PDA

View Full Version : Why won't some people pick up the phone and call Custmer Service?

Harold Mansfield
05-15-2013, 05:19 PM
I've been getting frustrated lately at people who find it so difficult to pick up the phone to handle business.
Most recently, I have 2 clients that have Pay Pal issues that I can't help them with. It needs to be handled with Customer Support.

I've talked to Pay Pal on many ocassions for myself and on behalf of clients for everything from personal account issues to ecommerce and they are pretty quick about helping you. I don't think it's ever taken more than 10-15 minutes no matter what the problem.

But for some reason, I have clients that just won't call. Even when I tell them what question to ask so that they can get help quickly, they still won't do it. Hours later I have to call and ask if they did it and they tell me that they emailed them ( or are put in a support ticket) and are waiting for a response. I don't get this. Why would you do that when I gave you SPECIFIC instructions on how to handle the issue quicky?

It's not just Pay Pal, I run into the same thing when people need to call thier hosting company, or pretty much anything.

I don't understand why they would waste hours or days on things that they can handle with a phone call.

Can anyone enlighten me here?

billbenson
05-15-2013, 05:26 PM
To quote Jim Morrison - People are strange

Georgias Gifts
05-15-2013, 11:54 PM
It could be because they are intimidated by tech related things.

Steve B
05-16-2013, 06:53 AM
I understand your point. People have gotten so used to detached forms of communication it's kind of strange. It can take several days to do something via e-mail that might take 2 minutes over the phone. I often think if technology were invented in a different order that things would be far different. Imagine if we had e-mail FIRST. Then if the telephone was invented it would be a HUGE hit because you can actually hear a voice and get immediate feedback, have a chance to ask immediate follow-up questions, and get to hear the inflection in the voice. It would be AMAZING to people!

Freelancier
05-16-2013, 09:25 AM
I also think it's an intimidation thing. I think instead of worrying about it, you should charge them for a three-way call with them and the other company so they can see that it's not a technical discussion they're having, so they can get comfortable with it.

billbenson
05-16-2013, 01:52 PM
I have something kind of similar. Customers will call me, tell me they only buy through a competitor, and want me to answer all of their questions because the competitor doesn't know the answer. And sometimes I don't find out until later that they only buy through a competitor. I've gotten more aggressive at asking who they buy from.

Harold Mansfield
05-16-2013, 02:24 PM
I also think it's an intimidation thing. I think instead of worrying about it, you should charge them for a three-way call with them and the other company so they can see that it's not a technical discussion they're having, so they can get comfortable with it.

I'm going to try this. Good tip.

KristineS
05-16-2013, 03:44 PM
I know I don't call Paypal unless I absolutely have to because I've had a different experience than you did. Whenever I've had to call Paypal for something it's generally been a tedious wait and generally the information I've received is unhelpful. So I tend not to want to call them unless I've exhausted every other option. So that could be why people are resisting calling. Or it could be, as has already been suggested, that there is an intimidation factor at work. I think having a three way conference call is a great suggestion, particularly for those customers who aren't that tech savvy.

Harold Mansfield
05-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Tip on calling Pay Pal:

First, when possible call from the phone number that is attached to your account.

Log in and get the pin number, and then after you get the automated system and put the pin in, shout over the automated system for a "real person" until it gets confused and has to connect you to someone.

Just engaging the automated system alone will put you in a pissy mood before you even get to a real person.
I bypass that everytime.

Paul
05-18-2013, 01:32 AM
It’s interesting to me that you brought up this subject. I am from the old school (because I am old) of communications where the phone is the preferred method.

However, I have been beaten into submission by the tech world to use emails.

The reason is because it takes so long to get through on the phone it has become easier to use email. I don’t get faster results but I do spend less time. It’s either press one for this, two for that and then wait or send the email and go do something else while waiting for a reply.

nealrm
05-18-2013, 10:02 AM
I think that some of the automatic system are designed to weed out the less persistent calls. They are not really designed to help, but to provide some short answer that will make the caller go away.

Georgias Gifts
05-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Steve B- I love your idea in your post!

