PDA

View Full Version : Nope. I'm not dead yet. Quite the opposite.

Harold Mansfield
03-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Let's just say that 2011 was a rough year for me. Not the break out season that I was looking forward to after 2010 made things look so promising.
Suffice it to say, I had to do some pretty heinous things to keep the bills paid...like get a day job. The horror.

I can't blame it all on the economy. I made some pretty lazy mistakes that were hard to recoup from once I started noticing the results, and it's been really difficult to
pull out of the tail spin, but I'm on the way again.

Anyway. Hopefully my trials mean learned lessons and advice for those walking the path behind me.

Year #3 is the charm right?

How's everyone else doing?

vangogh
03-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Good to see you back Harold. I knew we'd eventually see you again and yes, you have been missed. Ughh…a job. You know we have rules about bad language here.

The only mistakes you can make are the ones you don't learn from. If you learned enough to not make the same mistake then you haven't made a mistake at all. I think everyone here could share stories of things we did wrong and learned not to do again. It's the people who don't learn that don't make it on their own. No one does everything right from day one.

Third time is a charm or so I've heard. I think year #3 was the one for me. Let's hope it's the same for you too.

Doing well here. Been pretty busy lately, though I usually am through fall and winter so it's hard for me to know if this year is something different or the usual seasonal pattern.

By the way I noticed the redesign on your site. Looks good. I'm liking your logo a lot.

Business Attorney
03-04-2012, 03:17 AM
Good to see you again, Harold. I knew you were alive because I saw your tweets and LinkedIn posts and was hoping you'd find some time to wander back here.

billbenson
03-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Good to see you back Eborg!

huggytree
03-04-2012, 01:08 PM
if i had to go back to working for someone else it would kill me....id be analyzing their decisions all day long.....and the headache's i used to get would come back

hope year #3 is better for you.....year #3 is when referrals finally started coming in steady for me....in year #5 i dont have to bother with networking anymore...work just comes in by itsef

2012 is looking very good at this point........some people i deal with are still going under, but many are making come backs

Harold Mansfield
03-04-2012, 02:15 PM
if i had to go back to working for someone else it would kill me....id be analyzing their decisions all day long.....and the headache's i used to get would come back

It actually wasn't too bad. Very informal. Besides working with one of the guys to build their website whenever he was actually in, I basically sat at my desk as the standby, all around tech guy for anything that plugged into an outlet...from everyone's computers, the phone system, and internet set up, to the printer and programming people's phones with ring tones. (*Ugh).

I spent most days on Facebook, and even got to do some side work for any incoming work of my own. So I can't complain too much. It got me out of a jam and kept it moving.

greenoak
03-05-2012, 06:28 PM
welcome back.... what i hear from my business friends is mostly good and that a real upturn going o n...
.we are gong great guns on facebook and now having fun on pinterest.... have virtually dropped the blog and are keeping the website front and center...

Patrysha
03-05-2012, 08:56 PM
2011 was brutal for me too :-) 2012 is starting off slow for me...lots to work through on the personal side of things and that's affecting business, but I'm getting there. I have a day job and am considering (hoping for) an upgrade...I'm up for a senior management position in marketing. The separation/divorce process is kicking my ass emotionally and I think I'd be a better employee than entrepeneur right now...

Harold Mansfield
03-06-2012, 10:04 PM
2011 was brutal for me too :-) 2012 is starting off slow for me...lots to work through on the personal side of things and that's affecting business, but I'm getting there. I have a day job and am considering (hoping for) an upgrade...I'm up for a senior management position in marketing. The separation/divorce process is kicking my ass emotionally and I think I'd be a better employee than entrepeneur right now...

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the separation/divorce thing. It's incredibly difficult to be an entrepreneur when your mind is on life, and uncertainty.

Here's hoping it's a better year for both of us. For everyone.

KristineS
03-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Harold!

So great to see you! Vangogh said he thought you'd be stopping by sometime soon.

Things are going well for me, although I'm swamped, and the lure of going out on my own is getting stronger and stronger. Haven't quite figured it all out yet, but I'm working on it. Health issues make it a little harder for me.

Anyway, I'm glad you're back with us and hopefully year 3 will be the year for you.