PDA

View Full Version : Routing Calls By Postcode in USA

ozetel
10-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Hey all those in the United States,

We set up 1300 and 1800 numbers that route by postcode entry for franchisors - allowing the caller to enter a postcode and be delivered to their most relevant franchisee.

Does the USA use this type of system? Or do you generally just have 0800 numbers routed directly to a store automatically based on where the caller is geographically?
What is the process like if you do or what might you do if not a postcode entry scenario?

You do have voice recognition delivery (ie say your suburb or store name) but was wondering if the postcode entry thing was used?

And hey, thanks for your idea (yes we kinda stole it 15 years ago) re: phonewords as it is a big part of our marketing for business phone numbers now. eg, 1300 PLUMBER etc etc.

Look fwd to chatting about the systems there, thank you

Harold Mansfield
10-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Hey all those in the United States,

We set up 1300 and 1800 numbers that route by postcode entry for franchisors - allowing the caller to enter a postcode and be delivered to their most relevant franchisee.

Does the USA use this type of system? Or do you generally just have 0800 numbers routed directly to a store automatically based on where the caller is geographically?
What is the process like if you do or what might you do if not a postcode entry scenario?

You do have voice recognition delivery (ie say your suburb or store name) but was wondering if the postcode entry thing was used?

And hey, thanks for your idea (yes we kinda stole it 15 years ago) re: phonewords as it is a big part of our marketing for business phone numbers now. eg, 1300 PLUMBER etc etc.

Look fwd to chatting about the systems there, thank you
Yeah, we pretty much have all of that here. We kind of invented it. The the first toll free number was issued the year I was born ( don't ask me why I remember that).
All the rest too. A buddy of mine is a franchisee for a company that advertises nationwide with one phone number. Every franchisee gets the calls that originate in their area. I don't think it's done by postal code though. I think it's done by area code of the caller.

As far as vanity numbers, those have been around as long as I remember. You can get them on pretty much any area code and toll free numbers including 800, 855, 866, 877, 888 and 900. You can also get them on mobile numbers too.

None of that is new stuff. Actually with so many mobile subscribers, I see less and less toll free numbers these days.