PDA

View Full Version : pinterest

greenoak
02-08-2012, 08:24 AM
i just read that pinterest has more outbound links to websites than google+ and linked in combined..... wow!!! also read that it was missed by the normal tekkie early adopters because they were not in touch with the mass of people who use it....partly because they are so deep in a tekk world and that world tends to be too insulated from, or isnt interesting to or is over the heads of the masses of internet users. ...and they get deeeper and deeper into their area..maybe getting far from the big actioni taking place.......
like facebook, pinterest fits my business like a glove...where it wouldnt fit an info tekkie site at all...but its really huge with my market....and i would guess its huge with food folks and fashion folks and garden folks too...its great for me personally too becasue its so fast and easy and fun....

vangogh
02-08-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm not surprised by the linking. Google+ and LinkedIn have a lot of content that isn't about links, where everything posted to Pinterest becomes a link. I don't think it means Pinterest is the most popular or most used of the 3. More a matter of what each site specifically does. Still pretty impressive. Google+ is new, but LinkedIn has been around much longer than both.

I'd disagree though that the tech world missed Pinterest. I think it's simply about who the site appeals to. If you look through the categories on Pinterest you see things like Hair & Beauty, Wedding & Events, Apparel. Not exactly things that appeal the typical tech geek. There are categories for technology and other things that should appeal to the tech savvy community, but I think Pinterest simply appeals to a different group of people.

where it wouldnt fit an info tekkie site at all

I think that's more what it's about. I wouldn't call that missing it. Just that Pinterest appeals to a different group of people. However the more Pinterest shows it can drive traffic the more likely you're going to see internet marketers jump on board.

I think it's great you're there and using it. It's easy to see how it fits your business well. I would also think your customers are ideal Pinterest users.

It's definitely growing and gaining more attention too. I keep seeing more and more articles written about Pinterest wherever I look.

greenoak
02-08-2012, 07:11 PM
i think they were counting where people were coming to my website ,outbound link, from a pinterest picture with my website on it....... that doesnt happen every time, even tho they see it....
i would think a goal of google + is to get people to the website..heres the article...http://articles.cnn.com/2012-02-06/tech/tech_web_pinterest-website-cashmore_1_sites-social-networks-early-adopters?_s=PM:TECH
ive been on a board full of web marketers and web gurus recently,me hoping to find other brick and mortar businesses who are actively using social media and facing the issues that interest me, ......but more often im finding nice tekk people giving out advice and wanting to sell advice and services on facebook when they have 42 followers...etc...i want to hear from ones who have 4000 followers... if you know what i mean...
.so they arent really tuned in to my situation......i doubt if most of them wil ever make it... the thing i think is so often missed is that the real popular facebook pages in the outside world are a natural outgrowth of an actual business ... when we started facebook we had an email database of 3000 people who were already interested in us...so different than someone wanting to sell internet advice to the world ..those folks sure have a lot of competition!!!

vangogh
02-08-2012, 11:17 PM
After I replied earlier I found this article. Pinterest nearly equals Twitter and Google in referral traffic (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57370130-93/pinterest-nearly-equals-twitter-and-google-in-referral-traffic/). There's a table at the bottom of the article showing the results of a study by a company called Shareaholic which is used to share content on a variety of social networks.

According to Shareaholic Pinterest delivered nearly as much traffic as Twitter and nearly as much as Google. Not Google+, but Google. It delivered a lot more traffic than LinkedIn and Google+ That's a lot of traffic being delivered by Pinterest.

I wonder if the article you found is also based on the Shareaholic study. Regardless it's pretty impressive for Pinterest.

i would think a goal of google + is to get people to the website

I think Google would actually rather keep people on Google+ They aren't showing ads on Google+ right now, but in all likelihood they will in time. I think their goal is more along the lines of Facebook which is to keep people on the site as long as possible. Google the search engine wants to get people websites, ideally through ads, but I think Google+ would prefer to keep people on Google+ or if people leave have them go to another Google property like the search engine or Gmail.

I found a couple of other articles about Pinterest today that mentioned a potential negative

New social site Pinterest attracts enthusiasm, scrutiny (http://www.macworld.com/article/165279/2012/02/new_social_site_pinterest_attracts_enthusiasm_scru tiny.html)
Pinterest is quietly generating revenue by modifying user submitted pins. (http://llsocial.com/2012/02/pinterest-modifying-user-submitted-pins/)

Both articles are about the same thing. When someone posts an image from a site that has an affiliate program, Pinterest has been modifying the link to add Pinterest's affiliate code. Then if someone goes through the link and buys a product, Pinterest collect some money.

