PDA

View Full Version : Buying a TV

billbenson
05-07-2013, 03:09 PM
My TV in my office is several years old. It's 42 in and has been fine for my 11 ft sq office. It looks like the power supply bit the dust and an equivalent (remember it's several years old) is $328 at walmart. A better TV at Walmart is $550. I occasionally will watch movies, but it's more like the food channel and the news. I also want to watch video's I've recorded. I have it connected to a hdmi port on my PC. I don't do gaming or anything like that. I do watch youtube videos.

What are the important specs I should look for in replacing the TV?

While I'm on the subject, I record with my camera video's of karate kata's. Kata's are a series of choreographed movements. When I'm learning a new kata, I want to be able to use slow motion and go forward and back to repeat the movements. My camera records .mov files. A remote control would be great for this. Much better than going to my PC to go back and repeat a movement. I also buy DVD's that I want to do the same thing with. I assume there are dvd players that do this, I just don't have one.

So should I convert the .mov files to a different format and get a dvd player that can do this or can I do this from my PC?

MyITGuy
05-07-2013, 04:06 PM
What are the important specs I should look for in replacing the TV?
Resolution - I'd recommend getting one that is 1080P to ensure you're getting the best HD display you can.
Contrast Ratio - The higher the ratio, the better range of color you can get (I.E. A low contrast ratio display will generally display black as grey and etc...). 50,000:1 is better than 5,000:1. With this in mind, some manufacturers use different testing methods...so always do a side by side comparison if you can once you narrow down your decision.
Refresh Rate - The higher the refresh rate, the better as this will reduce/eliminate any blur/ghosting you may see during sports/action shots. I.E. 60Hz is the lowest, 120Hz is the best, some may get fancy by offering 240Hz and above.

If you can find an LED TV within your budget, then I would recommend this over the standard LCD/Plasma TV's as the LED's will use less power long term.

Other than that, everything else is just up to your preferences/needs (Size, Thickness, Number/Type of Ports and etc...)

billbenson
05-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Thanks Jeff. Any thoughts on how to set my system up to deal with the slow motion, going back and forth etc. Am I just better off making a dvd out of my videos and getting a good video player?

MyITGuy
05-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks Jeff. Any thoughts on how to set my system up to deal with the slow motion, going back and forth etc. Am I just better off making a dvd out of my videos and getting a good video player?

Are you wanting to use your PC to play the MOV and DVD's, or are you wanting to use just a DVD player?

With a PC, I'd check out Windows Media Center (WMC or MCE) that is included with most premium versions of the OS (Except for Windows 8 where you have to purchase the add-on). You can then use any MCE remote to launch the application and play the video along with fast forward, rewind and slow mode.

I personally would recommend a Logitech Harmony remote that is RF Capable to ensure you don't need line of sight. I've been using a Logitech Harmony 890 series for years and love it.

With a DVD Player - I would suggest looking at Sony or Panasonic DVD Players that have slow motion mode (You can use a number of programs to convert your MOV file to a DVD - Including Windows Movie Maker that is included in Vista, 7 and 8) - Although you may have to test a particular model since the descriptions do not always give the full picture (I.E. Basic Slow motion, Variable Slow Motion Mode, or no slow motion mode at all)

MyITGuy
05-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Speaking of TV's, playing movies and etc - If you also have a cable box attached to this TV I would recommend checking out InfiniTV by Ceton (InfiniTV - CableCARD Tuners for the PC (http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv/)). You can pay a one-time fee for their tuner and ditch your cable providers DVR/Cable Box which will save you a ton of money in the long run.

The only downside is you can't get video on demand or pay per view...but I never use those anyway.

BR101
05-11-2013, 05:10 AM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Ykx7jA8g2U4/UOEYvCFqXuI/AAAAAAAALRE/S-F8ibotZfM/s512/HTnite-9.jpg

I am finally replacing my sony plasma that I've had for probably close to 8+ years. I bought this thing when wall mount tv's were magazine hype. If I remember correctly it cost me close to $3000 dollars new. My g/f just ordered us a new Samsung 60" from Amazon. They have a special going on there. OP I sent you the info.

MyITGuy
05-11-2013, 11:21 AM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Ykx7jA8g2U4/UOEYvCFqXuI/AAAAAAAALRE/S-F8ibotZfM/s512/HTnite-9.jpg

I am finally replacing my sony plasma that I've had for probably close to 8+ years. I bought this thing when wall mount tv's were magazine hype. If I remember correctly it cost me close to $3000 dollars new. My g/f just ordered us a new Samsung 60" from Amazon. They have a special going on there. OP I sent you the info.

Wall mount the TV and then you go with huge speakers? Although they do look interesting, what brand/model are they and how is the sound quality?

Definitely lots of equipment in that cabinet...I see a direct TV receiver, Harman Kardon Receiver and what appears to be 6 other pieces of equipment. How many DVD/Blueray/EQ's you got in there? :)

Wozcreative
05-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Wow that is a lot of stuff! Maybe it is time to consolidate it all?