PDA

View Full Version : Can we still use our Facebook profile for fun? Or is everything reputation now?

Harold Mansfield
04-22-2013, 10:01 AM
I've always used my Facebook personal profile for fun. Cracking jokes with friends, political discussions, memes and so on.

But lately (actually for a about 2 years now) it seems as if all of the "experts" are saying that you can't even do that anymore. That your personal profile should be managed as if business contacts or employers are looking at it.

I understand this with networks such as Linked In, but Facebook too?

I've always kept my work, and any associated emails and phone numbers away from my personal profile, but I can't change the name. I've also set the privacy so that outsiders can't see any personal information, wall posts and so on, but that's not perfect.

And I have separate business pages for business, and invite business associates to join me there. But now I think this isn't enough anymore.

This really takes all of the "Social" out of Social Networking and quite frankly, takes all of the fun out of the internet.

Do any of you do as I do and use your personal profile for personal stuff?
Or are all of your profiles business only, and you refrain from having any fun on Social Media?

nealrm
04-22-2013, 10:06 AM
It all depends on how strong the tie are between your name and your business. In general, don't put anything on Facebook that you wouldn't post on a billboard. As for Facebook's 'privacy' settings, they seem to change at least once a year and also towards give more people access.

patrickprecisione
04-22-2013, 12:44 PM
I've always kept my work, and any associated emails and phone numbers away from my personal profile, but I can't change the name.
?

I'm confused- Why can't you change your name? I have a few friends who have changed their name on Facebook so that employers can't find them. Has FB made a recent change so you can't alter your name?

If your only real concern is prospective employers or customers seeing your profile, I'm fairly certain you can make it unsearchable.

Harold Mansfield
04-22-2013, 12:48 PM
If your only real concern is prospective employers or customers seeing your profile, I'm fairly certain you can make it unsearchable.

Nothing is truly unsearchable.

patrickprecisione
04-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Nothing is truly unsearchable.

I hear ya. Do you feel like what you're posting is especially offensive and/or would turn off potential customers? I mean, I'm sure if a customer did search for you on Facebook (I'm not sure how likely it is they'll take the time to do this) and find your profile, I'm sure they'd understand that you're an adult and also, it's Facebook.

Harold Mansfield
04-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Well, this is kind of what I'm unsure of. Common sense tells me that the average non tech savvy, potential client is not that advanced yet and may search for you online to see if there are any bad reviews, but doesn't investigate you like a Human Resources Department.

But just knowing that the occasional person could kind of makes me feel a little uneasy.

patrickprecisione
04-24-2013, 09:55 AM
I bet you're probably alright, but I completely understand your concern. In fact, if some potential clients do come across your Facebook page, they might even appreciate seeing you in a less business, more relaxed setting. Hey, it could happen...

Harold Mansfield
04-25-2013, 09:27 AM
I spent some time trying to see my own Facebook stuff without being logged into my account and was unsuccessful. The closest I could get was my friends accounts when they commented on my posts, I could see the posts.

I can't find any open threads in search results, but there were a few images that I was tagged in.

The thing that really freaked my out was when I noticed that I could see other people's Facebook posts in Outlook when I looked at their email. But now I see that you have to allow that from your end.

MyITGuy
04-25-2013, 10:53 AM
If I have clients on my Facebook profile, then I will generally exclude them from seeing my posts...so I still have some fun...

With this in mind though, you do have to be careful with what you put out there as clients may somehow get a hold of it, and it may impact your relationship with them.

Business Attorney
04-25-2013, 12:02 PM
I have a couple of clients who found me on Facebook and invited me to be friends. Generally, these are clients who are not close personal friends but who we do have social interaction with once or twice a year. I accepted their invitation. Ignoring it did not seem like a good option.

Knowing that someone in general and a few clients specifically may see anything I post, I still post personal status updates and photos but I think about the image a little more. I would still post a vacation photo, but perhaps in floral shirt rather than in swimming trunks. I still may make an occasional post about politics but it is much more bland than I might otherwise post.

For what it is worth, I have also suggested to my sister, niece, son and daughter on different occasions that they delete posts they have made. While it is perhaps true that you can't put the genie back in the bottle, once something is deleted and the major search engines update their indices, it becomes much less likely that someone will stumble across the item.

SWAMP80
05-06-2013, 02:44 PM
I think you can use Facebook for fun, just lock down your profile and be cautious of whom you connect with. For clients and more serious contacts, connect through LinkedIn. Keep mindful of anything on your Facebook profile that is public (i.e., profile/cover photos, etc.). Otherwise, definitely use it for fun!

rcalie
06-22-2013, 12:49 PM
I personally don't care what someone sees on my personal page. I'm not begging for a job so I could care less what an HR manager would think and if a client does not like that I am an unabashed conservative, I have no qualms with firing them!

Work with people you want to work with, don't go through life walking on eggshells, and you'll be happier with far less stress.

I share items from my business page on my personal profile because that is part of who I am.

Here's a tip: When I like something business related or another business' fb page, I like it as both my page and personally to help them boost their likes. I also send them a message telling them that I did so. Some actually reciprocate and tell me they like the idea. I don't ask them to.

Are you frustrated with Facebook hiding your page from your fans? Check this post out on how to get more fans to see what you post on facebook (http://rcalie.com/fbdesign/its-not-enough-for-people-to-like-your-business/). This not a promotion to buy something. It's a tip you can put into action now!

patrickprecisione
06-24-2013, 08:38 AM
I personally don't care what someone sees on my personal page. I'm not begging for a job so I could care less what an HR manager would think and if a client does not like that I am an unabashed conservative, I have no qualms with firing them!

Work with people you want to work with, don't go through life walking on eggshells, and you'll be happier with far less stress.

I share items from my business page on my personal profile because that is part of who I am.

Here's a tip: When I like something business related or another business' fb page, I like it as both my page and personally to help them boost their likes. I also send them a message telling them that I did so. Some actually reciprocate and tell me they like the idea. I don't ask them to.

Are you frustrated with Facebook hiding your page from your fans? Check this post out on how to get more fans to see what you post on facebook (http://rcalie.com/fbdesign/its-not-enough-for-people-to-like-your-business/). This not a promotion to buy something. It's a tip you can put into action now!

Good tip! Being active on related companies (not competition, of course) FB pages is another great way to gain more likes.

Harold Mansfield
06-24-2013, 09:15 AM

I'm sure that you can understand why that isn't desirable, nor smart for everyone. There can be cross over if some friends are also fans of your page and it's natural for people to mention or talk about work, however for me, I'd rather not continually promote my business to my friends, and similarly like to keep my business separate from my personal conversations.

It's really not about "eggshells". Some things are just unprofessional and there are a lot of Small Business owners who are oblivious to that.
Admittedly, I never back down from a discussion about things that I feel strongly about, but in a business setting, they are usually business or industry related. Not politics, or personal BS.