PDA

View Full Version : link rot

greenoak
12-05-2011, 10:02 PM
i learned a new word today...LINK ROT..... about all the sites that are no more... 404..... and as i went thru some 3 yr old files looking for pictures more than half of them were gone.... out of business i assume...

billbenson
12-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Back in the linking days, the people that did a lot of interlinking ran programs that detected the people that weren't linking back or dead links. I suspect that there are scripts (programs) that are easy to install and will find these for you. Hot Scripts would be a likely place to look. If you are worried about it you could have your web person look for you.

greenoak
12-05-2011, 10:34 PM
I FIGURED THEY WERE OUT OF BUSINESS... IS THAT NOT RIGHT? i know a few of them have closed up... it was mostly fun art or collage sites that i was saving. i guess i could find out if they are still there by googling the names...i never did interlinking, for ulterior motives...i did link to some......
most businesses dont make it, i guess that might apply to interenet busnesses too...

billbenson
12-06-2011, 12:12 AM
most businesses dont make it, i guess that might apply to interenet busnesses too...

Most internet businesses don't make it IMO because there is still the perception of having a website is instant money. Also the effort to put up a wordpress site and wait for the orders is pretty small. No effort, no investment; kinda a model that frequently ends in failure.

If you choose the internet sales route, you will usually have a much lower overhead which I think you can relate to Ann. But do expect a long learning curve / time frame to build your business up. Years not milliseconds! It takes time and skill to bring customers to a brick and mortar retail store. It's no different online.

greenoak
12-06-2011, 07:37 AM
im not interested in internet sales.... but very interested in internet as a crucial marketing tool....
what you said is true of so many small brick and mortar businesses too..... the survival rate is so low....
i think another big misconception is that what you like the customers will like... or thinking you are on the right t rack when there is way too little customer feedback proving that ... .... i dont see many being very critical of their own ideas.... which is hard.... then they waste way too much time when it probably isnt going to work out....

DeniseTaylor
12-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Most internet businesses don't make it IMO because there is still the perception of having a website is instant money. Also the effort to put up a wordpress site and wait for the orders is pretty small. No effort, no investment; kinda a model that frequently ends in failure.

If you choose the internet sales route, you will usually have a much lower overhead which I think you can relate to Ann. But do expect a long learning curve / time frame to build your business up. Years not milliseconds! It takes time and skill to bring customers to a brick and mortar retail store. It's no different online.

I could not agree more. :cool:

Business Attorney
12-08-2011, 12:27 AM
it was mostly fun art or collage sites that i was saving.

There are lots of reasons that links are bad. Going out of business is certainly one reason, but there are many others.

A lot of art/hobby/craft sites were personal sites on GeoCities or a few other sites that offered to host free web pages for users and have subsequently gone out of business, taking all their users sites down with them if the user sites weren't moved before the main site shut down. According to Wikipedia, there were at least 38 million user-built pages on GeoCities before it was shut down

In other cases, people may have had their own sites and simply lost interest and let them lapse.

In some cases, they have moved the sites or even just restructured them and renamed pages, so the material is still there, just not at the same link.

Many of the sites can that are gone can still be found if you go to Internet Archive at www.archive.org (http://www.archive.org) and type in the original link. They haven't archived the entire Internet but they have certainly captured large chunks of it.

greenoak
12-08-2011, 08:49 AM
thanks david......that makes a lot of sense..... i need to clean up my files....