PDA

View Full Version : Dog bit me!

billbenson
12-30-2011, 07:03 PM
RANT

This is the end of a truly lousy year. Broke my nose, dislocated my knee cap twice (a chronic injury with a 4 month recovery time), hard drive crash and lost lots of data and money (my fault for not setting up my backups properly).

I have a silkie terrier. Its a 7 lbs dog that looks just like a yorkie but comes from australia. He's a good dog but has a temper. I put him in a crate at night or he'll pee in the house.

So last night I went to pick him up and put him in his cage. I have him trained to go in on his own, but ever since we took care of a neighbors dog for a week a month or so ago, he won't do it. The little sucker bit me. I don't mean a nip, I mean some bone deep puncture wounds on my thumb and hand. Put some antibiotics on it and went to bed.

Got up this morning and my thumb was extremely swollen. It wasn't the puncture wounds that hurt as much as I think he just plain crushed my thumb with his jaws. It feels just like someone stuck it in a vice and kept tightening it. Its one of the more painful injuries I've ever had. Went to the doctor. They were puncture wounds so no stitches.

And no, I'm not going to get rid of the dog. I know his temperament and should have let him calm down for a few minutes before trying to pick him up. Its pretty much my fault.

So I don't have much good to say about 2011 and am anxious for a better year next year.

/RANT

huggytree
12-30-2011, 09:16 PM
ive always been told once a dog bites he will bite again....any kids in the house?

had a customers German Shepard bite me earlier this year...second he saw me he lunged at me..no warning at all.....he had the dog killed because there were kids in the house

i still flinch 4 months later when a new dog comes up to me......about 25% of the houses i go into have dogs

ill give a positive dog story.....golden retriever....i was laying down 1/2 under a kitchen sink and the dog came over and laid down next to me tight...SPOONING! ME!.......the homeowner laughed for 2 minutes straight when she saw the dog lay down

billbenson
12-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Ya, but your not a dog person huggy. This one was my fault, not the dogs. He isn't a dog I'd want in a house with infants or young children, but that's not an issue.

ive always been told once a dog bites he will bite again

That's about as accurate as saying someone who shoots somebody will shoot somebody again. When you are in a bad neighborhood and gang thugs surround you and you shoot one, does that mean you will shoot someone again. Then a serial killer who was abused since he was a child. Is that the same.

Generalities like the quoted statement are almost always wrong.

Blessed
12-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Here is hoping you have a better year next year... I had a few of those issues with my hard drive crashing at the end of last year and the logic board going out on my laptop while I was out of town and on deadline this spring, sigh... Not fun! Fortunately I was able to recover most of my work - but I need to do something better in the backup dept, it's just figuring out what!

billbenson
12-31-2011, 12:58 AM
Here is hoping you have a better year next year... I had a few of those issues with my hard drive crashing at the end of last year and the logic board going out on my laptop while I was out of town and on deadline this spring, sigh... Not fun! Fortunately I was able to recover most of my work - but I need to do something better in the backup dept, it's just figuring out what!
Thanks. Not looking for sympathy. Made a bunch of errors in 2011 and had some bad luck. Just looking forward to a new year and a clean slate!!!

christinagilman
12-31-2011, 03:24 AM
Here's to a better 2012! :)

huggytree
12-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Y
That's about as accurate as saying someone who shoots somebody will shoot somebody again. When you are in a bad neighborhood and gang thugs surround you and you shoot one, does that mean you will shoot someone again. Then a serial killer who was abused since he was a child. Is that the same.

your comparing a person to a dog....dogs dont think...they do.....little Cujo's got a taste of blood....he will need to 'feed' again

nealrm
12-31-2011, 11:23 AM
For those of you needing backup I suggest Carbinite. Unlimited off-site storage, works in the background, very easy interface for determining what gets backed up and what does not, you can also browse the files that were backed-up and restore select files. The only down side is that it can take a few days to get everything uploaded initially, but it is done when the computer is not being used. I had to restore my computer from a hard drive crash last month and didn't lose a single file and everything was up to date.

They have a free trial and a referral program. It will get you and me an extra 1 month free. If you are interested PM me with your email addresses.

I understand the dog problems. We deal with them all the time. There are too types of problems, those that are aggressive and those that are too friendly. Too many owner don't understand that the loving dog my act differently when they are not around. Many get scared by the camera equipment or the flash.

By the way, this is not exclusively a dog issue. We have had issues with cats, turkeys, geese, horses and goats.

billbenson
12-31-2011, 12:23 PM
your comparing a person to a dog....dogs dont think...they do.....little Cujo's got a taste of blood....he will need to 'feed' again

You can get a TV show. The huggy whisperer.

huggytree
12-31-2011, 03:27 PM
maybe your dog got bit by a Zombie?? and now can never be trusted again

will you ever trust your dog again? your always going to remember

2011 was a difficult year in my industry....i have hope for 2012...not much, but some

MyITGuy
01-01-2012, 12:47 AM
I need to do something better in the backup dept, it's just figuring out what!

I personally use iDrive.com - I pay $15/mo to backup 500GB of data for up to 5 computers. They also have a free edition that backups up 2GB for free (additional 10GB for free if you refer 5 people).

As far as the original post, here's to 2012 and a better year for everyone!

Russ in Vancouver
01-05-2012, 12:17 PM
My 80lb bulldog bit me pretty bad about 15 years ago. I look at my scar often and still have only fond memories of him.
It was totally my fault, I left a full garbage bag in the yard and he got into it. I chased him with a rake and he bit my hand right between my thumb and pointing finger. Thank god he didnt intend to injure me. It was just a nip with his canine but it went an inch deep into the muscle. If he gripped and shook, I would have been missing some fingers.
After this happened, many friends and family told me I should euthanize him but I never ever considered this route. After the incident I never distrusted or doubted his love for me. Thor bit me when he was 2 and he lived to 16, he was the best dog I ever had and I hope my next dog will be just as loyal, brave, protective, goofy and love spongy as he was. RIP Thor and Loki

KristineS
01-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Wow, Bill, sounds like it was a bit of a rough year for you! Here's hoping 2012 will prove to be a better year! :)