PDA

View Full Version : Help for a twit at twittering

nealrm
01-05-2013, 05:49 PM
One of my goals for this year is working on our presence on Twitter. To be honest this is not an area that I know a great deal about. In general, my knowledge is basically - you type in a tweet and other people should see. So I set up two accounts, one for me and one for the company. My account follows the company. I noticed that I am receiving the tweets on my account, but they do not show up when I search on the hashtags. I little research showed that the hashtag may or may not be index by twitter based on some indexing formula. Twitters guideline are extremely vague on what it takes to get indexed. Does anyone have any suggestions?

vangogh
01-05-2013, 10:07 PM
The best way to get started is to follow a few people. I did a search for real estate without any hashtag and I see a bunch of tweets. Read through some and follow a few people and just see what they tweet and get to know them. From there you can expand outside of real estate and start following others.

The only way people will see tweets from you is if they follow you. More than likely if you follow some people some of them will follow you back. If you reply to something they say and they reply back their follows will see their reply and some will follow you. If you haven't yet, add something to your site with a link to your profile so people can follow you. If you're on the site of something you'd like to talk to and they have a link to their Twitter profile follow them.

When you're tweeting don't make all of the tweets be you putting out information about your company. You have to do more than that. Imagine every one of your posts here was jus you promoting your company. Aside from the fact that I'd delete all the posts and likely ban your account, no one would really want to read all the promotion. Instead you joined the community. You respond to some conversations and start others and we all get to know each other. It's really no different on Twitter (or any social network). From the company account it'll make sense to post company information, but even then try to just post information that your followers will find interesting. Don't make it all be about you.

If you're going to keep Twitter open and pay attention to the company account often enough you can use the company account for customer support. You can ask your customers questions to help you improve your service.

People post all sorts of things on Twitter. Images, links to interesting content, quick thoughts. Once you're following and being followed by the same people you can have some conversations. They probably won't be as in depth as a conversation here, but they do happen.

The best way to start is to follow some people. If you're on any other social networks like Facebook look for people you connect with their. Chances are some or many also have Twitter accounts. Like any other network think first what you can contribute and watch for the unwritten rules of the community. Give it some time. Once you've observed how others use the system it'll be easier to know how you should too.

nealrm
01-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Thanks,

OK, sounds like I need to start letting people know the we are tweeting. I should be able to leverage my sites traffic and Realtor connections. Most of the agents and sellers will be more than happy to retweet information on their properties. I can also throw in some information about preparing your home for photos, local market trends and the like.

hanabeecreative
01-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Congrats on the tweeting!

One of the reasons it might not be showing up when you search for it is because it defaults to showing you 'Top' results. That could mean if it was
retweeted a lot or it could be paid. You can change the filter by clicking on 'all' it's small at the top of the search resultes. (Top/All/People you follow)

I agree with vangogh, following others can help get some attention and sometimes tweeters will follow you back. Replying to peoples tweets are always a way to get some attention on there. Twitter is all about the conversation... so join in!

KristineS
01-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Definitely agree with Vangogh about not making all your Tweets aimed at selling. Tweet about cool houses you've seen. Tweet tips about how to prepare your house for selling, how to find a house to buy or how to pick a relator. Make your feed interesting and also make sure you respond to those who comment or retweet what you've said.

I'd also definitely practice strategic following. I'm assuming the goal of your business Twitter account is to find customers and publicize the business. Figure out who is in your target market and follow those people. Don't try to build up a ton of followers, since most of them would be unrelated to your business and probably not interested anyway. The idea is to create a group of followers who will be interested in your business and in what you have to say.

Don't worry about hashtags. Most hashtags are annoying and have very little relevance. They're useful if you're having a conference or trying to gather Tweets on a particular subject, but generally they're not much use. I'd concentrate more on following strategically and putting out good content on your feed.

daddiomedia
02-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Your "selling" tweets should be in the 30%-40% range. The rest should be interactions with followers and RT's. Also, look at who your biggest competitors are and look down their followers list. Follow some that you think may be good for your biz. Avoid big names with big followers and almost no follows. Follow people who are likely to follow you back so you can start a community.