PDA

View Full Version : what are the odds?

huggytree
06-20-2012, 01:22 PM
here in WI it typically gets into the 90's a few days to weeks every summer....this week its been 95 degrees 3 days in a row now....

what are the odds that id have to do plumbing work on ALL 3 DAYS in houses w/o Air Conditioning!!!!!????????

ive been soaken wet from 8am on....just dripping all over the customers houses....i installed a toilet yesterday that was dripping with dirty sweat/smear marks.....all of these houses were for very low end customers....2 of them should just be torn down....thats how bad they look...my sweat marks on their fixtures look like the rest of the house, so it didnt matter i guess...

i wish i were a internet designer like 98% of the rest of you on this forum...my job sucks this week

if i lived in Texas or Florida im sure id be used to it, but here in WI were used to 30-50 degree weather...not 90

tomorrow the temp goes back down to 75, and i bet ill be in air conditioned houses the rest of the week

Harold Mansfield
06-20-2012, 03:50 PM
It's been 90 degrees by 6 a.m. here, with high's in the low 100's to 110. Around 4% humidity. Always hellfire sunny. No clouds. No breeze. And when it is windy, it's "wildfire warning" windy.
That's normal for us through Sept, and it's one of the reasons that I'm glad I not only work indoors, but at home.

I feel for you.

KristineS
06-20-2012, 04:53 PM
It's been 90+ in Northern Michigan for the last few days, too. I feel for anyone who works outside or without air conditioning. I spent some time back in our warehouse and thought I was going to sweat to death. It's brutal.

huggytree
06-20-2012, 05:54 PM
how can anyone in 2012 not have a window air conditioner? thats what i dont get...cant you get one for $100 on craigs list?

why suffer because of $100

it just shocks me.....i didnt know people in 2012 still live like this way.....obviously it must be a large part of our society since i found 3 of them in 3 days

my plan is to retire to Florida some day....the past 3 days makes me think on it some more

MyITGuy
06-20-2012, 06:53 PM
if i lived in Texas or Florida im sure id be used to it, but here in WI were used to 30-50 degree weather...not 90
Just because it's almost always warm/hot here doesn't mean we get used to it...just means more people are likely to have their A/C on and running =D

But yes, this year (and last) weather patterns are strange. Last year our winter ran extremely long/colder than normal, this year we have had nothing but rain for the last few weeks, which is what we should've had months ago.

billbenson
06-20-2012, 09:03 PM
While there may be some acclimation involved, I think it is mostly personal. I grew up in a suburb of Chicago where there were a handful of 90 degree and humid days and I enjoyed them. I didn't realize there were places that were like that much of the year. I'll turn the air on in the humid days, but much prefer a home ventilation system. AC units lower the humidity levels which is the oppressing part. When I turn the air on, its between 84 and 87. I find that comfortable. Rather have the windows open and the breeze running through though.

huggytree
06-21-2012, 08:09 AM
my air conditioning is set at 75

i find that comfortable....at 87 id be waking up soaken wet with sweat

even with it set at 75 i still have a fan running in my room...

todays temps are down into the low 80's high 70's.....guess what? the house i was in today had air conditioning.....tomorrow's house...air conditioning....

TanaB
06-29-2012, 06:40 AM
Ugh! That must be terrible! Here in the UK it's, well, cool and cloudy...

DeniseTaylor
06-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Hi Huggytree

Your week does sound a bit disappointing. ;-(

I have family in the Midwest and they won't spend a dime on things - especially things that make it more comfortable. Strong willed, frugal people, they are. However, most of the family have finally upgraded to a/c by now. They are not low-enders, either. Just frugal!

Love Wisconsin, by the way! :D

huggytree
06-29-2012, 10:04 PM
back to hot weather....and guess what?

yesterday close to 100 degrees...no air conditioning
today 95 and 1/2 the day w/ no air conditioning the other 1/2 was spend in 85 degree air....i should have given them a discount to crank up the air for me

im starting to think 25% of Wisconsin has no air conditioning....crazy!!!!!...all the area's i end up working in on hot days are low end area's

i think God is laughing at me....i started carrying a fan in my truck this week....i carry it around the house from room to room and aim it right at me at all times...it really works well...i didnt suffer nearly as much this week even though it was hotter...