everyday
Facebook Business Page...Everyday
Linked In Personal...Everyday
Linked in Company page...A couple times a week
G+...a couple times a week.
Twitter ...Everyday
Pinterest...Weekly
You Tube....Barely. At the moment I only have 1 video.
Vimeo....I have a profile, but don't visit much.

I also have my blog published to Google Currents, which I don't promote much.

At the moment my Klout score fluctuates in the mid 50's, although I still don't know what significance that's going to play into the future.

Most of my social media interactions are on Facebook. And any referral traffic from the above is mostly from Linked In.
It probably doesn't matter to you much if you don't depend on Search for leads, but they are still free tools that can be helpful.

Where are you guys on this? (Please, this is not a "like" exchange thread. No need to post links to all of your profiles.)

Freelancier
07-24-2013, 10:24 AM
The government is watching you....

I do LinkedIn about once a quarter. Beyond that, I'd rather pay attention to my kids than my social media profile. I'm just not into the whole "I'm wired all the time" thing. I even ignore my cell phone most days. It's cheaper for me to just pay $150/month for adwords than to worry about my SEO score.

And is there a clever phrase for it when you outsource your social media presence?

LGCG
07-24-2013, 10:26 AM
There was a time I felt the need to be on as many social networks as I can. But I just realized that I don't feel like updating people on every thing that I'm doing. I want to go to dinner with my wife, why should I tell my Facebook friends that?

Harold Mansfield
07-24-2013, 10:33 AM
I'm speaking in terms of your business. Not personal profiles. I should have been clear, sorry about that.
The reason I listed Personal accounts is because those are in my name, but I don't use them as me the person, I use them as me the Professional.

Business Attorney
07-24-2013, 12:27 PM
I have profiles on almost all of the ones you listed, Harold, but I have to admit that I am not very active on any of them. I do tweet at least once almost every day, but that is because I am reading articles I find useful for myself and it is very easy to share them via Tweetdeck since it is integrated with my browser. I rarely share anything via LinkedIn, Facebook or Google+. I'm not convinced that the time it would take would justify the return. If I spent more time on any one of those, it would be LinkedIn.

I do think that YouTube videos might be a useful marketing tool, but I would want the videos to be professional quality. I'm not convinced that the potential clients for my type of service would be likely to look to YouTube in enough numbers to justify the cost of professional videos and the time to it would take me to produce decent content.

Freelancier
07-24-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm not convinced that the potential clients for my type of service would be likely to look to YouTube in enough numbers to justify the cost of professional videos and the time to it would take me to produce decent content.

Exactly. My best potential clients wouldn't think to find me via social media, so I won't bother with those marketing channels.

Harold Mansfield
07-24-2013, 02:14 PM
It's not really about whether or not people are going to look on Social Media to find you. I mean, no one really does that..they use Google. And that's the point. Google and Bing are now taking your Social Media presence into STRONG consideration in your SERP placement.

G+ alone is one of the most important profiles that your and your business can have online. Without a doubt Google gives companies and individuals with G+ profiles, places listings and You Tube videos preferential treatment in the SERP's. You've had to have noticed by now.

If search is not a consideration in your lead generation or marketing, then it probably doesn't matter to you.

Trust me, I'm not happy about it either. But I'm playing the game and it's actually worth it. But I will agree, it's a pain in the butt.

Freelancier
07-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Google and Bing are now taking your Social Media presence into STRONG consideration in your SERP placement.

And I agree, but as I pointed out, paying $150/month to be #1 to #3 on the search results page for all the important keywords (more keywords than SEO might help with) is a better deal for me. Think of it this way: if I bill an hour at $150/hour and it costs $150/month to keep me at #1 to #3 in search for the keywords I want without much real effort, is it better for me to spend all that time improving my social media status?

Harold Mansfield
07-24-2013, 02:25 PM
And I agree, but as I pointed out, paying $150/month to be #1 to #3 on the search results page for all the important keywords (more keywords than SEO might help with) is a better deal for me. Think of it this way: if I bill an hour at $150/hour and it costs $150/month to keep me at #1 to #3 in search for the keywords I want without much real effort, is it better for me to spend all that time improving my social media status?

