PDA

View Full Version : Police Bashing in Doors

billbenson
07-24-2013, 07:02 AM
Did you ever notice that on every cop show the police kick in doors that open to the inside.

I believe its fire code that doors need to open to the outside. I don't recall seeing any exterior doors that open in.

Gotta be hard on your shoulder if the door opened out and they are trying to bash it in...

Freelancier
07-24-2013, 10:27 AM
My front door opens in. It's not fire code here. My home in Florida, the front door opens in and it's relatively new construction. In fact, there wouldn't be screen doors if every exterior door had to open outward.

It's not like those cop shows re-hang the doors to homes in order to bash them in.

LGCG
07-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Did you ever notice that on every cop show the police kick in doors that open to the inside.

I believe its fire code that doors need to open to the outside. I don't recall seeing any exterior doors that open in.

Gotta be hard on your shoulder if the door opened out and they are trying to bash it in...

This feels like it could be a Seinfeld joke- "What's the deal with the police bashing in doors?" . Bill, are you testing some bits from your stand up routine? :)

MyITGuy
07-24-2013, 12:56 PM
My home (Also in FL) also has the main door open inward...but my garage door does open outward.

Maybe its only a commercial code, since both my office doors do open outward.

Wozcreative
07-24-2013, 01:52 PM
My doors all open in. I've moved 11 times in my life.. all open in.

Freelancier
07-24-2013, 02:02 PM
I've moved 11 times in my life.. all open in.

You kept track just waiting for this question??

Wozcreative
07-24-2013, 03:01 PM
You kept track just waiting for this question??

When you move that much.. trust me.. you remember. No one "plans" to move that much... life happens.

nealrm
07-24-2013, 03:56 PM
I believe that code is only for commercial buildings. As a real estate photographer, I have visited literally hundreds if not over a thousand homes. I don't recall ever seeing a residential door open outwards. Also, doors opening to the outside would require a different style of hinges. You would not be able to use standard hinges because the pin would be exposed to the outside, that would be a huge security issue.

billbenson
07-24-2013, 06:16 PM
Interesting Neal. I bet your right about the fire code just being for commercial properties. I just went to my front door and it opens out. The pins in the hinges aren't removable, so that's not a security issue. I don't remember being in a home in my area that has an inward opening door. My house was built in 1978.

I'll defer to you as you look at a lot of homes. Might be a local code issue, but it does make sense IMO. Your exterior doors are for security. Why make it easier to bash them in?

nealrm
07-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Bill, was that a typo or do the doors in your area really all open outwards?

billbenson
07-24-2013, 07:24 PM
I really don't recall any exterior doors opening inwards. I can't say that there aren't. But after watching a bunch of Law & Orders, I just thought "I don't recall any inward opening doors that detective Stabler could bash down with his foot or shoulder"?