MostHeather
05-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Whenever I have an issue, I always try to go through Email first. In almost all cases this works, so there's no need to call someone.

In my experience, Paypal has never been hard to deal with either. As a previous poster said, just be sure to login to your account and get a calling code first. It expedites your service call for sure.

Harold Mansfield
05-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Whenever I have an issue, I always try to go through Email first. In almost all cases this works, so there's no need to call someone.

It's interesting that you put it this way, "so there's no need to call someone".

I guess I'm one of those people that wants to call someone. I want to know that they completely understand, and that someone capable is handling it. I don't mind email support, and chat windows, but 5 minutes typing is 1 minute talking. I don't care how fast you type, you can still get the point across faster with speech.

So I'm not sure if it's the personal interaction that I'd rather have, or just hate having to go back and forth with email or chat, when a few minutes on the phone is so much easier.

MyITGuy
05-19-2013, 12:47 PM
I tend to communicate via email purposes for documentation. When there is an issue, you can refer back to that e-mail...but the phone conversation is lost (Unless you're recording your calls).

I also deal with multiple parties as well, where e-mail makes it more efficient and keeps everyone in the loop.

billbenson
05-19-2013, 12:48 PM
I don't mind email support, and chat windows, but 5 minutes typing is 1 minute talking.

An email from you may require the recipient to do some work, look up stuff etc. With an email he can do this on his time not yours. The reverse is true as well. With an email from your customer your not wasting his time while you do stuff.

If someone sends me a request for quote, order, or looking for information 90% of the time it is far faster than calling.

Sometimes communication is better by phone. In your case, if all the customer needed to do is call Paypal, he should be the one doing that. Also there may be times that you need to explain in detail what is needed. That may be more appropriate by phone or email - depends on the situation. Also, by phone you get to know someone better. A sense of bonding is good in the sales process. Here and there a phone conversation is appropriate with your customers.

Harold Mansfield
05-19-2013, 01:11 PM
There's obviously going to be different times when email makes more sense. Documentation is a good reason.

However, for me, when an email turns into a Q & A conversation where clients are asking me questions that take me minutes to formulate responses...I'm done emailing. Call me. If you have time to send multiple emails back and forth, you have time to call. In situations like that it's a rediculous waste of time. Also, it takes me away from what I'm doing to respond to 10 emails. Where as if you'd just phone me, we can cover it in 3 minutes, instead of 20 emails over the course of an hour.

I make myself readily available by phone so that I DON'T have to type conversations.

Even more irritating is when someone has sent me 10 emails with 10 different questions and I ask them to call me so that I can explain it all quickly, and they still continue sending questions as if they didn't see my request. That burns me up. It's like they are saying, "No, I want you to have to stop everything for a long period of time to answer all of my questions and have to type out every word".

Why do I have to work so hard to give you personal attention and support?
Isn't that what everyone wants? Someone's undivided attention to handle their problems?
Aren't people always complaining that customer service and phone support at most companies suck?
That too many companies have automated systems or have outsourced to countries where they can't understand the support staff?
That they can't ever get a real person on the phone?

Then why do so many people make it so difficult on themselves to get support when it's offered clearly, with undivided attention to handle their problem?
Why do people choose the most time consuming way to get something taken care of?
I'll never understand that.

billbenson
05-19-2013, 01:50 PM
There's obviously going to be different times when email makes more sense. Documentation is a good reason.

However, for me, when an email turns into a Q & A conversation where clients are asking me questions that take me minutes to formulate responses...I'm done emailing. Call me. If you have time to send multiple emails back and forth, you have time to call. In situations like that it's a rediculous waste of time. Also, it takes me away from what I'm doing to respond to 10 emails. Where as if you'd just phone me, we can cover it in 3 minutes, instead of 20 emails over the course of an hour.

One of the beauties of email is it isn't real time. I don't ever recall getting 10 back to back question emails from a customer. I scan emails when I'm not doing something else and prioritize them. One of the absolute worst things that happens to me is I get a phone call while I'm doing something and I have to stop doing it to answer the phone. I need to respond to the phone call right away as it was an important quote or order, I start doing that and get another couple of calls in a row that take time but are simple questions that take time. I'm now have 5 tasks I need to do and I haven't finished the first one, which was the most important. But, I can't not answer the phone because any call could be a large order.