Well yeah, when given the choice spending money is always going to trump natural positioning. Or else who would buy ads anymore?
No matter how much SEO work you do, it's still dependent on Google to reward you. Ads put you in control.
No argument here.

farrey
08-01-2013, 06:50 AM
Personnaly i have been activated these sites every day!
*Facebook Business Page... couple time a week
*Linked In Personal...Everyday
*Linked in Company page...A couple times a week
*G+...a couple times a week.
*Twitter ...Everyday!!!!!!

ryantc
01-05-2014, 07:24 PM
One profile for each major social media network seems to be sufficient for most small businesses. Additional profiles may be created by employees to support the small business accounts.

KristineS
01-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Facebook - company page and personal profile - every day
Pinterest - company pages and boards - at least once a week and more if time
Twitter - company profile - every day
Linked In - there is a company page - but I don't bother with it much.
Google+ - There is a company page and I know I should do more with it, but the industry isn't using it much yet.
YouTube - we have a company page and some videos posted that we made and some from suppliers that we share

So far, LinkedIn has been the site I've seen the least value from, other than a rash of requests from people I've never heard of asking me to add them to my network.

Damon the Marketer
01-14-2014, 12:18 PM
I've tried all the major ones. In terms of ROI, only Linked In is "Worth It" in my mind, at least for B2B.

However, I could see how Facebook is a good medium for B2C. One of my clients, who runs a video game company, puts all his social media efforts in Facebook, especially Facebook ads, which good ROI.

The key is to understand your demographic before choosing your social media outlets.

patrickprecisione
01-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Facebook and Twitter everyday. Linkedin a few times a week. I'm starting to ramp up my Google+ activity.

LeadMaster
01-31-2014, 04:28 PM
We have had more response on Google+ so we are there quite frequently, we do keep our Facebook, Twitter, G+ and Tumblr updated daily though. Pinterest and LinkedIn are honed in on a couple times a week. --Lauren

FlyPizzaGuy
01-31-2014, 06:10 PM
I currently have about 4 groups all with 2,500 members in each group and a main business profile with over 4,500 friends and still growing. It's just something I knew about at the the time when I was making the profiles and they have worked out pretty well. I also manage about 15 different pages as well on Facebook. I have utilized Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and YardBarker for all my business profiles but not yet for a business model. If anyone would like to join me if you have a product that you think can sell, feel free to pm me and we can see about talking collaboration.

VeritasCustom
02-03-2014, 06:02 PM
I am active on Facebook, YouTube & Linkedin. I don't really get any leads from them but I keep up on them anyway.

Harold Mansfield
03-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Since I started this thread almost a year ago, I've learned a few new things and have cleaned up or deleted a few profiles. I'm mainly concentrating on Facebook, Twitter and G+ for marketing and promotion right now.

KristineS
03-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Pinterest has gone crazy for us. Our market is supplies for embroidery and sublimation businesses and I hit on the idea of sharing tips and ideas for things businesses could make with the supplies we sell. Not original or new, I know, but man has it taken off. We get tons of repins every day and I know some sales have come from those repins.

Another fertile ground that I'd never considered was Facebook groups. I joined a couple of embroidery business groups and we've pulled some customers from there as well. You have to, of course, obey the group rules, but you can do a lot without overtly selling.

chrismarklee
03-14-2014, 02:25 AM
Reality is people live on social media now. I agree I would rather be with my grand daughter. I spend countless hours on Facebook and doing SEO etc. In the beginning, promoting and marketing your business is the key. All this is is a learning curve too

SkyyCreaTech
03-20-2014, 08:05 AM
Linkedin
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest

michaelstark61
03-30-2014, 07:03 AM
Absolutely Right... I have been working with these sites everyday for my official work.
1) Pinterest .. Twice in a week
2) Facebook Page Promotion : Everyday
3) Twitter: Everyday
4) Google+: Once in a week

Harold Mansfield
04-02-2014, 08:45 PM
My revised list does not include Facebook anymore. At least not for business.
I've even taken it off of my blog as a social media profile for my readers to follow.

Facebook for business is dead to me now.