PDA

View Full Version : Forum etiquette question, posting on closed threads

nealrm
05-23-2013, 10:31 AM
At what point should a thread be considered closed? In your opinion when is posting on an old thread OK?

vangogh
05-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Threads can actually be closed to prevent anyone from posting in them. I tend to only do that if a thread gets really heated. With older threads I'm not sure if there's a specific time where you shouldn't respond to them. It's kind of a judgement call. I have removed new posts on old threads, but I've left some too. It depends on the topic of the thread and also whether or not the new post contributes anything worthwhile. With topics that come up again and again, I'd sooner see someone start a new thread instead of reviving an old one. When the topic is one that doesn't come up a lot I don't mind if the thread is revived as long as it's with a useful contribution. I now some people will find an old thread though a search engine and reply to it without really thinking about it's age.

I'm not sure if there's a hard rule or a general etiquette with posting on old threads. Mainly if the contribution is good it's probably ok, but sometimes you're better off starting a new thread.

billbenson
05-23-2013, 12:21 PM
When I see someone come in at 2am and post on a bunch of old threads I usually report them as spam. If it looks like someone doing research on a subject I don't generally do that. If its a link drop I usually report it unless it's what appears to be a valuable link. Ultimately it's up to the moderator.

vangogh
05-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Those generally are spam. To me it's really about the contribution. Did someone revive an old thread to post something meaningful or was it a quick post that says little to nothing. If someone adds something to the conversation even of the conversation is old, I think it's ok. I'd rather it be a new thread, but I understand sometimes the date of a thread isn't notice. If the post says nothing through it gets deleted.