PDA

View Full Version : International Space Station Browsing my site.

nealrm
04-01-2013, 12:10 PM
I was out on Google analytics and noticed that the internal space station was visiting my site. Based on the traffic, the entire crew appears to be hunting for real estate in eastern Missouri. I guess the agents will need to determine how to best arrange a showing..

Harold Mansfield
04-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Google always did have a great sense of humor on April first.

KristineS
04-01-2013, 04:13 PM
That's funny.

vangogh
04-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Neal, maybe you need to look into what real estate is available outside the atmosphere or in other parts of the solar system. I feel safe in saying you won't have any competition.

Google does like to play practical jokes. Not that I have anything against practical jokes, but April 1st has become one of my least favorite days on the internet. Far too many sites that aren't good at it try to play practical jokes on everyone. I pretty much ignored everything that came through my feed reader today. The sad thing is with many of the sites the article titles today when they're trying to go over the top aren't any different from the usual day when they're trying to go over the top for different reasons.

Freelancier
04-02-2013, 10:39 AM
but April 1st has become one of my least favorite days on the internet.

sorry, but there's nuthin' funnier than my 6-year-old screwing up an April Fool's joke. :D

vangogh
04-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Unless your 6-year old is writing news online that's fine. I'm not saying April Fool's is a bad day or anything. Just saying too many websites try to play practical jokes with stories that aren't funny and are also indistinguishable from their regular stories. It makes for a day where it's waste of time to read what comes through my feed reader.

nealrm
04-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Given some the the new stories I have seen online, I give it even money on them being written by a 6-year-old.

I do understand your point so. If you are going to do a practical joke on a world wide scale, you need to put some effort into it. Otherwise, skip it.

vangogh
04-03-2013, 12:13 AM
The worst part is many of the sites that ran practical joke news didn't do much of anything different from their non practical joke news. With too many of them the joke and non joke stuff is nearly indistinguishable. A few years ago I would read most of their news on April 1st only to eventually get to the part where you could tell it was a joke. Everything up to that point could have been any other article on the site. It was such a waste of time that ever since I tend to ignore most of what I see on April 1st.

If someone plays a good practical joke then good for them. The visits from the International Space station is funny. They clearly set it up so it would be the top source sending you traffic. You can't miss it and for a split second you're fooled. Then you realize what day it is and say good one Google. On the other hand a tech blog that's telling me about the latest rumor that's indistinguishable from every other unsubstantiated rumor the site posts isn't funny and is just a waste of time.

nealrm
04-03-2013, 08:35 AM
One of the cool aspect was the locator dot. Google analytics plots on the map where your traffic is coming from. The one for the ISS was slowly moving across the map.

vangogh
04-04-2013, 10:29 PM
That's funny. Google does have a sense of humor and they usually do April Fool's well. The majority of blogs I'm subscribed to, not so much.