PDA

View Full Version : Xp o/s

Russ in Vancouver
07-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Hello,

I have an older tablet laptop (averatec c3500 tablet) that has the precious windows XP on it. I need it to run a program that will only work with XP. The software will run on win 7 as long as it has the virtual XP but I dont know how to do this.
I stopped using this tablet many years ago because it hung alot and seem really bogged down.
I read in fixya a recommendation to scan it for registry, malware and viruses rather than reset to default because the company "averatec" no longer provides support or the stylus drivers etc. They are hard to get and configure.

I have a spare licence for norton internet security that I will use for viruses, is there another malware scanner out there that anyone can recommend?
I have never messed with registry scans but I hear they produce fantastic results. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Harold Mansfield
07-29-2012, 05:35 PM
I use CCleaner and it seems to work just fine. Used it on XP too.
CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner)

And there's a free version.

MyITGuy
07-29-2012, 10:40 PM
I read in fixya a recommendation to scan it for registry, malware and viruses rather than reset to default because the company "averatec" no longer provides support or the stylus drivers etc. They are hard to get and configure.

I'd rather re-install and deal with the driver issue(s) rather than wasting time on a potential fix that may not work.

Here's some advice that may help:
Take an image/backup of the existing hard drive and store it on an external USB Drive.

1st - If absolutely needed, this image/backup can be restored back to the laptop in the event things don't go as planned.
2nd - If you move forward with the reinstall, you can use this image/backup as a source for the drivers.

Here is a site that turned up when doing a quick search...looks like they have the drivers you need:
TriGem (http://www.trigem.com/us/support/drivers.asp)

Good luck!

Russ in Vancouver
08-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Hey, thanks for replies..

The image, all I can remember from the last time i did this was norton ghost. Is there any easy to use and downloadable programs available these days?

Have a great weekend!!