PDA

View Full Version : What booze do you like??

Dan Furman
01-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Since manliness and drinking came up in another thread, I figured I'd see what everyone likes to drink.

I'm verymuch into microbrewed beer. Have been since my first Sam Adams around 1989. They were the first to break that "bud / miller / coors" yellow beer stranglehold on bars. I loooove visiting brewpubs and sampling what they have.

I'm a seasonal beer drinker. Meaning heavier stouts and porters in the colder weather, and IPA's / etc in the summer. My favorite all-around beer is probably Newcastle Brown Ale. Although Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is pretty high up there as well, as is Guinness.

Big whiskey guy too - single malt scotch and bourbon are my favorites. Been partial to Islay scotches the last year or so - like that peaty/smoke flavor. I like Eagle Rare bourbon a lot, too. I used to drink Whiskey w/ ice, but I don't like it watered down, so now I use whiskey stones (basically soapstone cubes that you keep in the freezer) to give it a little chill, without watering it down.

I want to like wine - I feel like I am missing something, and as one who has really come to enjoy Whiskey, I "get" the aquired taste thing. But it hasn't happened yet. I have enjoyed a red w/ steak a time or two, but it's not something I seek out. I should do a winery tour / tasting - that might help.

What do you like?

Harold Mansfield
01-08-2013, 05:05 PM
I worked as a Bartender for almost 20 years and in that time I have tasted everything from Jaeger to Louis XIII de Rémy Martin. I've had $1 shot vodkas and $500 a shot tequila. Taken classes and training on everything from wine to scotches to cigars.

I've tried every new liquor to come out since Clinton was inaugurated. I watched America go through a ton of phases from Zima to Martinis and in all of that time, I still generally don't like most alcohol. Especially Gin, Vodka, and most clear Rums.

I'll sip wine on a date or social gathering, but I'm not a big fan I don't care how expensive it is. I've always hated Champagne, so I was never that guy at the club that bought it to impress the ladies. I always thought Champagne was for suckers.

I've always generally drank lighter beers and ales, and whiskey. On an average outing I'm perfectly comfortable with Bud Light and shots of Crown Royal, although I prefer Reserve.
On special occasions I'll do a Knob Creek, or a Makers Mark. If you give me anything like Jack Daniels, Jim Beam or any other mash I'll throw up.

St Paddy's is my favorite drinking holiday by the way.

Dan Furman
01-08-2013, 05:20 PM
On special occasions I'll do a Knob Creek, or a Makers Mark. If you give me anything like Jack Daniels, Jim Beam or any other mash I'll throw up.

St Paddy's is my favorite drinking holiday by the way.

Not a fan of the mash myself (although Gentleman Jack isn't bad). Being a bartender on St Paddy's day must have been a gas.

Harold Mansfield
01-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Being a bartender on St Paddy's day must have been a gas.
Not really then. Not in Las Vegas, because you can't drink behind the bar (gaming laws). So basically days like that are hard work. St Paddy's, New Years Eve, 3 day weekends...are all just a grueling, wet, sweaty nights of drunk, over-served, non tipping amateurs.

Not to be gross, but if you make it through a St Paddy's or New Years and don't see puke, it was a good night. No matter how much money you may or may not make, Bartenders HATE those nights.

It's even worse when you drive a limo. Someone is going to puke in the back. You go to work accepting that. You never wear your best suit on those nights.

The only thing good about it is that when you get off of work bars are still open, so you and the other service people have somewhere to go for drinks and bitch about how horrible the night was and drink till sunrise. :)

Those "holidays" are much more fun now that I don't have to work them. I only recently got to enjoy holidays like that and holiday weekends. Another bonus to self employement.

Ted
01-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Single Malts =Yum
Churchill Martini's = Yums
Napa reds = Yum
Sonoma reds = Yum
Russian River red Zins = Yum

Evan
01-08-2013, 10:21 PM
I used to love hard liquors, but now favor wine. It took me awhile to make that transition, but it's certainly does require the right taste. The problem is if you're not a wine afficinado, most people drink whatever and think "oh, that's a Merlot" and that's not right. It's best to buy the "type" of wine based on where it's best produced -- though you can find other types in that region, it's not necessarily the best. For example, a Malbec wine from South America (say Argentina) will probably be decent. That's not to say there aren't great wines elsewhere and in the odd places -- but I think it's best starting off in the right region and understanding it. It may also be good to do research in order to understand what the wine is supposed to be like -- whether dry or spicy, or whether it should be deep or light. White wines I'm not a fan of, but they are a bit sweeter in general. Many restaurants also screw up the red wines because their "room temperature" isn't right -- it's the room of a cellar -- not outside the kitchen!

billbenson
01-08-2013, 10:34 PM
I frequently drink bud, but it's strictly an association thing. Drank a lot of Bud in college having good times. I don't consider it a good beer.
Quality beer - there are so many out there to choose from that I usually don't know what to buy. I have friends that drink good beer and I rely on them when I'm out and drinking beer.
I don't really care for grain alcohols. Whiskey, vodka etc. Having said that I had some Japanese whiskey that retails for $200 a bottle at a sushi bar a while back. It was really good.
I don't drink to get drunk, not even in college. I don't ever remember downing a shot. I have found out however, that you if sip liquor all night you end up drunk :)
I do like Quervo Gold. I'll drink it on the rocks or even straight up, but I sip it. I prefer it over more expensive tequila’s such as El Patron.
I did have an outstanding dirty martini I wish I could duplicate. It was at the same sushi bar that I tried that great whiskey above.

I think if you are truly a manly man you drink shots of whatever is in front of you, fall down, and barf. Then you get in a car and go joy riding.

