PDA

View Full Version : what laptop should i buy?

huggytree
10-05-2012, 04:49 PM
i have a Acer laptop currently...its 2-3 years old

its been crashing on me for 9 months now....(screen turns white)....i had my computer guy look at it and he spent 2 hours fixing it up for me....he said its a known Acer issue and if it happens again to get a new computer.....well its happening again

whats a good brand name and is there a model you recommend? any specials or deals right now?

i use it for Quickbooks and the internet...thats it....so i dont need much

thanks

Freelancier
10-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Have you considered just reloading the operating system? Often that will solve the problem with an older system... sometimes something gets loaded that makes everything unstable.

As for what laptop, just buy a name-brand one and get the at-home warranty repair. My recommendation if you want speed is to get at least 6 GB of RAM and to replace the hard drive with a static-RAM drive, which will boot up and run much faster (and use less battery power).

huggytree
10-05-2012, 08:00 PM
windows 7 or should i pay extra for windows 8?

ill most likely go Dell or HP

whatever Walmart has on sale

with my older computers it had a backup cd...i could reformat the hard drive and reload all the software....with my Acer im told you cannot make a backup disk and do that????

i am assuming my computer guy is good, but he's not all that great w/ business....so maybe he sucks as a computer guy....he's been in business for a long time and seems competent about computers...i actually bought the Acer from him, so it annoys me that he now says they have known issues

billbenson
10-05-2012, 08:11 PM
You might think about durability as well Huggy. I imagine you take your laptop with you when you work and you work in some fairly harsh environments.

My wife has had good luck with her Dell computers and the service packages can be good. You do usually get what you pay for as long as that isn't for features you don't need. I'd agree with Freelancier and get at least 6G of ram. I'm assuming you use Microsoft as your operating system. They seem to be trying to force people to upgrade to the latest software version these days. So you may want to think about what the basic system requirements will be in two years. Technology is requiring beefier and beefier machines even for those that don't need them. Also, I really put the lifespan of a computer at 2 to 3 years. You got a good life out of your existing machine.

As far as specs:

RAM 6G
USB Ports - 4 (external mouse, keyboard, printer, hard drive for backup)
Hard Drives - 2 (You can backup to the second one in case the first one fails or gets trashed by a virus).
Service Package

You may not use it for much, but it is a key business tool.

As far as the windows version, I'd go with 7, but expect to be forced into upgrading to win 8 in the next 2 years.

Freelancier
10-05-2012, 09:02 PM
A lot of computers don't come with the backup disks any more. It's cheaper that way. You can usually order the disks from the manufacturer or just get off-the-shelf copy of the OS (you just need the media, since you already have the license key usually attached to the box itself) and download the rest of the software and drivers from the manufacturer's site.

Look at Costco as well as Walmart. And, yes, expect that any computer's lifespan is about 3 years these days, so don't spend too much on it.

I always recommend waiting for service pack 1 of any operating system from Microsoft, although Win7 was the exception to the rule for me, since it was so stable coming out of the gate. Win8 is a new beast, with a whole new UI, so you should probably wait on that. Think of it like Vista... it looked really cool, but had lots of issues for the first year... and then we got SP1 and that helped.

MyITGuy
10-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Windows 7 would get my vote. I didn't like the "Metro" interface that was in the preview edition as it takes you several extra steps to do the same thing.

I'd recommend Dell, preferabbly the XPS line (I.E. The new XPS 15 is similar to what I picked up for personal use) if its in your budget. If your looking for a deal, check out the Dell "Outlet", you will see a link on the bottom left hand part of their homepage

Not a recommended move! Get it directly from Dell. Walmart deals with low-end products and you get what you pay for (If your lucky)....

with my older computers it had a backup cd...i could reformat the hard drive and reload all the software....with my Acer im told you cannot make a backup disk and do that????
CD's aren't included by default anymore, now they include it on a hidden partition of the hard drive, so pressing a certain key during boot up will bring up the process to reinstall/restore your computer. If your hard drive dies though your out of luck and will have to check with the manufacturer to see if they can ship you a CD which may have its own charge.

i am assuming my computer guy is good, but he's not all that great w/ business....so maybe he sucks as a computer guy....he's been in business for a long time and seems competent about computers...i actually bought the Acer from him, so it annoys me that he now says they have known issues
I'm not familiar with any known issues, but a quick search does turn up several similar issues which either is driver related (Which may not be your issue), or due to the cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard becoming worn/shorting out. If it is a case of the latter then I would agree with purchasing a new one if the issue returns.

huggytree
10-05-2012, 10:06 PM
the computer never leaves my basement, so it can be a fragile one

im looking in the $400-$500 range

is there a Dell for that price range that will work for me?

like i said earlier...i only use it for Quickbooks and the internet....almost anything would work for me

Pentium or Amd? is there any difference anymore???? (my current Acer is AMD)

Dell Inspiron 15r? do i need the 3rd generation processor? the 15r costs $100 more for the 3rd gen processor

Amazon's got the Dell 15r for $485, but at Dell its $549

Harold Mansfield
10-05-2012, 10:10 PM

You should definitely either wait for Windows 8 , or get one that has a free or cheap upgrade. Not a big fan of Dell. I've had HP's since my first desktop and they have always been rock solid for me. I swear by them.

