PDA

View Full Version : The Validity of Quotes on the Intnernet

vangogh
02-08-2013, 12:35 AM
You may have seen this already, since it's made the rounds, but I thought it funny, true, and worth sharing.

"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you cannot confirm their validity"
-- Abraham Lincoln

Honest Abe. So wise and so ahead of his time.

KristineS
02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Too funny and too true.

vangogh
02-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Yeah. I thought it was funny as soon as I saw it. And it makes a good point.

jim.sklansky
02-08-2013, 02:10 PM
The preliminary research of Internet was on 1960 and Abraham Lincoln was passed about 100 years ago (1865). So how he could make the speech on Internet!?

Harold Mansfield
02-08-2013, 02:55 PM
I do this on Facebook all of the time. Some of my friends are notorious for sharing made up memes that attribute a fake quote to someone, who never said it. So after I bust it, I always leave something like:

"Access to Social Media is imperative to conversation and discourse for all Americans into the future"- Thomas Jefferson.

Or some other favorites:
"Behind every great man there stands a great woman. Behind every great woman is a great behind". — Bill Clinton
"The greatest thing about Facebook, is that you can quote something and totally make up the source." — George Washington

vangogh
02-08-2013, 03:49 PM
The preliminary research of Internet was on 1960 and Abraham Lincoln was passed about 100 years ago (1865). So how he could make the speech on Internet!?

Thus showing how little you can trust quotes on the internet :)

billbenson
02-09-2013, 09:14 PM
"Behind every great man there stands a great woman. Behind every great woman is a great behind". — Bill Clinton

Ya but there are some accurate quotes :)