PDA

View Full Version : Facebook promoted post for competition

helbell39
03-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Hi everyone

Does anyone know how to appropriately promote a Facebook post for a competition? The guidelines are a little vague but the way I'm interpreting them is that since the post is advertising a competition and not the actual business or service it may get rejected. I've attempted to post this question on Facebook's community forum but for some reason they marked my cleanly worded question as abusive and I do not have the time to deal with that. Perhaps they do not want such questions asked in their so called community.

If anyone has any tips for a beginner that would be helpful.

Helen

KristineS
03-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Facebook has some pretty specific rules about the use of a page for contests or promotions. These are their page guidelines (https://www.facebook.com/page_guidelines.php). This is the part that may be relevant to what you're doing:

E. Promotions
If you use Facebook to communicate about or administer a promotion (such as a contest or sweepstakes), you are responsible for the lawful operation of that promotion, including the official rules, offer terms and eligibility requirements (e.g., age and residency restrictions), and compliance with regulations governing the promotion and all prizes offered in connection with the promotion (e.g., registration and obtaining necessary regulatory approvals). Please note that compliance with these guidelines does not constitute the lawfulness of a promotion. Promotions are subject to many regulations and if you are not certain that your promotion complies with applicable law, please consult with an expert.
i. Promotions on Facebook must be administered within Apps on Facebook.com, either on a Canvas Page or a Page App.
ii. Promotions on Facebook must include the following:
a. A complete release of Facebook by each entrant or participant.
b. Acknowledgment that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
c. Disclosure that the participant is providing information to [disclose recipient(s) of information] and not to Facebook.
iii. You must not condition registration or entry upon the user taking any action using any Facebook features or functionality other than liking a Page, checking in to a Place, or connecting to your app. For example, you must not condition registration or entry upon the user liking a Wall post, or commenting or uploading a photo on a Wall.
iv. You must not use Facebook features or functionality as a promotion’s registration or entry mechanism. For example, the act of liking a Page or checking in to a Place cannot automatically register or enter a promotion participant.
v. You must not use Facebook features or functionality, such as the Like button, as a voting mechanism for a promotion.
vi. You must not notify winners through Facebook, such as through Facebook messages, chat, or posts on profiles (timelines) or Pages.
vii. Definitions:
a. By “administration” we mean the operation of any element of the promotion, such as collecting entries, conducting a drawing, judging entries, or notifying winners.
b. By “communication” we mean promoting, advertising or referencing a promotion in any way on Facebook, e.g., in ads, on a Page, or in a Wall post.

SWAMP80
05-06-2013, 03:02 PM
When you promote a post for a contest you have to direct it to a Facebook tab/application. Only your page fans will see it (but more of them will see it than a normal post). Be sure not to use any Facebook functionality on that promoted post as a way to win - for example, like to win X, share to win X, comment and we'll randomly select, etc. Hope that helps!

MarketingSolutions
06-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Have you guys had success in posting "Like to win X and Share to win X"? I've been thinking about doing this to boost my audience on FB.

patrickprecisione
06-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Have you guys had success in posting "Like to win X and Share to win X"? I've been thinking about doing this to boost my audience on FB.

These types of contests are not allowed on Facebook. They've explicitly stated that you can not use a like or a share as entry in to a contest. Now with that being said, plenty of brand pages still do these types of contests and most of them do so without repercussion. Just don't say I didn't try and warn ya

VICPrint
06-17-2013, 10:57 AM
One way to do this without any repercussion is to use an app on your page. You can go to shortstack.com and there is a free tool that lets you make contest and coupon apps that look really good. The problem with these though is that you have to have someone go to your page and actually visit your app. But I have two on my page, but so far there hasnt been enough traffic on my page for people to really click on them.

<please set up a signature through Settings>

hayden
07-31-2013, 09:26 AM
There are 4 key things you must do in-order to cover yourself when running a Facebook competition:

You must use a 3rd party app to administer the competition. Release Facebook from any ties with the competition (have a terms and conditions link). For example ‘Facebook is in no way associated with this competition, you are providing information to [disclose recipient(s) of information] and not to Facebook. The only required action you can tie into your competition as a form of entry is liking your page (via a like gate) and checking in. You must not use Facebook as your primary form of communication when contacting the winner, you must contact the winner via other means. You can publicly announce the winner via Facebook but only after they have been informed via another method first.

As long as you are linking to the tab app in your promoted post you will be fine, however if you are using an image in the promoted post it is classed as advertising and you will also need to apply to their ad guidelines. The main one to watch out for is the 20% text rule which always seems to get me (no more than 20% text in ad images)

LGCG
07-31-2013, 09:44 AM
The funny thing is I still see plenty of business running contests right there on their pages. Or requiring a comment or share in order to enter the contest. I guess it's hard to crack down on those pages.

Harold Mansfield
07-31-2013, 11:37 AM
I've found just paying for "Likes" is the easiest way to go. I've had clients do it and get thousands of new fans that are engaging and share thier content, and I even experimented with it myself. I threw $20 at it the other day with no planning and got 11 new likes. It works, and it basically comes out to about .50 cents a like, maybe less if targeted properly.

hayden
08-01-2013, 07:34 AM
It's best to use a 3rd party platform and play it safe. There has been instances of pages being disabled but these usually include multiple violations.

patrickprecisione
08-01-2013, 10:07 AM
I've found just paying for "Likes" is the easiest way to go. I've had clients do it and get thousands of new fans that are engaging and share thier content, and I even experimented with it myself. I threw $20 at it the other day with no planning and got 11 new likes. It works, and it basically comes out to about .50 cents a like, maybe less if targeted properly.

I've also had some positive experience with Facebook ads for generating new likes. If that's what you're looking to do it definitely works.