PDA

View Full Version : New toy: Windows 8 phone

nealrm
11-30-2012, 11:20 AM
My old iPhone had the wifi go out, so it was time to replace it. I decided to try one of the new Windows 8 phones. All I can say is WOW. The easy of use blows the iPhones out of the water and is a step up on the Androids.

Freelancier
11-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Just got the Droid Razr Maxx HD yesterday and that's also a WOW, plus the battery takes forever to die. What makes the Win8 phone better than the alternatives?

nealrm
11-30-2012, 02:44 PM
The Windows 8 interface really works well on a smartphone. Response is great. Plus the start screen is very configurable. Not only can you change the order, but also the size and shape of the icons. Speed dial is very easy to setup and use. You simple pin the phone number to the start menu. So I configured mine to have a large phone button at the top, with several smaller speed dial button below. Each speed dial button has the person name displayed. Below that is a large calendar with my appointment for the day.

You can also speed dial anyone on your phone list. Simple hold the center button for about 3 second. And state "Call _________". You can open apps that same way. I even tried "Closest McDonold's" and "Closest Walmart". In both cases it popped up a map showing me where to go. The Nokia view app is wild. You hold the phone vertically and it shows you the business in that direct. As you turn, the view changes.

If you still need to find someone in your phone book. The look up is much easier. You can scroll the list list the iphone or android, but you can also tap to show an alphabet to jump to a specific letter.

I found the interface just easier to use than the Androids.

The camera is good. It has Carl Zeiss optics.

I did look at the new iPhone. It was small, more expensive and less usable than either the Androids or Windows phone.

Pack-Secure
11-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the review, I will be looking for a new phone soon.

Harold Mansfield
12-01-2012, 10:43 AM
I've been looking at the Windows phone. I feel screwed by Motorola on the Photon that I purchased earlier this year with my every 2 year upgrade. The only reason I got it was because Google had just purchased Moto and they PROMISED that the Photon would be upgraded to the new version of Android. Now they've changed their mind and aren't going to do it so I'm stuck with Gingerbread and I'm NOT happy.

Anyway, to the point. Since I upgraded to Win 8 on my computer, now I want a Win 8 Tablet and a Win 8 phone would make sense.

I feel like I'm wasting money with so many different OS's. Windows computer. Android phone, and tablet. iPod and iTunes for music. I'd like everything to be 100% compatible and sync with each other and the Chrome OS is too limited for me. Also I use MS and Adobe products and I want a tablet that runs them well as a real solution and an alternative to a laptop.

I never thought that would be Windows, but now Microsoft is looking pretty good as an all in one solution.

So I'm glad to hear that the Windows phone works well. It will probably be a while before I have all of my devices on one OS, but it's good to know that I think MS Windows is probably that solution.

billbenson
12-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Harold, explain Win8 to me. Is it just that it has a touch screen interface for tablets and a desktop configuration for desktop users?

Harold Mansfield
12-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Harold, explain Win8 to me. Is it just that it has a touch screen interface for tablets and a desktop configuration for desktop users?

Windows 8 is technically made with touchscreens in mind. But it works just fine on a desktop too, just like normal. I'm running it now and I don't have touch screen monitors.

The Surface and other tablets at the moment are actually running Windows 8 RT which is a scaled down version of Windows 8 for tablets that is not compatible with your old Windows 7 stuff. It's made 100% for Windows 8 stuff.

Actual tablets running full versions of Windows 8 Pro ( the same as you would run on a laptop or desktop) won't be out until Jan.

Right now you can get a touch screen laptop running the full version. Some of those are convertibles that you can fold the keyboard back behind the screen to give it a tablet look and feel, but there aren't any full version true tablets out yet.

The full version Windows 8 Pro tablets will run Windows 7 programs and apps as well.

Here's the breakdown the the 2 tablet versions:
Help me choose which Windows tablet is best for me - Microsoft Surface (http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/surface-with-windows-8-pro/help-me-choose)

You can upgrade your desktop or laptop to Windows 8 Pro from XP, Windows 7 and Vista. It's like $39 for the download and $69 for the disk.

That's pretty much the gist of it.

MyITGuy
12-01-2012, 01:43 PM
I've been looking at the Windows phone. I feel screwed by Motorola on the Photon that I purchased earlier this year with my every 2 year upgrade. The only reason I got it was because Google had just purchased Moto and they PROMISED that the Photon would be upgraded to the new version of Android. Now they've changed their mind and aren't going to do it so I'm stuck with Gingerbread and I'm NOT happy.

You could always root your device and run an updated Android OS (I.E. Cyanogenmod - [jellybean] unofficial cm10 by jokersax 8/29/2012 - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1787743))

MyITGuy
12-01-2012, 01:47 PM
The Windows 8 interface really works well on a smartphone. Response is great. Plus the start screen is very configurable. Not only can you change the order, but also the size and shape of the icons. Speed dial is very easy to setup and use. You simple pin the phone number to the start menu. So I configured mine to have a large phone button at the top, with several smaller speed dial button below. Each speed dial button has the person name displayed. Below that is a large calendar with my appointment for the day.

You can also speed dial anyone on your phone list. Simple hold the center button for about 3 second. And state "Call _________". You can open apps that same way. I even tried "Closest McDonold's" and "Closest Walmart". In both cases it popped up a map showing me where to go. The Nokia view app is wild. You hold the phone vertically and it shows you the business in that direct. As you turn, the view changes.

If you still need to find someone in your phone book. The look up is much easier. You can scroll the list list the iphone or android, but you can also tap to show an alphabet to jump to a specific letter.

I found the interface just easier to use than the Androids.

The camera is good. It has Carl Zeiss optics.

I did look at the new iPhone. It was small, more expensive and less usable than either the Androids or Windows phone.

Sounds like everything my Samsung Galaxy SIII can do which runs Android (As well as my Droid X and Droid Pro that I previously had), Except that I'm not sure on what optics are installed...

Either way, glad you enjoy the phone...everyone will have their favorite/preference =D

Harold Mansfield
12-01-2012, 01:53 PM
You could always root your device and run an updated Android OS (I.E. Cyanogenmod - [jellybean] unofficial cm10 by jokersax 8/29/2012 - xda-developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1787743))
I'm just not that comfortable doing that yet. I'm scared I'll screw up my phone and will have voided any warranty or possible support help.