I absolutely hate the phone! Send me an email if you are just looking for literature!

Oh, Steve is redoing my site. If I feel I need to talk to him, I send him an email asking him to call me when he gets a chance. That way I don't take him away from what he's doing. I think that is the courteous approach. I put in the email the items I would like to discuss. And he, who is in the same business as you tries to drive things to email rather than phone from what I can tell.

Harold Mansfield
05-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Maybe my problem is that I like to answer everything right away. I hate having little 5 minute pending tasks built up throughout the day. I forget them, and if I'm going to take the time to write them down or put them in a "To Do" folder I may as well just do them.

I figure if someone sends an email, they want an answer or a response. So I don't understand why if I answer within minutes how they could possibly be away from thier computer for hours (or days) before they confirm or respond. Why are you wasting my time with emails that aren't important right now?

I was like that as a bartender too. Rather take 10 orders at one time, than to walk past someone and leave them waiting.
It is possible that listening to dance music all day keeps me in that "hustle" frame of mind.

I guess I should just slow down and then I wouldn't get so anxious at people who don't move as fast as I do to take care of stuff. I honestly thought business moved faster than this.

Maybe I'll start listening to some jazz.

Irene Rogers
07-03-2013, 07:06 PM
I don't know, is it because I've been a chat support agent for many years and I type faster than I talk, or am I just the type of person who prefers seeing information rather than hearing it, but I have right the opposite question. Why bother picking up the phone when you can send an e-mail or contact support through live chat?

If I contact a company for some additional information by phone, I will definitely need to write something down. What is the point of calling then? I need to divert from my computer, pick up the phone, waste my time waiting to be connected to a live person, then memorize or write down things I hear. Why bother? Why not let the agent write down the information for me through e-mail or live chat while I'm doing other things?

If I'm reporting a problem, it is also much easier for me to describe everything in writing through e-mail or chat rather than spell e-mail addresses, names, long account/transaction numbers and whatever else the support agent may need from me by phone. And if any technical details are required, a phone conversation is not just inconvenient, it is simply impossible.

Harold Mansfield
07-03-2013, 07:33 PM
I understand you are coming at this from the standpoint of someone who sells chat software and are speaking of businesses that have agents. But for a one man show small business who is multitasking, the needs are different.

I don't know, is it because I've been a chat support agent for many years and I type faster than I talk, or am I just the type of person who prefers seeing information rather than hearing it, but I have right the opposite question. Why bother picking up the phone when you can send an e-mail or contact support through live chat?

Cause you can do it in 2 minutes on the phone and cover a lot more information, than the time it takes to type everything out.
Some website questions can take paragraphs of text to answer. Who has that kind of time to type out that much information?
Everyday. For every client that may call that day.

If I contact a company for some additional information by phone, I will definitely need to write something down. What is the point of calling then? I need to divert from my computer, pick up the phone, waste my time waiting to be connected to a live person, then memorize or write down things I hear. Why bother? Why not let the agent write down the information for me through e-mail or live chat while I'm doing other things?

I don't know why you need to divert your attention away from the computer to answer the phone. Bluetooth works just fine, and I can talk and type at the same time. There is no wait when you call me, it's a direct line to me.

For training I use Go To Meeting. Look, hear, respond to questions, done.

If I'm reporting a problem, it is also much easier for me to describe everything in writing through e-mail or chat rather than spell e-mail addresses, names, long account/transaction numbers and whatever else the support agent may need from me by phone. And if any technical details are required, a phone conversation is not just inconvenient, it is simply impossible.

I think you are over exaggerating how difficult it is to use a phone because of the nature of your business, so I'll give you a pass.
But the bottom line is most days I don't have time to respond to every question with a long detailed email, and then follow up emails after that. Especially when I can cover ground quickly with a phone call and it doesn't require me to stop what I'm doing to speak.

