PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Definition Of Success?

PressureWashing
03-18-2012, 05:17 AM
Just wondering what your definition of success is?
Can you define it?

huggytree
03-18-2012, 08:25 AM
when you reach your goal

when i went into business i knew how much i expected to make......i met that goal and considered myself successful

now i have a new goal that im working on....i am successful for the size and type of business that i am....now i want to be larger and make MORE

DeniseTaylor
03-19-2012, 11:09 AM
I define success as being happy, achieving things you wish to achieve and have control over your life. There is a monetary aspect to it, but I personally don't put all my eggs into the money basket. There are many people who chase the money, but aren't happy and have little control over their lives. In that respect, money can be a trap.

I'd rather realize my own dreams, rather than the kind of dream the media imposes (for example).

KristineS
03-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Living up to my potential, doing what interests me and being good at doing it.

huggytree
03-19-2012, 08:57 PM
most people would measure success by how much $$ you make

being happy is different than success(i prefer both)

billbenson
03-19-2012, 09:07 PM
most people would measure success by how much $$ you make

being happy is different than success(i prefer both)

I don't think so. Athletes, people who promote special interest groups or charities, etc. Making money is only being successful at making money! And that is usually a moving target anyway.

Harold Mansfield
03-20-2012, 12:48 PM
For me it pretty much boils down to money. All of the other things fall into place when you aren't worried about paying the bills.

Some would say just doing what I like and being able to support myself doing it is success. Unfortunately I don't love anything so much that just getting by would be good enough for me.
If I can't get ahead...save some money, plan for retirement, pay for my own health insurance, buy the luxury items that I want and need, then to me it's not successful. It's just a job.

huggytree
03-20-2012, 07:26 PM
I don't think so. Athletes, people who promote special interest groups or charities, etc. Making money is only being successful at making money! And that is usually a moving target anyway.

i was speaking in terms of a business

a charity's success could be measured by money and what it accomplishes for its need

i dont think a normal business would be measured by what it accomplishes for its need......its all about money

sports would also be measured by accomplishments and money

billbenson
03-20-2012, 09:14 PM
i was speaking in terms of a business

a charity's success could be measured by money and what it accomplishes for its need

i dont think a normal business would be measured by what it accomplishes for its need......its all about money

sports would also be measured by accomplishments and money

I was really saying both in general and small business owners. There are a number of business owners here who have chosen businesses with a finite top end financially. That is not to say they couldn't change their business models into one that is more financially lucrative. Vangogh has said that he pretty much wants to stay a one man shop (correct me if I'm wrong on that Steve). That is limiting his top end. That's not to say that he can't change his business model to a much larger organization.

In my case, I'm 56 y/o. I need to make at least $1M per year for a few years IMO to have a comfortable safe retirement some time down the road. I think that is very doable. If I was 25 that figure would be much lower.

Watchdog
04-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Here's my list of what defines success.

Mark Zuckerberg,
Sergey Brin,
Larry Page,
Andrew Mason,
the twelve person crew at instagram,
Angie Hicks,

and the list goes on and on.

These folks got what they have because the expected more from themselves and maybe from others around them.

Dan Furman
04-30-2012, 01:03 AM
I define success as being happy, achieving things you wish to achieve and have control over your life. There is a monetary aspect to it, but I personally don't put all my eggs into the money basket. There are many people who chase the money, but aren't happy and have little control over their lives. In that respect, money can be a trap.

I'd rather realize my own dreams, rather than the kind of dream the media imposes (for example).

I have a few friends like this. They are not very invested in any job (they don;t want to work their life away). And they play. A lot.

And they are broke. And pretty miserable about it. Life flat out sucks when your fridge breaks and you can't afford another one.

We've made a society where money is important. Right or wrong, it's very tough to live a satisfying life without it.

Dan Furman
04-30-2012, 01:03 AM
stupid forum posted twice :)

Ok, I'll give my definition - in general terms, I want to be able to do what I want, when I want.

I'm there now.

guessen
05-07-2012, 05:01 PM
success is achieving. satisfaction. respect.

Blessed
05-07-2012, 11:49 PM
I like Dan's definition - having the ability to do what I want, when I want - that's success. If I can do that it means that I have the money to do it, it means that I have the time to do it, it means that I have the support I need to do it.

Not there yet - but definitely working towards it!

billbenson
05-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Johnny Carson once said "the best thing about having money is you don't need to worry about having money".

I like that and think its accurate. I want to have fun working and have enough money that I don't need to worry about having money.

KristineS
05-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Johnny Carson once said "the best thing about having money is you don't need to worry about having money".

I like that and think its accurate. I want to have fun working and have enough money that I don't need to worry about having money.

Ooh, I like that. I'm not driven by money, but not having to worry about it would be awesome.

TanaB
06-29-2012, 06:42 AM
For me success is when you wake up in the morning happy, and you go to bed happy. It doesn't matter whatever happens in between but if you can go to bed feeling happy and grateful for all life has given you, you can write yourself down as a successful person. :)

KristineS
06-29-2012, 11:57 AM
For me success is when you wake up in the morning happy, and you go to bed happy. It doesn't matter whatever happens in between but if you can go to bed feeling happy and grateful for all life has given you, you can write yourself down as a successful person. :)

That's a good definition too. It's also harder to achieve then it sounds.

Elabusiness
07-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Many are the definitions we found out be as professional success, but the truth is that each of us knows exactly when and how you feel victorious. Regardless of personal feelings, habits and skills are recognized as necessary to obtain results in the pursuit of professional success. They are: negotiation skills, teamwork, public speaking, time management, relationships with people, lead and learn constantly!!

Wozcreative
09-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Being successful to me is being a well respected graphic designer and make enough money to continue the way I like to run my lifestyle. I am already at the point where I get people emailing me after finding me on google or seeing something I've done and telling me they liked my work. I get students emailing me asking me questions, saying things like they hope to become as successful as me (that is a really sweet thing to hear.).

My current goals at the moment are to figure out ways to not work as much and make the same amount of money (I work A LOT). That way I can have more free time to do the things that I want for myself like more time to paint, try new things, go on a vacation etc. One way that I am currently working my way to reaching this goal is restructuring my website and portfolio to set a different tone to my design and web services for potential clients.

Freelancier
10-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Paul Anka wrote the lyrics in 4 hours for Frank Sinatra:

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention

That's mine. Live your life to have too few regrets and you'll find your successes.