PDA

View Full Version : Is that a job?

dereksbicycles
12-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Let's say you get up and you chose to stay in your PJ. You chose to spend much of your day listing items on E Bay. Maybe you plan to list maybe 60 items on E Bay. You would start and quit any time you want. You would do it on your own time. I don't mean spending every day listing items on E Bay. I know that E Bay seller needs time to pack up and ship items not to mention shopping for items. Maybe they want to fix up items they got to put on E Bay so that they would sell better.

I get other people who are upset at me because they work a 40 hour job. They thinks that I should have a real job if they are working.

So what do you make of this?

Steve B
12-09-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't understand your question. Of course it's a job. Even with flexible hours and relaxed dress codes it still counts as a "job". For me, it sounds like a job I would hate - listing things on e-bay and packaging things would not be a good fit for me. I do it a fair amount and see it as a chore, but for other people it's a great way to make some money.

huggytree
12-09-2012, 09:32 AM
For me it would depend on how much you make....if your making hundreds a day then 'heck' yea its a job....if your making $50 a day then its just a hobby

i know of a guy who buys old cars...then parts them out on Ebay....sounds like he makes hundreds to thousands a day......but his day isnt just listing items...its Finding the items that really makes his business....getting the cars at the right price and dissembling them and packaging them.....Ebay is just the final and smallest part of the job

Freelancier
12-09-2012, 10:36 AM
I get other people who are upset at me because they work a 40 hour job. They thinks that I should have a real job if they are working.

Depends on who is upset. Is it your parents whose home you're living in rent-free? If so, then YES, go get a real job that can pay for your own place to live. If you live in your own home and are able to support yourself on this income, then it's a job regardless of dress code. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Wozcreative
12-09-2012, 11:26 AM
It is a job, but not one that involves much skills. Some people may be upset because it is not likely you will advance in these types of skills. I get frustrated with some of my peers who choose to go the lazy way of going about things rather than working their ass off to advance in their career. I don't know if this is the lazy way, but your peers might think so.

I usually have 3 rules when accepting a job.. and one or more must apply for me to be happy:

1. Money must be really good.
2. Opportunity for advancement + you learn lots every day.
3. Great on resume/portfolio

I don't see getting much out of it other than income.

billbenson
12-09-2012, 06:18 PM
I agree with all of the above but I think Huggy summed it up pretty well:

For me it would depend on how much you make....if your making hundreds a day then 'heck' yea its a job....if your making $50 a day then its just a hobby

And it does kind of seem like you need a new circle of friends. Their reaction seems more like jealousy to me. I'm in Florida. In the summer I get up, put swim trunks on, get a cup of coffee and walk into my office. I'm at work. And I go to work when I wake up, whether it's 5am or noon.

There are a lot of us out there.

nealrm
12-10-2012, 12:34 AM
As was stated above, if the activity allows you to provide shelter, food and clothing for yourself then you can call it a job. But, given the terms you used to describe the activity, it sounds more like a pastime that is being done instead of work. Finding and selling items on Ebay can bring in some money. If you are listing 60 items a day and bring in $120+ a day in profit, you can call it a job. If you are just listing 60 items, then it is a long weekend hobby and you need to find something else to support yourself.

KristineS
12-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Who cares what they think?

If what you're doing is bringing in enough cash to allow you to be self supporting and if you're not doing anything illegal and/or immoral, then you're fine. There are some people who still think a job is something where you go to an office at 8 and quit at 5 and the rest of the time is your own. Other people choose to make money and manage their time differently. If it works for you and allows you to be self supporting and you're happy doing it, what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

Harold Mansfield
12-11-2012, 11:05 AM
If it pays your bills, you are supporting yourself and paying taxes then it's a job. A job isn't defined by work hours or dress code.
According to the SBA 50% of ALL small businesses are run from someone's home.

If, however, you are not paying the bills and are reliant on someone else to pay them (that isn't a spouse), then I can understand why they would say things like that.

But there is a fine line. It takes some time to develop your home based business into something that provides a steady income. When you are in that grey area where it's not exactly paying the bills but you are growing it, it's common for those around you to say things like "get a real job" because they don't understand what it takes to grow a business.

A couple of years ago as my friends from my old job that we all lost together started getting work again, they used to joke with me about "getting a real job". Today however, they are saying how much they wish they had used that off time to learn a few things and develop a business like I did.

NikoBrew
12-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Sounds like someone is jealous :) If you enjoy what you're doing, AND making the money you need to live the way that you enjoy more power to you. I generally say that I'm self-employed but I often times feel like I'm semi-retired because my business is also my hobby and I can do 99% of it from anywhere with an internet connection. Cheers to living the dream!