Chat, means I have to stop what I'm doing because I can only use one keyboard at a time. Chat also means someone is waiting for an instant response, again, I have to stop what I'm working on to now have a typed conversation with someone..as opposed to just talking to them.

So for me, a small business, it takes more time to type communications, that it does to speak them. If the person on the other end needs to take notes, then so be it, take notes. If it's something I can link to, I do. If it's something I already have prepared, even better. But typing communications with clients and customers is a chore and time consuming because everything has to be explained.

Irene Rogers
07-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Cause you can do it in 2 minutes on the phone and cover a lot more information, than the time it takes to type everything out.

In my everyday work I can provide a client with much more information through chat, since I can send links and screenshots. And it should be more convenient for the client too. I can't imagine how it would be easier for me as a customer to, let's say, memorize the whole pricing structure described to me by phone instead of viewing a nicely formatted table on a web page or in a document.

Some website questions can take paragraphs of text to answer. Who has that kind of time to type out that much information?
Everyday. For every client that may call that day.

If I need an answer that includes paragraphs of text, I would still prefer it being written down for me, instead of memorizing everything or writing it down myself.

But the bottom line is most days I don't have time to respond to every question with a long detailed email, and then follow up emails after that.

I understand you here. If someone keeps sending an e-mail after e-mail with just basic questions that can be answered by phone or through chat within a couple of minutes, it doesn't seem very efficient.

Chat, means I have to stop what I'm doing because I can only use one keyboard at a time. Chat also means someone is waiting for an instant response, again, I have to stop what I'm working on to now have a typed conversation with someone..as opposed to just talking to them.

That amazing how different people are and how differently they perceive information. That would probably be the best answer to both our questions.

For me picking up the phone means stopping what I am doing. Even if I keep sitting in front of the computer, all my attention is taken by the phone conversation. But when I'm chatting or sending e-mails, I can do a bunch of different things while I'm waiting for the next message - browse, search for some information if I don't have it right away, chat with other people, read through a ticket, etc. If I'm contacting support as a customer, I can even have lunch, talk with my husband and watch a movie simultaneously, while someone is looking into the problem for me and typing the answer.

Wozcreative
07-04-2013, 11:57 AM
I get more sales success out of sending emails. Client has all the info infront of them, and then they can decide if they want to have a phone call to discuss further. When I give prices over the phone, or even general ideas, chances are they "tell me" they will send more info, but never do. Email to phone is much easier as apposed to phone to email. Usually I find that those that call me first, are price shopping. Instead of them taking the time to write me an email explaining what they need concretely, and supplying some info, they decide to call and try to get price right away so they can move on to the next designer. If my website has done it's job.. they will spend the time giving me detailed images, explanations of what they want in an email to even see if im interested or available. Quality is worth the wait to these people. And those who DO prefer a phone call, will actually schedule a call with me. Not just call out of the blue. The call out of the blue guys... rarely ever have $ in their wallets.

I also prefer it this way as well. It allows me to structure what I am saying and how I am delivering the information for clients to understand.

Harold Mansfield
07-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Irene, I appreciate your opinions as a chat software salesperson. Of course it's the greatest thing since Morse Code to you.
But surely you can understand that not everyone sees it that way. Some people just don't like chat. Especially my cleints in the 40+ range.

For me, a conversation in chat takes longer and stops me from working. Unless you have 4 arms and 2 keyboards, that is the reality of the situation.

If we were engaged in a verbal conversation, I could have said this much faster than the time it takes me to type it. Anyone who says typing is faster than speech is not being realistic.

In some instances it can be fine. But it's not efficient for every situation. To me, chat is for short messages. Not conversations.

Wozcreative
07-04-2013, 01:20 PM
For me when chatting or on the phone.. I take all the attention away from what I am doing. My work involves concentration on one project at a time, otherwise I mess up. This is the reason why, for any sort of live communication, I require appointments.

FYI - I do prefer live chatting when I am talking to customer support. It waves the fact that I need to wait for them to find info.. they need.. or I don't need to be on hold. Its usually something they need to do on their end, so I tell them and then wait and do other things.

