PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress 2.7 Issues

thehunterswife
01-19-2009, 09:12 AM
I'm wondering if any of you are having issues with wordpress 2.7. Currently on one of my blogs I'm having a problem uploading images. I am able to upload the image but when clicking on insert into post the screen goes blank.

It also does this when adding an image from another program like flickr.

thehunterswife
01-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Well I just figured out my answer but hopefully this might help someone else.

What worked for me was deactivating a plugin, testing, then reactivating. Thankfully this is a new blog and there weren't very many plugins. It was a real estate plugin that was causing image failure.

vangogh
01-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Good to know it was a plugin. I haven't seen or heard about that issue being in WP 2.7 itself. Sometimes plugins do conflict with other plugins or WordPress itself. Sounds like in your case something went wrong during the original activation.

I have had the occasional issue with one plugin causing conflict with another. Usually it means having to decide which plugin I want more and then deactivating the other.

Glad you got this sorted out.

Harold Mansfield
01-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Yes. There are a lot of plug ins that I had been used to using, that were not compatible with 2.7, and many that it seems just said screw it and stopped providing support.

vangogh
01-19-2009, 11:46 AM
For some it's just a matter of waiting for the developer to have time to update. For others the developer will have stopped supporting the plugin, though it's still possible someone else will pick it up and start maintaining it. If the functionality of the plugin was popular enough someone will end up supporting the plugin or developing a new one that does mostly the same thing.

thehunterswife
01-19-2009, 02:20 PM
I also read some people were having problems because of the template they were using. I did find a website listing templates that work best with 2.7 but I really don't think the majority that have upgraded have seen many problems.

KristineS
01-19-2009, 04:17 PM
I haven't had any problems with any of my templates and 2.7.

orion_joel
01-19-2009, 06:33 PM
I have taken my 3 blogs to 2.7 and have had little problems, well actually none.

I also have started work on another information site which is going to run on wordpress and had no issue there as yet either, even with trying a few different things on themes and plugins.

vangogh
01-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Jody, most themes should work fine, but it's possible that some used old code that WordPress is no longer supporting. I don't know all the changes that happened with 2.7, but it's possible that some very old WordPress tags no longer work. Recent themes should have been using newer code for awhile now.

There is a functions.php file in themes, which is essentially a way for theme developers to add plugin functionality directly into the theme. Most are left as the default functions.php, but more and more themes will be adding some custom code to it.

the goat
01-19-2009, 10:57 PM
I have had one problem with one theme I use. The archive calendar in the sidebar will not work, it seems like it is way to wide or something.

Would anyone happen to know where the code for the width of the calendar is located. I have looked everywhere.

vangogh
01-20-2009, 12:40 AM
It's probably styled in the css. If not you should be able to style it there. If you want to PM me a link to the site I'll take a look.

the goat
01-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks vangogh, I am going to PM.

If it helps to have it on the board in case anyone else runs into the issue, the only code in the .css with "calendar" in it is this:

li.widget_calendar td {padding: 1px 7px;}

Not sure if I can just add to that?

vangogh
01-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Depends on how the calendar is set up. You could try reducing the right and left padding. Take the 7px down to 1px and see if that works, but I'm guessing the calendar will still be too wide. You may need to add some styles on the table itself.

Hard to know exactly without seeing the code. If you want to post a link to the site or just post the code for the calendar I can probably figure it out.

Try adding css for the table itself. You'll likely need to set the width of the table and then possibly adjust the padding of the table cells.

the goat
01-20-2009, 06:35 PM
I PM'd a link to the site vangogh. I put the calendar in the bottom of the sidebar so you could see what it looks like.

Where do I find the calendar code?

Thanks

vangogh
01-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Oh yeah. Sorry about that. I read your PM in the email the forum sent me, but missed the link. I just checked it and I'm on the site. I'll take a look and let you know what I find.

vangogh
01-20-2009, 07:40 PM
The problem was easy to see. Something was forcing the width of the calendar table to be too wide. Even things like explicitly setting the width of the table didn't fix things.

Eventually I tried this and it seemed to work:

li#calendar div#calendar_wrap table#wp-calendar td a {width:25px;}

I just kept making the css selector more and more specific until it worked. That's probably not the best solution. I think something in the css is forcing the <a> tag to be wider than it should be.

See if the code above works. Add it to your css file. You may want to adjust the width and then adjust the width of other page elements. Too much wider than 25px though and the table becomes too wide to fit into the sidebar.

the goat
01-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Awesome vangogh, that worked. 25px seems to be right on.

The date numbers don't all seem to be centered in their individual boxes, but I can live with that. It's not the greatest theme in the world to begin with.

Thank you again for the fix!

vangogh
01-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Glad to help. To get the numbers centered you'll have to make the width a little wider, but then it gets too wide for the sidebar. You could make the entire sidebar wider too, but that could also mean making the main content area smaller.

That's the trouble with free themes. They aren't always coded well.

the goat
01-20-2009, 08:10 PM
I am just starting to get to the point where I can tell if a theme is coded well. I can't really tell just by looking at the code, but it becomes apparent pretty quick when you start doing modifications.

vangogh
01-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Yep. A good theme should make it easy for you to make changes. Some themes take the lazy way out, but it's always been that way in the template market. People will offer the flashy design since that's how most people buy, but when you decide it's time to make changes you start to understand the value of good code.

Most premium themes I've worked with have been coded pretty well. Some maybe not so much, but most are pretty good. I've seen some well coded free themes too, but most could be better.