Personally, I buy everything online. Amazon or New Egg. Better selection, cheaper prices.

MyITGuy
10-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Pentium or Amd? is there any difference anymore???? (my current Acer is AMD)
Intel gets my vote due to performance, power savings and heat.

Amazon's got the Dell 15r for $485, but at Dell its $549

Take note of the specifications. Taking a quick look at what I believe are the specs I see (Amazon vs. Dell):
i3-2350M @ 2.3GHz vs i3-2370M @ 2.4GHz
500GB Hard Drive vs 750GB Hard Drive
Unknown CD/RW Drive vs 8x Tray Load CD/DVD R/W
1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty with mail-in service vs 90 days Premium Phone Support + 1 Year In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis

Buying from an unknown vendor, who may be shipping out a refurbished/returned laptop vs buying from the manufacturer directly.

billbenson
10-06-2012, 12:55 AM
If that is the case, why not get a desktop. You can get a PC with a full sized keyboard and an a monitor you can see for the same price.

Not a big fan of Dell

They are all made in China. What sets dell apart IMO is their maintenance packages - although not cheap. My wife has a bad habit of spilling beverages on her laptop, dropping the thing, and using it for a food tray. In the last two years she's had 3 motherboards replaced, two keyboards, and I don't know what else. With the premier maintenance plan, you call a US English speaking tech, he does the remote diagnoses and sends a hysterical guy right out of Seinfeld to replace the motherboard or whatever.

With most PC's the maintenance program requires sending it back to the manufacturer. That can put you without a pc for two weeks. Or as Huggy does, use his local maintenance guy. But if its a warranty repair, it still needs to go back to HP or whoever in most cases.

The next laptop I buy for my wife will be a medium to high end Dell with the premium maintenance package.

Me, I have two desktops that I built. I just had a motherboard go bad on one so I stuck a new motherboard, processor, and ram in it for $500. The big price was the processor. The motherboard was $120 and had lots of features. 16G of ram was only $70! I maintain two PC's for hot standby.

Freelancier
10-06-2012, 07:45 AM
If that is the case, why not get a desktop. You can get a PC with a full sized keyboard and an a monitor you can see for the same price.

^^^ This. Laptops are for people who want to lug around their desktop applications. If you're not doing that, you get half the computer for twice the price with a laptop, so don't go that route. Instead, look for a deal on a desktop computer (buy it without the screen if you can't find a deal with a large enough screen, then buy the monitor separately).

If you want something to use at a customer site, go with an iPad or similar instead. Add a mobile hotspot if you want to be connected while driving down the highway instead of building in the cell service.

huggytree
10-06-2012, 03:35 PM
when you include the monitor i didnt think desk tops were any cheaper than lap tops????

Harold Mansfield
10-06-2012, 03:39 PM
when you include the monitor i didnt think desk tops were any cheaper than lap tops????
You can definitely get more for your money with a desktop. It's also easier to replace components if they blow, easier to customize for comfort (keyboards, speakers and such), and easier to expand ( additional drives, multiple monitors, RAM upgrade, etc) and generally come with more ports than a laptop.

I love my desktop.

Freelancier
10-06-2012, 09:41 PM
when you include the monitor i didnt think desk tops were any cheaper than lap tops???

Sure, you can get a laptop for the same price as a desktop. But the specs are not really comparable. Desktop components are designed for reduced power consumption, so they are designed to run slower (because faster consumes more power). Where you'll see it is in the CPU, the internal component speeds, the disk rotational speed, memory transfer speed, and the screen is going to be a lot smaller than what you should get for a desktop.

Harold Mansfield
10-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Sure, you can get a laptop for the same price as a desktop. But the specs are not really comparable. Desktop components are designed for reduced power consumption, so they are designed to run slower (because faster consumes more power). Where you'll see it is in the CPU, the internal component speeds, the disk rotational speed, memory transfer speed, and the screen is going to be a lot smaller than what you should get for a desktop.

You mean laptops don't you?

Freelancier
10-06-2012, 10:19 PM
You mean laptops don't you?

Yes. It's late. I'll stop now :)

MostHeather
10-07-2012, 07:49 AM
I have a Sony Vaio that I love. I bought it at Best Buy and paid a little extra to have the format disc in case I ever needed it. It was a little more expensive, but definitely worth it.

Keep us posted on what you decide on!

huggytree
10-07-2012, 09:10 AM
i will be getting a format disk this time

ill look into getting a desktop too....i wont ever need to add anything and as far as speed goes its just quickbooks...everything else i do is limited by my internet speed...i could probably get a computer from 1990 and not tell the difference for what i use a computer for.

when i get some free time i may run bye Best Buy or similar type store this week and get it done

Harold Mansfield
10-07-2012, 12:46 PM
when i get some free time i may run bye Best Buy or similar type store this week and get it done
Do you have Fry's where you are? They rock! Much better prices and a larger selection than Best Buy.
FRYS.com (http://www.frys.com/ac/storelocator/index.jsp)

MostHeather
10-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Sounds like a plan! If you aren't afraid to shop online, you might also consider Tiger Direct (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=17&cm_sp=Masthead-_-Computers-_-Spot%2002). We bought our barebones desktop computers there and were very happy with the pricing. Shipping was fast and we've been using them without issue for years now..

