PDA

View Full Version : I have a rat in my garbage can.

Russ in Vancouver
11-19-2012, 03:56 PM
How can I get rid of it. I dont want to release it, I dont want to scare it, I would like to dispose of it quickly and humanely.

Any suggestions?

Steve B
11-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Poison. Go to a farm supply store and get a poison and a container that prevents cats or dogs from getting to it. There are likely several rats, so catching them can be a long process and it will be hard to tell when you're done.

Freelancier
11-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Don't worry about "humane". Rats spread diseases. Worry about that instead.

billbenson
11-19-2012, 06:36 PM
I suggest a multipurpose tool such as a 12 gauge. Great for things like trimming trees and your little critter will never feel any pain. Just kidding :)

Pack-Secure
11-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Call Animal Control perhaps?

huggytree
11-19-2012, 08:41 PM
poison or a rat trap

its an animal, not a person.....you cant kill it 'nice'....just kill it
i wouldnt put up with a rat for a day...if i knew i had one in my garbage id have a trap set same day

good luck!

Russ in Vancouver
11-21-2012, 12:51 AM
thanks for replies.

Last week I went to my storage which is built onto the side of my garage. I saw poop on top of my rubbermaid storage bins and smelled urine. I went to HD right away and bought six spring traps. Loaded them up with a peanut butter bread mixture and caught 2 within an hour. I reset the traps and put back in same locations where I found rodent traffic. Nothing for 3 days. Then on Monday my FIL told me there is a rat in the garbage bin on our back patio off the mud room. OMG its like 40 inches tall, the garbage bin. I went and checked my traps again and found 2 set off but no rats and one set off with a dead rat about a foot away and another that did its job properly. FRACK I hate them rats, but I feel so bad to kill a captive rat. Im thinking Ill get a sticky mouse trap and put it on the end of a stick, lower it in and capture rat and them beer bottle it while its in a plastic bag.

Thanks for knocking some sense into me!!

I cant use poison because Ive got a dog and would also hate to find some rotting rats in my storage this springtime.

I think Ill have to go buy a gallon of DETTOL and spray the heck outa my storage areas.

billbenson
11-21-2012, 09:07 AM
I had one get into the stove a while back and die. It was in the electrical panel trapped or electrocuted in the wires. Boy did it stink I took the stove into the back yard and hosed out the electrical panel (electric stove). I also sprayed it with something to get rid of the smell. I figured I had nothing to loose hosing out the stove because if I ruined it, I'd have to buy a new one, and if I couldn't get the smell out I'd have to get another one. After a few days in the Florida sun the smell went away.

The poisons are designed so the rat gets thirsty and leaves for water. That doesn't work so well. but the poison does. I put it in areas around the outside of my house where the dogs don't have access to.

There are also boxes which you put the peanut butter in the back. It triggers a door trapping the mouse but not killing it. That's good for interior applications. I found one at a farm store.

Here they come from storm drains. I've had two in the last 5 years.

Harold Mansfield
11-21-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm normally a humane person, but wild, urban, garbage rats are vile, disease infested vermin. There is no being nice. 1 rat can have 20 babies, give your pets rabies, make your family sick and spread Bubonic plague through the neighborhood ( yeah, I just found out that still exists).

It's either you or it.

billbenson
11-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Now now Harold. they are cute little things :)

Harold Mansfield
11-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Now now Harold. they are cute little things :)
Puppies are cute.

I've been wondering what the rat clean up is like in NY and NJ. With the subway tunnels getting flooded, that had to wipe out decades of rats nests. It had to decrease the population.

billbenson
11-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Hadn't thought about that. I bet that's a stinky mess.

Russ in Vancouver
11-21-2012, 03:34 PM
i think imma go buy another half dozen traps and change up the bait. I found where they are denning and its all piled up with rat crap, i hope the xmas tree box wasnt compromised.

billbenson
11-21-2012, 04:41 PM
If you found that, why not just put some cheap fencing around it so the dogs can't get in there and toss some poison in there?

Steve B
11-22-2012, 07:57 AM
They have plastic boxes that are designed to put the poison in that the rats can get in - but dogs and cats cannot. I have one near my woodpile and I have a dog and cat that go outside all the time. The only risk is secondary poisoning if your dog/cat would eat the dead rat or mice that was poisoned.

I want you to know I had a dream last night about rats thanks to this thread!

huggytree
11-22-2012, 11:44 AM
when i go to Disneyworld i see those rat boxes all over the place....almost every bush has one under it

i always like to show my kids......i enjoy pointing out the nasty things in the most beautiful place on earth

ive seen 2 dead rats my whole life and 0 alive

im glad i live where i do

billbenson
11-22-2012, 12:08 PM
They have plastic boxes that are designed to put the poison in that the rats can get in - but dogs and cats cannot. I have one near my woodpile and I have a dog and cat that go outside all the time. The only risk is secondary poisoning if your dog/cat would eat the dead rat or mice that was poisoned.

I want you to know I had a dream last night about rats thanks to this thread!

That's a good idea. Rats also like eating in protected environments and they feel comfortable in the box.

For inside a house or garage I like the box that traps the mouse better because you don't have to search out where the dead rat is.

Just did a quick search. This is one I hadn't seen before. It electrocutes them. There was also a box that will trap but not kill up to 12 rats at a time. But then you still have a live rat to deal with. The electrocution box pictured below was pricy at $100.

Russ in Vancouver
11-23-2012, 01:45 PM
I will prolly implement a 24-7/365 plan. I found this site.
Rat Control Products (http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/rodents-animals-control-products/rat-rodent-control-products)

Thanks for everyones replies they all have been useful and appreciated.

huggytree
12-03-2012, 09:50 PM
i took the family hiking at a nature center.....went into the building to pay the fee and whats sitting in a cage ???

2 RATS!.....they took them out of their cages and let them walk freely around the table...my kids were allowed to pet them and even feed them....their fur felt just like a cats

the wife came out of the bathroom and saw her (3) kids petting Rats and she was horrified.....(wife is VERY scared of mice)....kids got marched right into the bathroom to wash hands

maybe you should live trap the Rats and turn them into Pets?

Steve B
12-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Rats are supposed to be great pets. I'm O.K. never verifyting that fact however.

Business magnate
01-24-2013, 08:15 PM
i took the family hiking at a nature center.....went into the building to pay the fee and whats sitting in a cage ???

2 RATS!.....they took them out of their cages and let them walk freely around the table...my kids were allowed to pet them and even feed them....their fur felt just like a cats

the wife came out of the bathroom and saw her (3) kids petting Rats and she was horrified.....(wife is VERY scared of mice)....kids got marched right into the bathroom to wash hands

maybe you should live trap the Rats and turn them into Pets?

OMG :confused: Now that's what I call nature center... :)

I think that, despite your recommendation, he should kill the rats and get a guinea pig!