MyITGuy
07-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Personally I hate live chat and would much rather deal with a person on the phone or via e-mail. The reason for this is simple, most Live Chat agents are handling more than 1 issue at a time, they could have 3-4 conversations or more going at one time, which means they aren't focused on my issue to comprehend the entire issue and provide a detailed response, plus my time is now being wasted as they are chatting with 3-4 other people to determine what their issue is and respond to them as well.

Harold Mansfield
07-04-2013, 04:33 PM
If you are a company that has dedicated staff for chat or customer support, then of course. But if you are like me and you are the staff, chat windows popping up through out the day with every whim that someone can think of, are a distraction.

I have used chat when working as a sub and that's what the others on the team prefer. And back in the day, before Facebook and Twitter, I used chat to converse with friends and acquaintances. I actually used to have my MSN name and ICQ (Yeah, that's right. ICQ youngsters ) number on my business card.

But now it's a distraction and an open gateway for people to ask you for free work, and favors all day long.

Marcomguy
07-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Chat vs. phone call... I think there's a time and place for each. If you need help that involves visiting a particular page on a website or showing someone a screenshot or sending a file, then chat is better. Otherwise, I prefer using the phone. The whole process of initiating a chat conversation, waiting for the CSR to respond, keeping the chat window visible while you're doing something else on the keyboard, and so on... is just painful. And given that I talk much faster than I type, my chat sessions take much longer than conversations.

Most of the time, I can get far more done in a two-minute phone call than in a two-minute chat. I've often noticed this - I'll spend half an hour on skype with someone going back and forth on one or two issues, but if we simply call each other, we're done in 5 minutes.

Irene Rogers
07-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Irene, I appreciate your opinions as a chat software salesperson. Of course it's the greatest thing since Morse Code to you.
But surely you can understand that not everyone sees it that way. Some people just don't like chat.

I completely understand that. People are different. And different businesses may have different needs. I was just trying to answer your question and help you understand those of your clients who prefer written communication over phone, because I'm this kind of a person myself.

Harold Mansfield
07-08-2013, 11:15 AM
I completely understand that. People are different. And different businesses may have different needs. I was just trying to answer your question and help you understand those of your clients who prefer written communication over phone, because I'm this kind of a person myself.
My original point was about people who WON'T call.
Even though I request that they do so.
Even when I state clearly in an email, "There's too much info to cover in an email. Please call me".

Especially when they are asking questions or looking for free tips and advice. If I make it clear that I'm very busy and don't have time to put it all in an email (or chat back and forth for an hour), can you please call so that I can explain it to you, and they just keep emailing as if they didn't see it. THAT burns me and I'm done with them.

I'll never understand why some people have 30 minutes to email back and forth, but don't have 5 minutes to pick up the phone.
And there are just some times when I just refuse to write out a 9 paragraph email. Period. Not doing it.

Given to the choice of getting your concerns handled immediately, or waiting..Who in thier right minds doesn't want personal service, and someone's undivided attention when they are are offering it to them?

Jayde
07-08-2013, 02:17 PM
My generation is very tech-guilty. They will text/e-mail for hours when a simple 2 minute phone call is obviously the faster and better way to get the job done.
I wish I had the answer for why people are this way, unfortunately it also boggles my mind. You know the saying, "common sense isn't very common." It is a major pet peeve of mine if I give specific instructions and get ignored.

Wozcreative
07-08-2013, 02:41 PM
My generation is very tech-guilty. They will text/e-mail for hours when a simple 2 minute phone call is obviously the faster and better way to get the job done.
I wish I had the answer for why people are this way, unfortunately it also boggles my mind. You know the saying, "common sense isn't very common." It is a major pet peeve of mine if I give specific instructions and get ignored.

The answer is that our attention is now divided into many different forms. We would prefer to get a message, know it's there, and get to it when we are able to. It's inefficient to drop what you are doing just to attend to someone's question which may or may not be more important than what you are doing currently. I can also tell via email or text if people are time-wasters. I can atleast choose to shoo them away, or respond to them at my own time. Yes if it is an emergency, then common sense should tell you to call the person.