Dan Furman
01-08-2013, 10:45 PM
I think if you are truly a manly man you drink shots of whatever is in front of you, fall down, and barf. Then you get in a car and go joy riding.

:)

Yea, certainly not a big fan of getting drunk anymore. As you get older, getting drunk / recovery simply takes too much time. Would much rather have a beer or three, or sip two whiskey's over two hours, and call it a night.

Shots... what a waste that was (still, kind of a right of passage, I suppose). Would be expensive today - not into pounding a $10 glass of good whiskey ;)

True to their nature, the Japanese have definitely made some mighty fine whiskey (odd as that may seem.)

Dan Furman
01-08-2013, 10:53 PM
I used to love hard liquors, but now favor wine. It took me awhile to make that transition, but it's certainly does require the right taste. The problem is if you're not a wine afficinado, most people drink whatever and think "oh, that's a Merlot" and that's not right. It's best to buy the "type" of wine based on where it's best produced -- though you can find other types in that region, it's not necessarily the best. For example, a Malbec wine from South America (say Argentina) will probably be decent. That's not to say there aren't great wines elsewhere and in the odd places -- but I think it's best starting off in the right region and understanding it. It may also be good to do research in order to understand what the wine is supposed to be like -- whether dry or spicy, or whether it should be deep or light. White wines I'm not a fan of, but they are a bit sweeter in general. Many restaurants also screw up the red wines because their "room temperature" isn't right -- it's the room of a cellar -- not outside the kitchen!

Ok, so if you have an interest in reds, and like "stronger / deeper" flavors, where would you explore? I want to really taste it. Like I said, I like Islay Scotch, which is about as heavy as whiskey gets.

billbenson
01-08-2013, 11:11 PM
That's the problem with wine's. You will truly enjoy them more if you educate yourself and your palate. I have not done that. A glass of decent house wine is ok if I want some wine with a meal or after at other times, but cheap wine is really a guaranteed headache if you drink very much of it.

nealrm
01-09-2013, 12:23 AM
That's the problem with wine's. You will truly enjoy them more if you educate yourself and your palate. That's a bunch of BS push by wine snobs that want to impress others with there wine knowledge. Nor is inexpensive wine necessarily of lower quality. Try a German Kabinett or Spatlese. They will run you between $12 to $20 per bottle and are a good dinner wine. If you want to treat yourself try a Eiswein (but hold onto you wallet). If you want to go US, look at wine from my region (Missouri). There are more wineries around here than you can count. They range from poor to very good, but I have not seen any the are very expensive.

Also look at hard ciders. Angry orchard produces one that I find to be very refreshing. Both tart and slightly sweet. A pleasant contrast to most beers.

In truth most major beers do not impress me. If I am going to drink a beers, it will be very dark and most likely from a micro brewery. St Louis has Shafly has some good beers. So does Free State Brewing in Lawrence Kansas.

billbenson
01-09-2013, 12:31 AM
That's a bunch of BS push by wine snobs that want to impress others with there wine knowledge

I'm not saying you need to spend $100 on a bottle of wine. But unless you go to a lot of wine tastings over time and study what you like going into a wine store and buying something you like is not necessarily easy. And that box of Chablis will definitely give you a headache the next morning.

KristineS
01-09-2013, 11:42 AM
I worked for a local winery for a while, so I'm a big fan of the wines from our region in N. Michigan. There's a Late Harvest Riesling from one of the wineries here that is my favorite. It's a white wine, and sweeter than most, but I always enjoyed it. I've never liked beer and don't drink it. I have a friend who makes a killer chocolate martini and I always enjoyed those.

Wonder if I'm proving a stereotype, women like sweeter more foofy drinks and men like harder drinks like scotch and whiskey.

Harold Mansfield
01-09-2013, 01:04 PM
I think some of my inability to enjoy wine comes from the fact that I can't eat and drink (alcohol) at the same time, and people generally associate wine with food.
I don't know why, but my body just will not do both. If I try to eat any food at all while I'm drinking, that's it, I can't continue drinking anymore.

That and wine just seems like so much trouble. Everyone has an opinion of what is good, what is "real" , what you should be drinking and what you shouldn't...and the whole thing just seems so un-enjoyable to have to worry about all of that.

Also, even though I enjoy a quality beverage such as a well made Rum, Whiskey or Microbrew, I just can't get into how expensive wine can be. Like I said, I'm a long time ex bartender. It's all booze to me and it all serves the same purpose. I can't fathom what some people spend on a bottle of wine for 3 1/2 glasses of 20 proof booze. Another reason why I can't get into Champagne.

It just seems like such a waste that is more about the status than the actual drink. I don't feel anymore decadent drinking a Bud Light and a Shot of Crown, than I do a glass of Perrier-Jouët.

But you also have to remember that I spent a lot of years working nightclubs watching people try and be something that they aren't, and over spending on drinks just to show that they can is part of that to me.

I guess when it comes to liquor, I'm just blue collar about the whole thing. It's just not that serious. Not to say that I don't like and apreciate nice things, but you will probably never see me with a wine collection.

KristineS
01-09-2013, 01:29 PM
I don't drink alcohol at all any more, due to health issues and medication reactions, and didn't drink much when I did drink. I never cared what was trendy or what I "should" be drinking, I just knew what I liked and what I didn't. Some alcohol, like wine, can be a big business and some people are very serious about that business. I never was. Since I never drank to get drunk and didn't really like the taste of a lot of different drinks, for me it had to be about whether I enjoyed what I was drinking. If I did, cost and prestige didn't matter.

billbenson
01-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Got together with my college friends about 5 years ago. 5 of us who are still good friends. We were at a friends house and slept there. We ate great food and drank until 3am. We had a great time BSing about anything and everything. Barfed the next day, but on that occasion it was worth it. Haven't done that since though :)