Forgot to say that they also sell 'refurbished' laptops if you aren't particular about buying something brand new..

billbenson
10-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Do you have Fry's where you are? They rock! Much better prices and a larger selection than Best Buy.
FRYS.com (http://www.frys.com/ac/storelocator/index.jsp)

The only places I know of that has Fry's is Vegas as you have stated, I believe Texas, and California. I just bought a motherboard from Fry's online. I needed one that was Linux compatable and actually got a sales guy on the phone that found one for me.

I've bought a lot of stuff from Tiger Direct as well, but the sales people are far less knowledgeable. Good prices and service though.

Freelancier
10-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Closest Fry's to him is likely in Chicago. Best Buy will try to sell you their store extended warranty, which is worthless, but the systems are aimed squarely at average users, so it's probably as good as anything. Also check Office Depot and Staples, etc., since they'll all have basically the same systems, and one of them may have sales this week on what you want.

billbenson
10-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Closest Fry's to him is likely in Chicago. Best Buy will try to sell you their store extended warranty, which is worthless, but the systems are aimed squarely at average users, so it's probably as good as anything. Also check Office Depot and Staples, etc., since they'll all have basically the same systems, and one of them may have sales this week on what you want.

For that matter, Walmart may be a good option. And they will probably be in business for a while. Best Buy is having financial problems.

huggytree
10-11-2012, 10:33 PM
anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Dell Inspiron 15r for $549 w/ the 2nd gen processor?

is it worth $50 more for the 3rd generation?

which one should i buy? am i not getting what i should for the $$ for $549 or $599????

my computer is getting worse by the day and i need to order this thing tomorrow or pull all my hair out...i have no time to go to walmart or bestbuy and shop around

billbenson
10-11-2012, 10:58 PM
I'd just say either way, get the warranty. The top warranty. Unless someone with more direct knowledge of that PC comes along, the processor just means speed and multitasking. You have said that those aren't an issue. For me, for $50, I'd go for the better processor. That's $2 per month over a projected 2 year life span. But that's just me. It might be an issue in two years as Windows requires more power from the pc???

Harold Mansfield
10-11-2012, 11:02 PM
anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Dell Inspiron 15r for $549 w/ the 2nd gen processor?

is it worth $50 more for the 3rd generation?

which one should i buy? am i not getting what i should for the $$ for $549 or $599????

my computer is getting worse by the day and i need to order this thing tomorrow or pull all my hair out...i have no time to go to walmart or bestbuy and shop around
I'm of the opinion that it's always best to get the newest model, unless it has a well known design or functionality flaw. Especially if we are only talking about $50. I'm not a big Dell fan, if I were getting a Laptop I'd get an HP, but at the $500 price point, it's not worth trying to save $50. It's already plenty cheap...by that I mean affordable in comparison.

ozetel
10-11-2012, 11:30 PM
I could recommend DELL and buying/leasing from them (business expense of course and easier on cash flow) was always the option we chose. The support appeared very good whenever (which wasnt often) we needed assistance. We had 5 all up for the business and had great success with all of them.

Having said that, we have switched to Mac and basically, wouldnt look back to windows. I know it is more expensive and you would probably have to pay a bit for conversion of quickbooks software so it may not suit where you are at.

So I would probably say DELL directly for the extra bit of money and piece of mind to deal with a support team if needed.

huggytree
10-12-2012, 07:47 AM
i bought the dell with the 3rd gen processor for $599

they charged me tax which i found odd...it must be located here in WI i assume then?

no option for Windows 8

i should have it mid week next week...mine is semi-crashing daily, so i cant wait

thanks for the help!

Harold Mansfield
10-12-2012, 08:24 AM
i bought the dell with the 3rd gen processor for $599

they charged me tax which i found odd...it must be located here in WI i assume then?

no option for Windows 8

i should have it mid week next week...mine is semi-crashing daily, so i cant wait

thanks for the help!
Good deal. Congrats.

billbenson
10-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Did you get the maintenance package?

Harold Mansfield
10-12-2012, 01:21 PM
A Terabyte of Memory, and 6G's of RAM for $599 is a good deal for a laptop no matter how you slice it. The burner is just a little icing on the cake. You probably gave up a little on the display at 780p, but for what you are using it for that was the perfect trade off to make for the memory, the RAM and a decent Intel processor.

Nice job Huggy.

huggytree
10-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Did you get the maintenance package?

nope

i typically dont have very many issues....i dont seem to get virus's......the only issues i typically get are w/ updates...i always end up with updates that dont work eventually...they keep coming up and they keep failing

i forgot about the backup disk..ill be sure to contact Dell when it gets here

MostHeather
10-13-2012, 07:18 AM
I'm happy to hear that you got your new computer ordered and hope that you get many years of use from it. Cheers!

fayt
10-13-2012, 12:44 PM
I highly recommend Lenovo (IBM) laptops. Top quality.