PDA

View Full Version : computer geeks...how come my quickbooks 2006 doesnt work on my new computer

huggytree
10-18-2012, 09:57 PM
i currently run quickbooks 2006 on my Acer w/ windows 7 (2.5-3 years old)

i have my brand new Dell with windows 7....i tried to load Quickbooks 2006...it says its incompatible....i spent 15 mins playing with it, no luck..i call Dell and my new friend from India spends 15 mins trying....he admits it wont work

so my nice new $600 computer now costs me another $190 for Quickbooks 2013

yea i know it was time to update anyways, but it just stinks

why does it work on one Windows 7 and not another??? are there different versions of Windows 7?...do i have windows 7.00 and windows 7.01

MyITGuy
10-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Two things that I can think of off the bat.

1st - Were you running Windows 7 Professional on your old laptop? This version has some functionality called "XP Mode" that allows you to run some applications that are really not compatible with Windows 7
2nd - You could've been running Windows 7 32 Bit, while your newer machine is most likely Windows 7 64 Bit which could cause issues with some older applications/drivers.

billbenson
10-18-2012, 11:06 PM
I either said it earlier in this thread or another thread, but software companies are moving to a strategy of forcing you to upgrade software. Windows is doing it and Quicken is probably doing it as well. They are in the business of selling software. They don't want you to be running 6 year old software. I doubt its a hardware issue and this is the stuff you are probably going to need to learn to live with along with the rest of us.

Why I recommended the premium Dell service plan is you get prompt service from someone in the US. If your computer tech guy you have been using is good, the service plan may not be a good recommendation though as it's expensive.

billbenson
10-18-2012, 11:17 PM
@Jeff, is windows not supporting or phasing out support of 32 bit software under the 64 bit Win 7 OS?

MyITGuy
10-18-2012, 11:57 PM
@Jeff, is windows not supporting or phasing out support of 32 bit software under the 64 bit Win 7 OS?

The industry as a whole is moving towards 64-bit hardware/software, but so far Microsoft hasn't discontinued supporting it. But unfortunately they do tend to change some API's, methods or procedures which will affect software that depends on these items which is something that XP Mode would assist with, but doesn't come in the Home or Home Premium editions.

nealrm
10-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Per the Intuit site, Quickbooks 2006 is not compatible with Windows 7 64 bit.

And, yes there are several different versions of Windows 7.

Harold Mansfield
10-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Cause your Quickbooks version is for Windows XP 32 bit, and your new computer is Windows 7 64 bit. Your version of Quickbooks was made before Windows 7 came out, so how can it be compatible? A lot of 32 bit programs won't work anymore, but most have upgrades.

Calling Dell is useless for that problem. They don't make Quickbooks. You should check the Intuit forums for others who have had the same problem.
http://community.intuit.com/posts/problems-installing-quickbooks-2006-on-windows-7-pc

billbenson
10-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Cause your Quickbooks version is for Windows XP 32 bit, and your new computer is Windows 7 64 bit. Your version of Quickbooks was made before Windows 7 came out, so how can it be compatible? A lot of 32 bit programs won't work anymore, but most have upgrades.

Calling Dell is useless for that problem. They don't make Quickbooks. You should check the Intuit forums for others who have had the same problem.
Problems installing QuickBooks 2006 on Windows 7 PC | Intuit Community (http://community.intuit.com/posts/problems-installing-quickbooks-2006-on-windows-7-pc)

In Linux, the OS emulates 32 bit programs when it detects one or at least was. Things are moving to 64 bit so fast that a 32 bit machine is kind of like having an Apple II

nealrm
10-19-2012, 10:55 AM
In Linux, the OS emulates 32 bit programs when it detects one or at least was. Things are moving to 64 bit so fast that a 32 bit machine is kind of like having an Apple II

I guess we will be having this same conversation in 6-10 years about 128 bit systems. Huggytree will probably be asking why his 2013 version will not work on the new version on windows 2020.

Is it bad that one of my first programs was with 8 bit assembly code?

Harold Mansfield
10-19-2012, 10:58 AM
When I got a 64 bit system I had to buy a new Quickbooks and new MS Office programs. It sucks. But I was running 2003/2007 versions of everything anyway. Thankfully most everything else I use is open source or web based.

billbenson
10-19-2012, 12:49 PM
When I got a 64 bit system I had to buy a new Quickbooks and new MS Office programs. It sucks. But I was running 2003/2007 versions of everything anyway. Thankfully most everything else I use is open source or web based.

@Huggy, it looks like you are stuck updating your quickbooks. As for MS Office, you can use LibreOffice instead. Its free and has just about everything MS Office has.

Harold Mansfield
11-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Now it's me.
I'm not upset that I have to upgrade to a new version of Quickbooks. I'm upset because there doesn't appear to be a way to import my settings, and more importantly, data.
I've decided to use the Online version of Quickbooks because I'm tired of going through this. However, Quickbooks isn't compatible with anything. It's a huge paid in the ass, and dare I say that this is the WORST accounting software to run your business on if you have to fear getting locked out of it because you upgraded your OS. I just purchased this 2 years ago. And now I can't even import my data to a new version of the same software? Total bullsh*t.

There is no patch. There is no fix. And the support threads give instruction based on opening the older program, which if you are trying to upgrade because of Windows 8, the problem is YOU CAN'T OPEN THE PROGRAM ANYMORE.

This brings back memories of switching from XP to Windows 7 now and having to start an entire new version of QB, completely losing all of my information from before. And now, 4 years later, it's still the same way.

What good is this software if it you loose your data every 2 years? I hate this company.
If I do indeed have to start all over again, it WILL NOT be with this piece of crap.

billbenson
11-11-2012, 04:24 PM
That's why I wrote my own in php / mysql.

Harold Mansfield
12-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Made an interesting discovery. I recently upgraded the RAM on my computer from 8G to 16G. The other day I went to open Quickbooks, completely forgetting that it wasn't working, and guess what? It worked! It opened and is functioning normally. It wasn't set to update anything automatically, actually after I was done doing what I needed, I checked for updates and did so.

Seems like Windows 8 is a little bit of a memory hog, and I do have more than most hooked up to my desktop. I should have considered this beforehand, but didn't notice any of the normal symptoms of not having enough RAM, so I equated the program not opening to the upgrade of the OS.

Anyway. All is well now.

huggytree
12-20-2012, 03:11 PM
it sucks to have to update software every 2 years, but its life.....just add the $$ into your business expenses and your customers will have to pay 1 cent more each

quickbooks is all i know....i intend to stick with them

billbenson
12-21-2012, 10:06 PM
it sucks to have to update software every 2 years, but its life.....just add the $$ into your business expenses and your customers will have to pay 1 cent more each

quickbooks is all i know....i intend to stick with them

It's the business model of most software and hardware manufacturers these days. Forced upgrades.