PDA

View Full Version : Online College?

JessicaLee
11-28-2012, 12:04 PM
My (x) husband is currently deployed and I have a GI Bill that expires in 400 days. Is it totally ridiculous to continue my business education at an online school? I feel like it gets a bad name, but if my education does not require labs, I do not see why I need to be in a classroom. A large part of my previous education included being in a classroom while teleconferencing, so why not do it from home? Anyone have any reasons why online schooling is not the best idea?
Also, if you have recommendations for a good online school, please let me know. :)

nealrm
11-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Online schools are not all bad, provided they are done by a good schools. However, they all miss the interactive aspects with the other students and teacher. So from that aspect they are lacking from a regular classroom setting.

Pack-Secure
11-28-2012, 01:22 PM
I have heard some good things about online schools. The only drawback might be that some might wonder if you did the work or if somebody else behind the screen did the work. As far as an education, I would think you would receive a good education from an online school.

billbenson
11-28-2012, 02:44 PM
I would say that if you can't attend a physical school by all means do it online. Make sure its a good accredited school. Certainly don't waste those 400 days!

Also, hopefully Steve B will see this post. He's an ex HR guy and may have some ideas of the acceptance of these degrees in industry

Harold Mansfield
12-01-2012, 10:59 AM
I guess online schools can have the same drawbacks as any other, and it depends on the school. There are some crappy trade and technical schools out there too and many target G.I.'s specifically. Look out for that.

I'm guessing here, but I would think accreditation would be the big difference. Can you transfer credits from an online school to any other? Seems to me that would be the deciding factor in how well the particular school is respected professionally out in the real world. But that would also depend on the skills or profession.

Most major ( well known ) Universities have online degree programs now. I would assume theirs would carry the same weight across the board.
Just a quick search as an example and I came up with USC's Online Master of Arts in Teaching program.
Master of Arts in Teaching - MAT Degree Online | USC Rossier Online (http://rossieronline.usc.edu/academics/master-of-arts-in-teaching-program/)

Surely no employer would balk at any degree from USC.

Any attempt to get an education by any means is overall a good thing.

KristineS
12-03-2012, 12:06 PM
I got my degrees through a satellite campus of a major university in my state and I took some classes online. It worked well for me. What worked in my favor, however, is that the university did have a brick and mortar campus and an extension campus in my town with other extension sites throughout our state. Realistic or not, there is still a prejudice against strictly online degrees. You might be able to find an option from a brick and mortar university that would allow you to take some classes online, and do accelerated classes on weekends or evenings.

Gabe
12-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Jess, it all depends on the school. I had to complete my Master's degree online due to frequent relocation. I completed it through the University of Nebraska and it was a great program. A long as you get it from a university that people have actually heard of, you'll be fine. If you're going to put in the time, you might as well make it worthwhile and go to a school with a reputation.

billbenson
12-09-2012, 06:27 PM
I think University of Phoenix has a good reputation as well although I'd verify that before using them.

JessicaLee
12-19-2012, 10:49 AM
thank you for your responses :)

Freelancier
12-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Check out this article instead: Top college courses, for free? - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/23/opinion/koller-online-college-courses/index.html)

The OP's best bet, though, may be to find a traditional accredited college that provides online/distance learning options. Many of them do now.

KristineS
12-20-2012, 12:41 PM
The OP's best bet, though, may be to find a traditional accredited college that provides online/distance learning options. Many of them do now.

Have to agree with this. That's what I did, taking night and weekend classes and some classes online and it worked out well for me. Took a bit longer, but I was able to work full time and attend school.