PDA

View Full Version : New Hard Drive vs Windows 8

Georgias Gifts
06-07-2013, 09:53 PM
My 4 yr. old laptop hard drive crashed today. Now I'm facing the decision on replacing the hard drive or getting a new laptop which will have Windows 8.

The tech gave me a short demo on how Windows 8 looks & works. I couldn't believe how different it is! I wondering if anyone here can give me their feedback on it.

Is it time to get a new computer? Will replacing the hard drive give my current one a few more years?

Just looking for more info before I make my decision.

MyITGuy
06-08-2013, 10:36 AM
A new hard drive would be a cheaper fix and should give you a few more years of usage. I would recommend this route if you haven't had/complained about performance problems.

Windows 8 does look/work different, and Microsoft is planning on releasing 8.1 later this year to bring back the start menu and etc. In the meantime there are alternatives such as Classic Shell (Free), Start8 ($5) and others in the $5 to $25 range if you choose to go this route.

Harold Mansfield
06-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Whenever I have an excuse to get new and I can swing it, I do.

I personally like Windows 8 and have it on my work PC as an upgrade. It originally came with Windows 7.

Here's the way I see it, you're going to end up getting Windows 8 sooner or later, so why keep patching a 4 year old, 32 bit, Windows XP, 2G Ram, computer? I'm sure it runs slow as molasses.
I've never run one that I depended on much longer than that. To me 4 years is the end of the life cycle and I certainly wouldn't be trying to get "a few more years" out of it.

If cash is the problem, then of course you should get as much life as you can out of it. But if your just leery about buying a new one, I highly recommend getting a new.

Just do your homework and determine if you are running any old programs that you will absolutely need, and insure that they will work on a 64 bit system or have newer versions. Most do.

Georgias Gifts
06-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks, guys. I decided 4 yrs. was getting too "mature" and went & bought a new Lenovo today. I haven't done much on it yet, but it is lightning fast! Windows 8 will be a fun challenge and I can manuever around enough to get things done while learning. So far I love it!

billbenson
06-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Several years on a PC these days is a good lifespan.

PayForWords
08-12-2013, 12:51 AM
Thanks, guys. I decided 4 yrs. was getting too "mature" and went & bought a new Lenovo today. I haven't done much on it yet, but it is lightning fast! Windows 8 will be a fun challenge and I can manuever around enough to get things done while learning. So far I love it!

If you do decide that you'd rather use Windows 7, you can always downgrade.

I know a handful of people personally that have done this and 7 will still be relevant for a few more years.