PDA

View Full Version : how's business for you during the Christmas/new years weeks?

huggytree
12-17-2011, 05:39 PM
just wondering who's business gets slow for 2 weeks around Christmas?

im typically busy getting remodels done right before Christmas(everyone wants to show them off)
and im typically dead in the water the week between Christmas and new years........i assume unless your in retail your slow too?

billbenson
12-17-2011, 05:54 PM
As I'm B2B mostly and the products I sell wouldn't be purchased for a gift, business is dead. Starts to slow just before Thanksgiving as company employees use the holiday in conjunction with the short work week to take vacation time.

Sometimes companies do have year end money though. I can get a big order as many companies have a budget and it's spend it or loose it.

J from Michigan
12-17-2011, 05:59 PM
We're usually swamped up until Dec 24th... then, it's hibernation time.

Steve B
12-17-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm slow because it's winter, but I had a couple jobs because people wanted to surprise their kids with a dog for Christmas.

huggytree
12-18-2011, 08:46 AM
i typically dont start any new projects in Jan/Feb......i am just finishing up existing ones.....

this year i went into winter the strongest ive ever gone....so i will most likely have a good Jan/Feb

new projects typically start getting bid in Feb/march with the market starting back up in Late March Early April.....

i wonder if construction is as seasonal in warm climates? Florida or Texas?

jamesray50
12-18-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm a bookkeeping business and I just picked up a new business that needed all their customers and invoices and payments entered into QuickBooks for the entire year. They couldn't give me a backup because their former accounting firm wouldn't give it to them. So I'm doing manual entries, plus he emails me daily when he needs an invoice emailed to him to send to his customer. Paid me on time for last month. He sells office supplies and sold me copy paper at his cost. Great deal. And has offered to put my brochure in his orders to his customers. If only I had a brochure!

billbenson
12-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Congrats Jo Ellen!!

jamesray50
12-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks. Happy Holidays to everyone!

duniaputri
12-18-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm a bookkeeping business and I just picked up a new business that needed all their customers and invoices and payments entered into QuickBooks for the entire year. They couldn't give me a backup because their former accounting firm wouldn't give it to them. So I'm doing manual entries, plus he emails me daily when he needs an invoice emailed to him to send to his customer. Paid me on time for last month. He sells office supplies and sold me copy paper at his cost. Great deal. And has offered to put my brochure in his orders to his customers. If only I had a brochure! wow.. Bookkeeping? is it like *errr* Shopkeeper in a Book Store? or in the Warehouse of A Publisher *yes, idiot me. hahaha*

duniaputri
12-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks. Happy Holidays to everyone!

Christmas Holiday, you mean? yes! surely.. Happy and Merry Christmas, soon.. \(^O^)/

duniaputri
12-18-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm slow because it's winter, but I had a couple jobs because people wanted to surprise their kids with a dog for Christmas. are you playing Santa? ahaha! interesting Cosplay then *you know, that habit - Cosplay? - in Japan, it's so popular..* :D

greenoak
12-19-2011, 07:55 AM
OUR BIG RUSH IS OVER by december , now is the time to regroup , reaccess, recreate , and make the store more and better for next year... dec and jan are the slowest months...

SnellExperts
12-21-2011, 04:39 PM
We slowed down a little bit. Not a whole lot, but it was still a good thing though because we are renovating the office and the time off is giving us enough time to take care of this, so it is a nice trade off.

SC93
12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
I cancelled all work for next week and we are headed to Key West, Florida. I hope 2012 is as easy as 2011 was. But, if I hadn't cancelled it would have been the same as normal. My business stays about the same year around... it always has unless I make it do otherwise.

SteveM
12-22-2011, 04:00 PM
I really don't like December at all with my convenience store. Everybody leaves town, the college kids are gone, and business is slow. Sad, but I've come to fear Christmas more than like it.

huggytree
12-22-2011, 09:18 PM
im still crazy busy...working 9-11 hour days...im the only one in construction working the Monday after Christmas

looks like the 1st week of Jan things will finally slow down a bit.....im taking the family to Disney at the end of Jan to celebrate an awesome 2 months (best 2 month period i ever had)

if my work level is anywhere near how it is now i will hire in March 2012 and spend my free time marketing to grow further..

SnellExperts
12-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I bet that does hurt around this time of year. Well the good thing is that the season is almost over, and you have made it through the worst of it :)

huggytree
12-27-2011, 08:10 AM
2 months with as much work as i can handle and it still looks like the first week of Jan will be dead slow....40-60 hour weeks for 8 weeks and then ZERO

SnellExperts
12-27-2011, 08:08 PM
That stings. Hopefully the slow period won't be for too long...just enough time to give you a breather and then get right back to it.

Steve B
12-28-2011, 11:20 PM
I will have my best December and 4th quarter ever - thanks to the warm weather. Unfortunately, my 2nd and 3rd quarter were terrible, so it won't make up enough ground.

Blessed
12-30-2011, 10:51 AM
My workload hasn't really slowed down or picked up - it's been fairly steady, but I expected that with an event coming up in about 6 weeks that I do promo work for and then CR work during the event for - and more of the same following close on that one's heels all the way into April!