PDA

View Full Version : Any PC users update or buy a Windows 8 Device yet?

Harold Mansfield
11-03-2012, 12:26 PM
I updated to Windows 8 yesterday. I have to say that the entire line of MS products from the new OS, to the 2013 Office products, the Tag system, Sky drive, even Bing are all pretty smooth. MS has really come up from the system that you have to use to now being a pleasure to use.

I like the new designs, everything seems to run much smoother and the tiled home page is pretty nice especially if you use the Toolbox app. It's about time people started thinking more about start and home pages than just a layout of app icons.

Has anyone else upgraded or purchased a new Windows 8 device yet?

I've been a critic of MS for a long time as I begrudgingly used their products, but I'm a big fan right now.

billbenson
11-03-2012, 01:03 PM
How much did they charge you for the upgrade?

Harold Mansfield
11-03-2012, 02:09 PM
How much did they charge you for the upgrade?
$39.99 Buy Windows - Microsoft Windows (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_SEM_GOO_Learn_Search_Txt_Desktop&semid=ef_GGL_e_9swm356vxire7dwtxl9f_16854406872&WT.search=1)

Rover
11-03-2012, 02:16 PM
$39.99 Buy Windows - Microsoft Windows (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_SEM_GOO_Learn_Search_Txt_Desktop&semid=ef_GGL_e_9swm356vxire7dwtxl9f_16854406872&WT.search=1)

That sounds like a steal!!

Same boat here, not a huge fan of MS. Just looked like windows 8 was more of a gimmick than a new innovating solution. Vista was awful but 7 was decent, may have to try 8 if it's only $40.

Harold Mansfield
11-03-2012, 02:30 PM
That sounds like a steal!!

Same boat here, not a huge fan of MS. Just looked like windows 8 was more of a gimmick than a new innovating solution. Vista was awful but 7 was decent, may have to try 8 if it's only $40.
I've only been playing with it for day, but it runs smooth as butter. Also using the Outlook 2013 and again, smooth. My 2010 Outlook was getting all glitchy.

I had a few apps that needed to be removed first that weren't compatible, but they did have Windows 8 updates available on their respective websites.
Display Like Core Software, for multiple monitors. And if you run Avast, you need to run the latest version or your tiles won't work.

Other than that, the only thing I lost was an old bluetooth software that I was running to connect my ear piece with Skype, but I won't miss it. Everything else is fine.

Be aware that it's like Apple and Android now, in that you sign into your computer with your MS account now, and not just a local password.

huggytree
11-04-2012, 09:34 AM
when i just bought my Dell (last week) Windows 8 was not even an option

Harold Mansfield
11-04-2012, 10:23 AM
when i just bought my Dell (last week) Windows 8 was not even an option
It was just officially launched last week. I think I remember mentioning that you should see if there was a free or cheap upgrade option when you purchased your computer since the launch was so close.

But honestly, at $39 for the upgrade, you've probably still saved money than buying one of the first Dell models with Windows 8 already installed. And it's not like you have to do it right away, but I would jump on it. This price seems strangely cheap. It may be an introductory price to attract people.