PDA

View Full Version : Help Maybe? Wordpress.

sunrise_rachel
04-26-2013, 05:39 PM
I really hate to be so needy but I swear I will pay it forward.

I am drowning. I always considered myself somewhat techy. Not quite geeky tech but enough to answer most people's questions about a computer.

I met my match today.

Wordpress has me in a pretzel.

Can someone walk me through it step by baby step? I have read two different tutorials on how to "install" it.

Um, it isn't going well.

I did manage to unzip it. I even opened up the read me in the folder. I tried the first step and hit a wall.

It is now sitting in a folder on my desktop taunting me. Laughing even.

Harold Mansfield
04-26-2013, 05:59 PM
I really hate to be so needy but I swear I will pay it forward.

I am drowning. I always considered myself somewhat techy. Not quite geeky tech but enough to answer most people's questions about a computer.

I met my match today.

Wordpress has me in a pretzel.

Can someone walk me through it step by baby step? I have read two different tutorials on how to "install" it.

Um, it isn't going well.

I did manage to unzip it. I even opened up the read me in the folder. I tried the first step and hit a wall.

It is now sitting in a folder on my desktop taunting me. Laughing even.

What hosting company are you with?

sunrise_rachel
04-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Cingular :) Should I ask him? I have bothered him a bunch already today!

Harold Mansfield
04-26-2013, 06:12 PM

If you have a cleint log in that takes you to a control panel ( usually C-Panel), check and see if they offer WordPress as a one click install.
Or contact support and ask.

If not, you'll need to do a manual install. For you'll need FTP access...but we'll cross the bridge if we have to.

Find out about the one click install.

vangogh
04-26-2013, 06:32 PM
I just did a quick search for cingular. I'm guessing you're on their bronze package and it looks like the control panel you get with them is cPanel. When you login and go to the control panel you should see a whole lot of icons on the right. Look for one called Fantastico. It'll take you to a new page with a list of things you can install and WordPress will be one of them.

When you click to install WordPress it should ask you for some basic information like an email address. If it gives you the option of choosing a username, do choose one instead of the default admin. You can have WordPress generate the password for you. I forget if you get asked anything else. Once you supply the info and click to install it should take a few seconds and you'll have a WordPress site running. The installed should also offer to take you to the admin side of your site where you can login.

If for some reason that doesn't work just let us know and we'll walk you through whatever we need to get you up and running.

MyITGuy
04-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Just say the word and I will get it installed/configured for you!

I just did a quick search for cingular.
Guess I need to improve my signature ;)

vangogh
04-26-2013, 07:00 PM
d'oh. I knew it sounded familiar and I knew the site looked familiar. See how wonderfully observant I am?

By the way if I never told you before, good job on the site. Nice and easy to use and very quick.

MyITGuy
04-26-2013, 07:05 PM
d'oh. I knew it sounded familiar and I knew the site looked familiar. See how wonderfully observant I am?
No worries, I'll blame it on being Friday and a long work week ;)

By the way if I never told you before, good job on the site. Nice and easy to use and very quick.
Thanks, but I can't take full credit (for the design anyway). The guys over at RocketTheme.com put out some real nice templates for Joomla (WordPress, phpBB3 and Magento too...but a bit delayed).

sunrise_rachel
04-26-2013, 07:23 PM
WELL.... I went to the Cpanel and I am totally excited. I auto responders and mailing lists. I have email addresses I can use for others.

I found the Wordpress installer and installed it but it has a blogish look. Is that the right one?

I am so glad I came here! :)

ETA: I can add a forum? That was one of my goals!

ETA again: I got the Wordpress app installed and I am going. I feel like a kid in a candy store right now.

Harold Mansfield
04-26-2013, 07:39 PM
WELL.... I went to the Cpanel and I am totally excited. I auto responders and mailing lists. I have email addresses I can use for others.

I found the Wordpress installer and installed it but it has a blogish look. Is that the right one?
That's the default theme. You can change it to something else, or set it up and customize it.
All it takes it a little HTML on the page. You don't have to get into coding or hacking the files just to make a page look nice.

ETA: I can add a forum? That was one of my goals!
Glad you are exited. Now slow down. Let's get the basics under your belt:
New To WordPress - Where to Start « WordPress Codex (http://codex.wordpress.org/New_To_WordPress_-_Where_to_Start)

MyITGuy
04-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Yep, looks like you got the right one. If you're just starting out and want to customize the site to fit your needs, you can pickup some themes from the sites below (You might find some free elsehwere on the web...but you get a variety here)
WordPress | ThemeForest (http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress)
WordPress Themes Club (http://www.rockettheme.com/wordpress)

Otherwise you can work with one of the designers you find here (Vangogh, Harold and I believe we have a few others) or elsewhere to create something that fits your needs.

ETA again: I got the Wordpress app installed and I am going. I feel like a kid in a candy store right now.

Glad to hear! Once you get the design/layout in order, check out WordPress › WordPress Plugins (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/) to see how you can make life easier (I.E. Job Boards or etc...)

vangogh
05-01-2013, 12:44 AM
I'm glad you were able to get WordPress installed Rachel. Like Harold and Jeff said yes it will look like a blog at first. Do you need help finding a theme. I'm sure we can point you to a few places to look. Many are free. Some of the better ones will cost you a little, say $100 at most. And of course you can always have someone design a custom theme for you, though the cost is naturally higher.

You can add a forum. There's a plugin for WordPress called bbPress, which sets up a forum, but I agree with Harold. Let's get you comfortable working with WordPress and with a theme you like. Then we'll get you working with a forum. It'll be a little more work and more to get used to so it's best to work with the basic WordPress for a bit first.

Harold Mansfield
05-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Just to add to that, DO NOT trust free themes from anywhere except the WordPress Theme repository (http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/), I think Woo Themes has one or 2 free ones and so does Solostream.
DO NOT trust "Free WordPress Themes" websites.

Also, do not trust free plug ins that are not in the WordPress plug in repository. The only exception would be free plug ins from Woo Themes, and WPMUDEV.
There may be a few other trusted sources.

If you aren't sure, ask before you install.

vangogh
05-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Good point. I really shouldn't have suggested them. I know there are some good free themes out there, but more often than not they aren't developed well. Paying even $20 for a theme will get you something much, much better in most cases.The best themes are usually in the $75 - $125 range.