PDA

View Full Version : Really disappointed with TigerDirect

nealrm
04-27-2013, 05:36 PM
It's rare that a company does such a poor job and so dishonest that I feel the need to tell others. However TigerDirect did just that.

I ordered a solid state drive from them on April 8. Site stated it normally ships in 1-2 days and I paid for 2 day shipping. I should get it on Friday and have the weekend to install it. Checked on the shipping status on Wednesday. The site still stated normally ships in 1-2 day, but now the tracking pages stated 7-10 days. So I contact them and ask why. After they apologized several times, they stated the drive would arrive Monday. Well it didn't arrive Monday, when I checked the status I found it still did not ship. So I contacted TigerDirect again. They refused to do anything more than send a request to the drop shipper to send out the drive within 48hrs. Very unhappy at this point but decided to wait. Guess what, 48 hours later the drive still had not shipped. So I contacted them again. Still customer service would not help, but a manager was to look unto it and send me an email. Surprise, surprise no email. At this point I am going to cancel the order and file a complaint.

Harold Mansfield
04-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Sorry to hear that. I hate getting excited about something and then running into problems like that.

I've read a lot of complaints about Tiger Direct and the exact same problem that you are having with 3rd party drop shippers.
They are no Amazon.

Freelancier
04-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Check out resellerratings.com before you buy next time. TigerDirect gets a 5/10 from reviewers there. That indicates a poor likelihood of a good experience.

billbenson
04-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Interesting. I've been using them for years. Never a shipping issue. The only problem I ever had was a salesman told me a barebones kit was Linux comparable and it wasn't. But not very many stores would know something about Linux. I bought another mother board and the problem was solved. It actually worked out for the better because I have two computers now with identical mother boards. In Linux that helps.

patrickprecisione
04-30-2013, 08:15 AM
That's a shame. I remember I was researching Tiger Direct and some similar companies a few years back. I was turned off by how pushy Tiger Direct was, so I went with a competitor. Sorry you had such a negative experience with them!

nealrm
05-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Just an update, I canceled my order with TigerDirect. Then I reorder the drive from Amazon. They stated it would ship the next day and arrive 2 days later. The best thing is that is exactly what happened.

Now I am in the process of transferring several hundred gigs off the old drive, so I can clone it.

Harold Mansfield
05-05-2013, 07:40 PM
..and that's why I love Amazon. In 5 years I've never been disappointed.

MostHeather
05-06-2013, 07:35 AM
Sorry to hear that you ran into issues with them. I suppose it can happen sometimes. I've always had a pretty good experience with them - we bought our barebones Linux machines there and they've always ran like a champ.

billbenson
05-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Sorry to hear that you ran into issues with them. I suppose it can happen sometimes. I've always had a pretty good experience with them - we bought our barebones Linux machines there and they've always ran like a champ.

How did you determine the barebones machine was Linux compatible? I bought one that the sales guy at Tiger said was compatible and it wasn't. Bit of a pain in the butt as I had to buy a different motherboard and install it which meant disassembling the PC and reassembling it. I don't really blame the Tiger sales guy on this one as very few people know much about Linux at a consumer sales level.

I am currently having a problem with an order with Tiger. I ordered 5 or so items that included a hard drive the was to be shipped to me and the rest to my partner at a different location. He also had the same hard drive shipped to him and received it a week ago. He received a package on Friday but was going on a trip so he didn't open it. I don't know if he has my hard drive or not at this point. It's not important as I don't need it right away, but two weeks after the order and I don't have the hard drive...

I've had problems with Amazon as well as they are reselling other companies products. They tend to be pretty good though, but not guarantee.

Who do you guys and gals use for computer stuff? Fry's, New Egg...?

Harold, I know you use Fry's, but they are more expensive online than Tiger. They don't have a physical store near where I live. Better tech service though.

Freelancier
05-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Who do you guys and gals use for computer stuff? Fry's, New Egg...?

If I have to touch it, Fry's has the most stuff in one place. If I don't have to touch it, NewEgg or Provantage usually get my vote, although Amazon has been getting more of my money these days.

Harold Mansfield
05-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Harold, I know you use Fry's, but they are more expensive online than Tiger. They don't have a physical store near where I live. Better tech service though.

I haven't actually been inside of a Fry's in a while now. I'm totally happy with Amazon, or buying directly from the manufacturer.
(Knock on wood) I've never needed tech support. I'm pretty comfortable swapping stuff in and out now. So far, I don't have many things that just stop working that I can't service myself.

billbenson
05-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Never heard of Provantage. Anybody else use them?

nealrm
05-06-2013, 04:54 PM
I finished putting in the SSD drive. It took all weekend. Installing the drive took about 5 minutes, about an 1 to clone the drive, and 46 hours 55 minutes to transfer enough data off the drive so I could clone. However, the speed increase is amazing. Total startup time is in seconds, programs start nearly instantly, general running speed is improved. It is literally as if I bought a new faster computer. I did my wife computer it is older and only has a SATA 1 drive connection. Mine is next, it has a SATA 3. It will be interesting to see what happens.

billbenson
05-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Keep us posted Neal. That's interesting!