PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice or opinions

jamesray50
09-28-2012, 04:57 PM
I have an accounting software program for Mac. I don't have a Mac and it's not in my immediate budget to purchase one. I have been told that I can install Parallels on my Windows computer and run the software that way. The version of the program I have is supported by Mountain Lion. First of all, does anyone use Parallels on their Windows machine so they can run software designed for the Mac? If I decide to do this, how easy is it to do? I am technically challenged. Would it compromise the performance of my Windows machine? Anything else I would need to be aware of?

Thanks,

Harold Mansfield
09-28-2012, 05:34 PM
What kind of computer do you have....what version of Windows? XP, or Windows 7?
And how much RAM do you have?

nealrm
09-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Why don't you just get a Windows based accounting program?

jamesray50
09-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Why don't you just get a Windows based accounting program?

That is a good question. I do use the Windows based accounting program, but this program is also available for the Mac. I get the software free each year with my membership and I haven't been able to use it because I don't have a Mac. The last 2 out of 3 new clients I obtained were Mac users. I work on-site with one and remotely with the other. But, the program for the Mac is different than the Windows version and I would like to be able access the program on my computer so I can learn it and obtain new clients that I can work from backups.

Harold - my computer is an HP, model p6644y, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5500 @2.80 GHz, 2803 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 logical processor(s)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.68 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.78 GB

Disk space 863 GB free of 919 GB

Thanks Harold.

MyITGuy
09-29-2012, 11:18 AM
First of all, does anyone use Parallels on their Windows machine so they can run software designed for the Mac? If I decide to do this, how easy is it to do? I am technically challenged. Would it compromise the performance of my Windows machine? Anything else I would need to be aware of?

I haven't used Parallels, but I do have experience with similar products such as VMWare and Citrix Xen. Installing the software itself is fairly easy to do, however...setting up the Virtual Environment to run MAC software will be a bit more of an undertaking and may be a bit of a challenge.

If you do decide to move forward, expect to pay for a license for VMWare Workstation ($250) or Parallels ($80), then add on the cost of finding/purchasing the appropriate OS License (Looks like you need to buy Snow Leopard @ $100 then upgrade to Mountain Lion @ $20).

MyITGuy
09-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Here's a guide I quickly found on the internet if you want to tackle it:
Easily Run Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Retail on PC with VMware Image - Simple Steps (http://www.sysprobs.com/easily-run-mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-retail-on-pc-with-vmware-image)

As an alternative, you could look for a provider that offers desktop hosting (I quickly found Home (http://virtualmacosx.com/), but do not 'endorse' them)

jamesray50
09-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks Jeff. I'll take a look at the link you provided. I had also heard about VM Ware, but when I looked at their website I found it confusing, hard to understand. I had forgotten about hosting. I may look into that.