I don't think it's such a big deal, but some people are complaining that Pinterest should be more open about what they're doing. They probably should be. I think it's now a requirement in the US that sites that have affiliate links need to disclose that they do. However, I really don't think it's a big deal. There's nothing inherently wrong with affiliate links and Pinterest does have a right to make money.

natalia
06-07-2012, 03:32 AM
I find the discussion here is so interesting, as I just got invitation by pinterest. Will use it surely....

AlexMc
06-19-2012, 04:21 PM
I found a great article that compared Pinterest to window shopping (http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/06/04/sorry-facebook-shoppers-prefer-pinterest/) and stated that more people are likely to purchase from Pinterest than Facebook. I have to agree, there's just something more natural about Pinterest...

vangogh
06-20-2012, 01:14 AM
I think a lot of it is how nice it looks. People like images. They communicate a lot and you want to see what you're buying before you buy. I think the window shopping comparison is a good one. That is what you're doing.

Thanks for the link to the article.

KristineS
06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Pinterest is definitely window shopping - that's why it's so great for companies that sell things like art and fashion or handmade goods. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

MissesBeatriz
07-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the article! Just read it! I definitely agree with "As a Pinterest user, I can 'collect' photos of products I love from so many different stores and save them in various pin boards. It's a great way to make your own wish list of sorts, and click through later on to purchase." I just started using Pinterest. I didn't want to but I did. It's fun, easy, it's my virtual moodboard and wishlist when I'm extremely bored. I've always been a visual person and use to cut out magazine pictures or clip images from different websites but now it's all so easy. Maybe it's a chick thing? ;)

StefanT
07-23-2012, 11:03 AM
I definitely feel like I am behind! I just started using Twitter and now I have to get up to speed on Pinterest!

Is there anywhere you guys recommend that I should start to get a handle on this? It seems I'm gonna have to learn pretty quick! :confused:

vangogh
07-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Stefan, don't feel like you have to jump into every social site. There really isn't enough time. With all these networks the main idea is no different that interacting with any group of people you know. Go into the community with the idea of getting to know people and contributing to the community. Then know that each different site has it's own features and each different community will have its own unwritten rules. Where Twitter is good for sharing links and news and quick thoughts, Pinterest is about sharing images.

The way to learn is to visit the sites and see what you can do. With most of them you'll probably need an account to really see what the community and site is all about. Be consistent with your username across all the different sites so people who know you on one will recognize you on another. Pick a username that's your real name, a consistent username, or the name of your business. I'd go with either real or username. It usually goes over better.

There aren't any secrets to any of these sites. Join and get to know people. Think about them as real people sharing some stuff in common and not specifically as a place to market. When you think them as communities of real people you can contribute to, you'll ultimately gain more marketing benefit back.

DeniseTaylor
07-24-2012, 04:05 PM
If anyone is interested, we're having a Live Pinterest Seminar on our Facebook page, tomorrow. The expert speaker will share ideas on how to use it and make the most of it.

See my sig for the time. It points to where to go to participate.

StefanT
07-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Thanks for your suggestions! That is really helpful.

Elabusiness
07-26-2012, 03:00 PM
At first sight the Pinterest social networking media could be very similar to Flickr or even Tumblr. But this media goes beyond and not only keep you favourite images. The orriginal name comes from the junction of "pin" plus "interest". On Pinterest you separate your favourite images as per boards. You can follow people like you do on Twitter and also you could re-pin (like Twitter does too with people's comments but on Pinterest you do as pictures of other Pinterest you like too. You could also comment and "like" it . Everytime you access to a website and Pin it , you can post a comment too.

CallboxInc
07-31-2012, 04:03 AM
Pinterest is making a mark as a social network. One reason why it generates plenty of links is because people find it entertaining. It is visually stimulating.

vangogh
07-31-2012, 12:04 PM
That it is. Shows that design aesthetics to count for something.

KristineS
07-31-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm actually finding Pinterest more and more useful and am considering using it in my personal life, which I don't do much with other social media outlets. It's a great way to become a curator for information, and to save all the things that have meaning to you or are interesting in one place. It's also great for business, if used correctly.

vangogh
08-01-2012, 12:13 AM
I haven't been using it to connect with other people or even view what others have pinned. I do come across a lot of nice images and I pin those that grab me under a few different categories. I don't even check my own pins. I'm curious to see what I end up collecting after a few months time and then maybe I'll organize them in some way. I have caught some creative uses of Pinterest by others.