As a small business owner, I can answer your email when it is convenient.. I will answer it sooner than picking up the phone. It's even more annoying when the call cmes in and a voicemail is left just saying "call me back" without other details. It just says the call itself is not an emergency, and doesn't need my attention. If i get an email, I will answer it later, if the person wants a call.. I may schedule the call in 1 - 2 or even a week from now, If i'm just too busy to think about their project/issue etc. I'm a one person business and I cannot possible tear myself in pieces just because someone seems to have ants in their pants.

Jayde
07-08-2013, 09:54 PM
The answer is that our attention is now divided into many different forms. We would prefer to get a message, know it's there, and get to it when we are able to. It's inefficient to drop what you are doing just to attend to someone's question which may or may not be more important than what you are doing currently. I can also tell via email or text if people are time-wasters. I can atleast choose to shoo them away, or respond to them at my own time. Yes if it is an emergency, then common sense should tell you to call the person.

As a small business owner, I can answer your email when it is convenient.. I will answer it sooner than picking up the phone. It's even more annoying when the call cmes in and a voicemail is left just saying "call me back" without other details. It just says the call itself is not an emergency, and doesn't need my attention. If i get an email, I will answer it later, if the person wants a call.. I may schedule the call in 1 - 2 or even a week from now, If i'm just too busy to think about their project/issue etc. I'm a one person business and I cannot possible tear myself in pieces just because someone seems to have ants in their pants.

Yes, but in his original post he said that he specifically asked his customer to MAKE A CALL and even gave them instructions as to what to ask/say. I don't see how this is an issue of convenience. The customer completely disregarded his direction and wasted time by sending an email instead.

Wozcreative
07-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Yes, but in his original post he said that he specifically asked his customer to MAKE A CALL and even gave them instructions as to what to ask/say. I don't see how this is an issue of convenience. The customer completely disregarded his direction and wasted time by sending an email instead.

You can see I'm only responding to your post. I've previously said that in this case, the client should have actually called themselves instead of send an email. But as I mentioned also, people are just not in a rush.

LGCG
07-10-2013, 09:11 AM

I think alot of people would much rather chat online then by phone. Alot of people simply don't like phone. Plus, if you have it in writing, and they promise you anything in particular, you can hold them to it.

Wozcreative
07-10-2013, 09:26 AM
I think alot of people would much rather chat online then by phone. Alot of people simply don't like phone. Plus, if you have it in writing, and they promise you anything in particular, you can hold them to it.

Totally agree. I'm no phone person myself. I also like to have these things on record.

KristineS
07-10-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm a non phone person too. I will almost always resort to e-mail or chat before making a phone call if that's an option. I just don't care to talk on the phone.

Wozcreative
07-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Some people are just way more social I guess! I really enjoy the typing :)

Harold Mansfield
07-10-2013, 11:30 AM
It's funny. Now that I think about it, looking back...I wasn't very good on the phone a few years back. It was only after I had to take a job at a phone room, speaking to a couple hundred strangers a day from all around the country, that I got comfortable on the phone.

As much as I hated that job, I credit it with bringing me out of my shell when it comes to working the phone. Now I'm very comfortable speaking with people.

KristineS
07-10-2013, 11:35 AM
I get where the original frustration came from Harold, because there are times when a phone call is the only way to go. I guess I just understand it from the other side, because I'm not inclined to talk on the phone as a general rule. I've done survey research and customer service so I've talked to tons of people by phone but I think sometimes that's why I tend to avoid the phone when I have the choice. It's not that I'm necessarily uncomfortable speaking with people, I just feel like I do that a lot, and the phone seems very demanding to me sometimes. E-mail and chats can be dealt with in my time.

EliseLovesBooks
09-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Customers under 40 prefer web engagement (i.e. chat/ text) to talking to the phone- and may have learned that calling will only result in being put on hold, talking to a machine, Chat4Support.com is a good one with some cool feature that a phone can't even give you anyway- like website visitor tracking, support ticket system, etc. Good luck!